Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I took this pic today. Lake Havasu City staging area South of town. Just a semi flat spot you park anywhere you want. Hundreds of places along the trail look just like it.

View attachment 315672 View attachment 315673
Nice, that would certainly make suitable staging ground. Any chance you’ll be up Kingman way, and might supply us similar photos at that country’s staging areas?

Reactions: Biteme and Pilgrim
G

GoodStuff

Nov 4, 2020
Lake Havasu AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found a list of places to start from in Kingman on the AZPT Facebook group. I’ve scoured the maps and satellite but there doesn’t seem to be any large dirt areas to start from aside from the Havasupai Mountain Campground.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
For those of you that have purchased the AZPT atlas, does it do a good job of breaking down the rough parts of the trail vs the parts that are smoother?

Has it been determined that the group is leaving from Kingman and running clockwise?

Thanks,

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For those of you that have purchased the AZPT atlas, does it do a good job of breaking down the rough parts of the trail vs the parts that are smoother?

Has it been determined that the group is leaving from Kingman and running clockwise?

Thanks,

Rob
That would be yes to both questions….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Found a list of places to start from in Kingman on the AZPT Facebook group. I’ve scoured the maps and satellite but there doesn’t seem to be any large dirt areas to start from aside from the Havasupai Mountain Campground.

Is it possible to post this info via any other platform than Facebook for those of us who don’t use Facebook???

Reactions: Biteme
G

GoodStuff

Nov 4, 2020
Lake Havasu AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it possible to post this info via any other platform than Facebook for those of us who don’t use Facebook???
It’s basically a list of recommendations for Best Western Kings Inn or the Hualapai Mtn Campground. There were other recommendations near Bullhead City, AZ. The best western may be fenced in at least. I will just start a day early from Havasu. I personally wouldn’t leave truck and trailer unattended for a week on the side of the road.

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Still trying to get ducks in a row for this.

I'm currently working on EPS, locker and shocks. While I'm doing the electrical work on turn signals and horn, I thought about doing some aux lights. But i may hold off if we have no plans of running the caravan of Hondas at night.

When people did the Rim Rocker, did you have to travel in the dark at all?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It’s basically a list of recommendations for Best Western Kings Inn or the Hualapai Mtn Campground. There were other recommendations near Bullhead City, AZ. The best western may be fenced in at least. I will just start a day early from Havasu. I personally wouldn’t leave truck and trailer unattended for a week on the side of the road.
This is going to be the 7th cross country I’ve done leaving trucks and trailers for a week. Not real concerned about that, although never just on the side of the road, always in a designated trail head staging area designed for such purpose. This is why it’s important that we determine the location and details of the Kingman trailhead parking, if in fact there is one????

Last edited:
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Still trying to get ducks in a row for this.

I'm currently working on EPS, locker and shocks. While I'm doing the electrical work on turn signals and horn, I thought about doing some aux lights. But i may hold off if we have no plans of running the caravan of Hondas at night.

When people did the Rim Rocker, did you have to travel in the dark at all?
We did travel one night in the dark after several of us got stuck in a bogey mess and lost a couple hours which put us to our campground after dark. Other than that, sometimes some of us set out on evening side trail rides, and others stay in camp….

Sounds like you’re making good progress on your machine. Are you planning on the non resident Arizona street legal plate and sticker for yours? Looks to be that state is friendly to non residents….

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
We did travel one night in the dark after several of us got stuck in a bogey mess and lost a couple hours which put us to our campground after dark. Other than that, sometimes some of us set out on evening side trail rides, and others stay in camp….

Sounds like you’re making good progress on your machine. Are you planning on the non resident Arizona street legal plate and sticker for yours? Looks to be that state is friendly to non residents….
This seems like the best choice at this time. Was going to register it in the Black Hills as SD was willing to take my money, but they want way too much of it! I was going to have to pay SD tax on my P520 purchase, even though I didn't buy it in SD or live there. So, getting a plate and sticker from AZ seems like the best option.

Do people run just regular flags or are light up whips the best?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This seems like the best choice at this time. Was going to register it in the Black Hills as SD was willing to take my money, but they want way too much of it! I was going to have to pay SD tax on my P520 purchase, even though I didn't buy it in SD or live there. So, getting a plate and sticker from AZ seems like the best option.

Do people run just regular flags or are light up whips the best?
I see flags mounted on both….
Just need to make sure it tops at 8’ from the ground….
@WhiteLightning is going to be making some ride specific flags like we had on the Rimrocker….👍

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
John
I sent emails to the Kingman BLM and the tourism board, never got a response from the BLM but this is what I received from the tourism board:

“Unfortunately, Kingman has an ordinance prohibiting in town overnight parking. With the exception of using RV and Camping facilities. Again, I can send you a Kingman brochure (if you’d like). These facilities are on the brochure listing addresses, phone numbers, and amenities. These facilities are listed on our website under “Stay”, then “Camping”.

