P1000 Extra shift motor

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had some problems while on a ride last Saturday. It kept dying out in the middle of no where pretty well with no phone service. Finally got it back to the truck and got it home. Through up code 57. I cleaned some of the connections. Took the shift motor out and cleaned. Put it back in and now it fine. As of right now anyways. Would an aftermarket shift motor be good to carry along in rides? If so which one? Quadboss has one for around $100

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
That's up to you if you want to carry that part, but its failure rate is minimal. As far as I have heard anyways.
There have been no mass issues with it. But there have been some.
I would replace it with OEM and be done.

Instead, maybe, familiarize yourself with the manual shift shaft and the emergency valve operation so you can get home.
Look around page 240 in your owner's manual.
But I guess that depends on where you ride and how far away you will be alone or not.

Ok.
Thanks.

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I seen the shaft and new it had that but I didn't know how to do it. It's under warranty so I talked to the dealer yesterday and told them the situation. He told me that I did everything that they would do. So in a way I guess I screwed my self for right now. It's gonna have to do it again before they can work on it. We are going on another ride the weekend after labor day at the same place. I'm gonna have to ride the crap out of it before then.

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it more so to make my wife feel more comfortable about going. She is very leery about going again. This was a new group we went with and they were all hesitant about pulling us back. My regular group would have said, let hook up the strap and get out of here. My self, I would help tow anyone no matter where we are. I also told my wife that every single sxs can fail while riding at any given time. Even brand new.

Last edited:
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I carry a extra one with me. in fact it's the oem one ,that failed on a ride . I've cleaned it up and used it untill I bought a after market one. This was one has about 8000 klms on it now. I'am not sure what brand it was ,but it's still working great. I should take it apart and check it out to make sure the armature is nice and clean. As long as it seals up good and it's not burnt looking it will be good to go. Like mentioned above Familiarize with emergency shift valve operation just in case you ever need it.

Last edited:
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it more so to make my wife feel more comfortable about going. She is very leery about going again. This was a new group we went with and they were all hesitant about pulling us back. My regular group would have said, let hook up the strap and get out of here. My self, I would help tow anyone no matter where we are. I also told my wife that every single sxs can fail while riding at any given time. Even brand new.
That first sentence would be worth $100 spare part to me

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know several of my friends and family have the pioneer 1000. If I or anyone else would need it right then, it would be worth having. I carry spare injector wires too. Really no difference than the rzr's we rode with last weekend. They carried axles, belts,tie rods and a bunch other stuff

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!