P1000 Factory UTV or Trail Armor Skids?

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Trying to decide between factory UTV and trail armor skids. Seems that they will price match so price shouldn't be too much of a concern...just looking for opinions on which one to get? I am leaning towards the factory utv because it appears to be less pieces which would seem to be a better option. Kind of like that trail armor has more holes for easier cleaning... Thanks!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just throwing this out there, but a 3rd choice is full skids from S&S Fabricating out of KY. It's powder coated aluminum in any color you want. Along with the best looking a-arm guards I've ever seen. And they can cut any logo in them you want. 750 bucks to your door. You mentioned liking fewer pieces so be warned their skid is 4 pieces. But it's well made and I've tested it pretty darn good with rocks the size of Volkswagens lol. Just a thought.....

R

RideRed1000

Mar 2, 2016
Cali
I remember when Trail Armor used to say their aluminum skids were better than uhmw before they made uhmw skids. Now they think uhmw is good, ha ha. I got the Factory UTV on mine as do almost all the major off road UTV race teams. I like that they were the first to sell uhmw skids back in the day. I beat the crap out If them on my rzr for years.Great product and customer service.

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Just throwing this out there, but a 3rd choice is full skids from S&S Fabricating out of KY. It's powder coated aluminum in any color you want. Along with the best looking a-arm guards I've ever seen. And they can cut any logo in them you want. 750 bucks to your door. You mentioned liking fewer pieces so be warned their skid is 4 pieces. But it's well made and I've tested it pretty darn good with rocks the size of Volkswagens lol. Just a thought.....

I can second this and say that I have used mine quite a bit and it works great!

Reactions: Delton
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I like UHMW best I've got the UHMW skid and A arm guards.. The aluminum skid from S&S fab look great tho i just like uhmw. You can alway cut some 1 1/2 inch holes for better clean out in either UHMW skid.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Trail Armor. The owner is a real nice lady who took the time to call me back and tell me she would price match. Fit and finish was awesome, install was a breeze. Clean-out holes are great. I'm not sure which, but one of the other companies is only 3/8" where TA is 1/2". May not seem like a big difference, but remember this IS a heavy machine, 1700lbs, plus throw 5 guys in it and you're pushing a ton and a half of awesomeness slamming down on a rock. I'd rather go 1/2" regardless of brand.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like Factory UTV P-1000 belly skid is one piece by how it looks on the website. It this true? I like that idea of just the 3 piece kit for total underbody.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Factory UTV is a 3 piece skid plate. Then there are the 4 a arm guards

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
I just installed my Trail Armor last Saturday and they fit perfect. I wouldn't let the "more pieces" thing factor in to my decision after seeing how they fit together... they have like a ledge that overlaps at the joint and they butt up tight. To me I think its an advantage because if you need to get to something you only have to remove a section instead of the whole dang thing.
Im sure all of the brands have their good and bad points and here are 3 things that I didn't care for on the Trail Armor (but im picky)... the very outer edge of holes didn't like up in the middle of the frame tube youre supposed to screw into, it was off a little bit. I put the rear one in on both sides and left the rest out. The skids stick out from the body about an inch so I stepped on the lip to test and it didn't move, im 295 lbs, so I think its ok to leave those screws out. The 2 other things I didn't like had to do with the a arm guards... on the front, I don't know why the front lip doesn't go all the way across, seems like it could be wider, and on the rear guards, the brackets that hold them on are a b**** and don't fit very good because the3y are flat and the arm has a curve. I got them on there after 3 tries. But overall I think they are badass, id recommend them and id buy them again.