There is some dry camping west on Route 66 just east of Cool Springs (roughly 24 miles west of Kingman).

Secondly, is dry camping off Interstate 40 east of Kingman at DW Ranch Road to the south.

Hope this might help you some way.
ED

looks like we may have to park elsewhere

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
John
I sent emails to the Kingman BLM and the tourism board, never got a response from the BLM but this is what I received from the tourism board:

“Unfortunately, Kingman has an ordinance prohibiting in town overnight parking. With the exception of using RV and Camping facilities. Again, I can send you a Kingman brochure (if you’d like). These facilities are on the brochure listing addresses, phone numbers, and amenities. These facilities are listed on our website under “Stay”, then “Camping”.

There is some dry camping west on Route 66 just east of Cool Springs (roughly 24 miles west of Kingman).

Secondly, is dry camping off Interstate 40 east of Kingman at DW Ranch Road to the south.

Hope this might help you some way.
ED

looks like we may have to park elsewhere
Thanks Byron, we have a couple of guys that are traveling to Kingman late February to lay eyes on the situation and find a suitable place for us to leave out trucks and scout out a suitable motel for everyone to stay the night before departure and again when we have completed the loop and arrived back in Kingman…

Hopefully they will find what we need….👍

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks Byron, we have a couple of guys that are traveling to Kingman late February to lay eyes on the situation and find a suitable place for us to leave out trucks and scout out a suitable motel for everyone to stay the night before departure and again when we have completed the loop and arrived back in Kingman…

Hopefully they will find what we need….👍
We stayed at the Roadway Inn in Kingman because it was on the trail and just a few blocks to the turn onto Hualapai Mountain Rd and also the Dambar & Steakhouse. They have a large concrete area behind the motel and the restaurant next to them. A lot of large trucks were parking there. But plenty of extra room. Maybe give them a call and ask if it’s ok. Tell them how many rooms you will book for those days on each end of the trip if you can park there for the week. We saw truck/trailers parked everywhere along the trail and wide spots along roadways. Didn’t seem to be an issue. We rented a house in Lake Havasu for 2 months so we had parking there.

2E6EC67C C3EA 4402 A9E3 10364683B25C

Reactions: ByronM and Biteme
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is going to be the 7th cross country I’ve done leaving trucks and trailers for a week. Not real concerned about that, although never just on the side of the road, always in a designated trail head staging area designed for such purpose. This is why it’s important that we determine the location and details of the Kingman trailhead parking, if in fact there is one??
Nice, that would certainly make suitable staging ground. Any chance you’ll be up Kingman way, and might supply us similar photos at that country’s staging areas?
Sorry I headed south out of Lake Havasu on the trip home. I don’t think they have many designated AZPT trailhead parking areas. I think we saw one but it was way south of there. It seemed like people just parked wherever they wanted in places I wouldn’t leave my truck but I think the “everyone is packing” mentality keeps the crime in check.

Last edited:
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hope this helps. I didn’t write this. It was an email from Mark West, a guide, to a friend of mine.