AaaSKIDafter AaaSKIDafterBACK AaaSKIDafterFRONT AaaSKIDarmsFRONT

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I just installed my Trail Armor last Saturday and they fit perfect. I wouldn't let the "more pieces" thing factor in to my decision after seeing how they fit together... they have like a ledge that overlaps at the joint and they butt up tight. To me I think its an advantage because if you need to get to something you only have to remove a section instead of the whole dang thing.
Im sure all of the brands have their good and bad points and here are 3 things that I didn't care for on the Trail Armor (but im picky)... the very outer edge of holes didn't like up in the middle of the frame tube youre supposed to screw into, it was off a little bit. I put the rear one in on both sides and left the rest out. The skids stick out from the body about an inch so I stepped on the lip to test and it didn't move, im 295 lbs, so I think its ok to leave those screws out. The 2 other things I didn't like had to do with the a arm guards... on the front, I don't know why the front lip doesn't go all the way across, seems like it could be wider, and on the rear guards, the brackets that hold them on are a b**** and don't fit very good because the3y are flat and the arm has a curve. I got them on there after 3 tries. But overall I think they are badass, id recommend them and id buy them again.

View attachment 12407 View attachment 12408 View attachment 12409 View attachment 12410
I agree with what you said about the front guards. They leave a huge hole open. I guess their that way because the factory guards, but i would want them to cover more.

advertisement
Bonehead69

Bonehead69

Nov 4, 2015
I have the trail Armour ones. Wait till you til a tree stump or downed tree just right.....they will pop right off. I had both of them pop off when i was doing technical trail riding( making new trails) tree branch went under front tire rose up and hit the guard just right. Popped right off. then of course all my RZR buddies were making fun of me. Pissed me off. And yeah a total Bit** to get back on.

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
I have the trail Armour ones. Wait till you til a tree stump or downed tree just right.....they will pop right off. I had both of them pop off when i was doing technical trail riding( making new trails) tree branch went under front tire rose up and hit the guard just right. Popped right off. then of course all my RZR buddies were making fun of me. Pissed me off. And yeah a total Bit** to get back on.
Well that's sucks! I might try to modify them by drilling a couple of holes and mounting them with U-bolts after hearing that.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Self tapping screws aren't the best holding sometimes lol. If you ever remove them they are usually done. I like the Ubolt idea

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
Self tapping screws aren't the best holding sometimes lol. If you ever remove them they are usually done. I like the Ubolt idea
They don't use self-tappers on the a arms, they use a clamshell type bracket that's squeezes on the arm when tightened and its just held in place by friction/pressure. I love the skids on the belly, but don't care for the a arm guard design....

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They don't use self-tappers on the a arms, they use a clamshell type bracket that's squeezes on the arm when tightened and its just held in place by friction/pressure. I love the skids on the belly, but don't care for the a arm guard design....
Sorry I thought he meant the skid plate fell off.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Got the factory utv skids and a arm guards. Really like the a arm guards and skids but not crazy how far forward the skid plate comes behind the front tires. If I install larger tires I will have to cut the skid plate behind front tire to make room for clearance. It also doesn't cover as far on the rear as the trail armor but don't think that's going to be a big deal.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is very valuable discussion for me. I'm going to purchase a set but haven't made up my mind on which yet. I think it is a lot of money for something not aligning correctly. I recall several folks here that have Trail Armor skids but that's the first I have heard concerning misalignment. The discussion on the A-arm guards are also new to me and give me second thoughts... I hope other chime in with opinion and experience.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I have the Trail Armor A-Arms guards, and I didn't like the way any of them fit, or the way they attached either. I'm pretty handy around the tool box, but it wasn't a pleasant experience installing them. Once completed, and adjusted correctly ,I'm quite pleased with them. I go over a whole lot of downed trees and branches every time I go Wheelin. No problems yet. That would sick if they got pulled off due to a wedged branch or stick. I guess I'd rather have them come off due to a less than perfect mounting design, than not come off or bend up inside the area around the front end components, which would probably be way more of a problem when out in the sticks, than it would be to just toss the ripped off guard into the bed, and move on.

Reactions: dotman1
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anything is better than what comes from factory. I couldn't believe how flimsy stock skid was

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
This is so much more exciting than I expected !!!
I feel like I'm 8 years old today and just got a big present.

I was in the middle of a seat heat fix - I have to finish that and test drive before I start the skids. I dont want to be wondering what changed the temps in the cab - skids or heat fix.

Oh yeah - now that I got them, I'm glad I got the 1/2inch not 3/8.

Also confused why Trail Armour would not respond to my request for a quote. Maybe they don't like shipping to Canada.

IMG 2713

Reactions: ToddACimer and BWAF
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!