How, When & Where?
In light of this season to experience the most activity seen on the Arizona Peace Trail, comes many questions. Rightfully, this is a good thing as this this group and many other resources provide an excellent means of gaining insights on how to plan your Greatest Adventure off road.
I'm a firm believer in "keeping it simple". There's a lot of decisions and equal number of options. First, how will you start your AZPT? "How and "Where" are fairly close in the basics of forming your plan. Simply, deciding where you'll start from. Quartzsite, Salome and Kingman offer excellent staging. Quartzsite offers a specific AZPT staging area and the Stagecoach Motel is a great place to stay with eating within walking distance. Salome provides staging at Stanford Inn, having their own Bar/Cafe, with the Salome Restaurant about 3 miles west on Hwy 60. Kingman provides excellent staging at the Best Western Kings Inn, with AZPT discount on your stay there. Equally, two very good restaurants within walking distance. Years ago I staged in Bullhead, rented a space for a week at Right Place Storage, very reasonable and secure. Yuma and Lake Havasu provides a greater challenge for staging. The two motels in Fortuna don't allow staging, limited parking as it is. Regarding Lake Havasu, if you're intent on starting from there, I would recommend reaching out to the local UTV groups and our AZPT group members for recommendations.
Staging and where you start are obviously one in the same. Of the countless Peace Trails runs I've done, I've started from Salome, as I'm staged there for the duration of the season. However, with respect to a starting point, you have two of the Peace Trail longest runs either north or south. For the ease of getting acquainted to following your GPS/Maps, I personally feel the southern route is your best choice. If time is an issue, the Peace Trail offers an alternate route when you reach the farmlands, a little pavement saves a whole lot of time. Plus you can top off your fuel in Welton. Going north provides a little greater challenge along with time issues. From Salome via Tank Pass (new route on latest AZPT download Jan 21, you circle around towards Lake Alamo, stopping at the Wayside is always recommended, huge supporter of the Peace Trail, you can top off your fuel as well. From the Wayside there's a real time choice to make. There's a lot to see on the north side of the lake, mines and the most popular is Maggie's Wash. However, the Peace Trail goes north just before Maggie's, taking you on the "mountain trek". Many choose to make the turn to Wikieup. If not, and you stay on the mountain trial, you won't arrive in Kingman until well into the evening, late night. My personal choice and the choice given to groups I've lead, they've all preferred to stay in the desert, so we take our time around Lake Alamo, lunch in Maggie's and come out on Lake Alamo Rd., north on the improved road to the Gas Line trail just before Yucca into Kingman, without fail, we've always arrived in Kingman between 4:30 and 5:00. It purely comes down to a matter of choice.
Keep in mind, it's not the miles, it's the trail. Various sections of the Peace Trail presents equally variations in terrain or simply types of trails. My best two examples are between Yuma and Quartzsite, shorter miles, but trails from slow to moderate spends until you enter into Cibola or out of Cibola. Regardless if you do the Good Bad Ugly or not. This is one of the most time sensitive areas, there's a lot to see, time just slips away, even with earlier starts.
The second example is Kingman to Bullhead, even with taking my time, I can be in Bullhead in 5 hours, six if I stretch it out from the Panty Tree on the trail over to Silver Springs Rd. So, often I add in Chloride, great place to vista, Tuesdays\'s Restaurant is a must, perfect stop for breakfast, then a must see, Andy's Devin's rock paintings.
One last note, the trek through the Lake Havasu washes to or from Planet Ranch. This trek is a fairly long one, especially with stops at Woody's Cabin and the famous Founder's Cabin. I always shoot for around noon to leave Founder's Cabin, a little latter if heading into Lake Havasu. Please keep in mind, if you are on an weekend coming into or leaving Lake Havasu, the washes get a tremendous about of activity from the locals, please be cautious and safe.
Most important, rarely would any group size be able to see and do everything that is available to see and do on the AZPT in just one trip. Many return to do various sections again, explore side trails and other various points of interest. Additionally, the more adventurous types camp on the Peace Trail, extend the days, etc., this in itself opens up a lot of opportunities on the Peace Trail.
With regards to "when" to do the trail, every month is a good month. Less activity in October and late March into April. I personally believe the prime months are from November thru March. January poses some issues with the Best In the Desert off road races. This effects Butler Valley, to and from Planet Ranch. The BLM will be posting a map soon on the closer dates. However, for three weeks of the month the area is swamped with people. There's work arounds, but options won't be available to pursue until the map is published. About three years ago I used the Swansea turn off of Planet Ranch Rd., hooked up with the upper part of the Powerline Rd and picked up the Peace Trail, did a big "U" with some cow paths added in.
Finally, everyday on the Peace Trail is time sensitive, the downside of it so to speak - well, unless you are camping out or willing to running after dark. Our dusk to dawn narrows as we move towards winter. I recommend starting early, so to manage 9 hours of light. With my groups I average 2 or more hours of various stops. For those new to the trail, the stops will lengthen due to following your GPS. However, the one most crucial part of this is you don't know what lies ahead as the time element is always present. It is natural to want to stop and see as much as possible, but ahead on the trail is the constant time differential - how long will it take, it's not the miles - it's the trail.
Foremost best advise in planning your Peace Trail Adventure.
First, select a date. Make your motel reservations way in advance.
Download the latest Peace Trail GPS/KMZ files. This download is large, takes a while to load. May be an issue on a notebook using Wifi. Start with it on you home laptop, high speed. I use Pro Google Earth, the KMZ files. Study the trail at home, spend hours on it. Whether you use your onboard navigation, smart phones or tablets, link it in your mind. Gaia, onX is a big help. Avenza is outdated, but it doesn't get any simpler to follow. The updates can be viewed on Google Earth and followed on board with Gaia or your download to your onboard navigation if you have it.
Plan well in advance and don't hesitate to ask for help in your planning!
Happy Trails & Have A Whole Lot of Fun on Your Greatest Adventure Off Road!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We stayed at the Roadway Inn in Kingman because it was on the trail and just a few blocks to the turn onto Hualapai Mountain Rd and also the Dambar & Steakhouse. They have a large concrete area behind the motel and the restaurant next to them. A lot of large trucks were parking there. But plenty of extra room. Maybe give them a call and ask if it’s ok. Tell them how many rooms you will book for those days on each end of the trip if you can park there for the week. We saw truck/trailers parked everywhere along the trail and wide spots along roadways. Didn’t seem to be an issue. We rented a house in Lake Havasu for 2 months so we had parking there.

View attachment 317625
Great idea, thanks…
How about this @Pilgrim ???
Roadway Inn or Best Western???

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!