Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I am giving serious thought to attending. My issue isn't so much time as timing. Sporting Clays is what really drives my wheel so I would have to plan around tournaments. Then again, I have had to put all shooting from doves to elk on hold for this past six months. If that happens again, a little back country riding will be perfect.

Thanks Killer223, your lists looks good but I have to have coffee as I am a coffee-aholic. I'll bring the 10 cup pot and stove.

Is there a "recommended" list of mods and a "gotta have" list for your Honda (or whatever for the heathens ;^) ?

Thanks in advance,

s/f Steve
I would bring at least one wheel bearing. Something to repair a flat. Spare tire, tools to change the tire and bearing if necessary. Set of tie rods. The trail goes for a long way where there is nothing. I would haul 5 gallons of gas w me. If you are going to do the entire trail you we refuel w it while you are on the trail. I would layer my clothing it was cold in kingmam and warmed up as we came down to lower elevations.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There is a peace trail group on Facebook that has a lot of information and they sale a book with tons of detail also.
Thank you. I don’t do Facebook but a couple others that are doing this ride do and they’ve been gleaning information on it…..
Much appreciated….😊👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m going to be in Kingman area towards the end of March and could check out some things if needed
Awesome. Pilgrim will be scoping things out the end of February, we may need a follow up, and if so we’ll hit you up. Thanks for the offer….😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would bring at least one wheel bearing. Something to repair a flat. Spare tire, tools to change the tire and bearing if necessary. Set of tie rods. The trail goes for a long way where there is nothing. I would haul 5 gallons of gas w me. If you are going to do the entire trail you we refuel w it while you are on the trail. I would layer my clothing it was cold in kingmam and warmed up as we came down to lower elevations.
Thanks for the info.
Always nice to hear from a trail veteran…..😊👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I almost feel like we need to have sub threads for some of the discussions that need to happen.

Things like:
  1. How to plate your Honda or if it needs to be street legal
  2. What the format will be as far as camping or staying in Motels and when each will be utilized
  3. What we will use for communication during the trip
  4. What minimum things everyone should be thinking about or brining on the trip.
  5. How many miles we plan on each day
  6. GPS/NAV info for each buggy
  7. Lots of other topics...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I almost feel like we need to have sub threads for some of the discussions that need to happen.

Things like:
  2. What the format will be as far as camping or staying in Motels and when each will be utilized
  4. What minimum things everyone should be thinking about or brining on the trip.
So as not to clutter the forum with numerous threads, or to create confusion amongst the participants as such numerous threads would get far separated from each other with the many other threads in the sub forum which this one falls, and finally due to the inability to get a significant number of the participants in the ride from even participating in this existing thread, I’m not sure that would avail us much…🤔

Unfortunately too many are content to arrive on race day and hash those things all out on the ground at the time….😂

All that said, if such sub threads could be achieved within the confines of this primary thread, meaning in the general discussion forum you still had to click on this thread to get to such subforums, that would be cool. But that would likely present a lot of work for Richard, who is already stretched thin managing his growing cite here….?

In the mean time we can certainly discuss the subjects you’ve raised right here in this main thread now, and indeed, some of those topics have been hit upon in the existing 14 pages…

For example, street legal status, and the various options has been covered at length.

The camping/motel schedule seems difficult to do like this, and is so much more easily accomplished with participants in the same room, the atlas and maps spread, and discussions ensuing. Obviously that is not possible broadly, but I will be meeting this weekend with about half of those attending, to do just that, and reporting here, what we accomplished the following week…

Radios have been discussed here already, most are carrying hand held Boefangs or similar. Personally I have the TYT 8600 radio hard installed in my Talon….

Daily mileage follows camping/motel schedule…
which is one of the things we will be discussing this weekend.

We have amongst our group two good mechanics which will have the necessary tools to accomplish most any repairs. To minimize weight, we don’t need each SXS carrying a chain saw, 50 lbs of tools, and a set of tie rods. Another subject that will be discussed this weekend.

We already know that there will be several different navigation systems deployed which will be a good thing in the event that one is not as accurate in a particular area as another…

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Things like:
Some people work on computers all day and are adverse to getting on them in the evening or just don’t like social media and so this has to be accounted for…👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I will try to go back and pull information out that I think is important from this thread. Maybe get a quick synopsis post to bring everyone up to speed. Similar to what you just did but bullet it out with headings so people can just look at the sections they have questions about. For instance: I know you, Keebler and Pilgrim are already street legal and don't need to know specifics about that, but others like myself need to know that. Same with communication: I have some GMRS radios but maybe I will just upgrade to something like The Com, PCI or Rugged Radios... Like I said, I have lots of stuff to get organized, purchased and installed on my Pioneer prior to going.

My wife is not one to venture into any endeavor without knowing what the plan is... maybe that is from spending too much time dealing with Tax law or from watching me organize every part of our life... Even if she knows that I have a plan, she will be concerned if the collective has not met general consensus.

Reactions: Prntckt
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Some people work on computers all day and are adverse to getting on them in the evening or just don’t like social media and so this has to be accounted for…👍
I understand... I was in the IT world for 35 years and the last thing I wanted to do during the evening was sit down and work in front of a screen. And this is the closest thing to social media that I have... no twitter, facebook, myspace, tiktok, instagram, snapchat or Tinder...

When you say that a lot of things will be discussed this weekend, is there anything formally planned? We are heading to KC to visit our daughter. We haven't been down to see her in a long time, as she is super busy. She is a Bio-chemical engineer and been fairly buys with some project she has been working on in the lab. It's kept her from being around people for quite a while.

Rob

Reactions: Prntckt
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I understand... I was in the IT world for 35 years and the last thing I wanted to do during the evening was sit down and work in front of a screen. And this is the closest thing to social media that I have... no twitter, facebook, myspace, tiktok, instagram, snapchat or Tinder...

When you say that a lot of things will be discussed this weekend, is there anything formally planned? We are heading to KC to visit our daughter. We haven't been down to see her in a long time, as she is super busy. She is a Bio-chemical engineer and been fairly buys with some project she has been working on in the lab. It's kept her from being around people for quite a while.

Rob
I’m going to be with what will amount to half of those that will be doing this ride this (super bowl) weekend, and while there we’re going to discuss all the things you raised and likely more. I’ll report on that here the week following…👍

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My wife is not one to venture into any endeavor without knowing what the plan is... maybe that is from spending too much time dealing with Tax law or from watching me organize every part of our life... Even if she knows that I have a plan, she will be concerned if the collective has not met general consensus.
Lol, There’s also the issue that many people consider planning, organization and rigid itinerary spoils the adventure. And I’m sorry, I can’t do anything about that. I think you see that I make every attempt here to encourage input, discussion and participation.

The topic broke up a cross country trek several years ago…

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I will try to go back and pull information out that I think is important from this thread. Maybe get a quick synopsis post to bring everyone up to speed. Similar to what you just did but bullet it out with headings so people can just look at the sections they have questions about. For instance: I know you, Keebler and Pilgrim are already street legal and don't need to know specifics about that, but others like myself need to know that. Same with communication: I have some GMRS radios but maybe I will just upgrade to something like The Com, PCI or Rugged Radios... Like I said, I have lots of stuff to get organized, purchased and installed on my Pioneer prior to going.

I use another approach with my wife, the less information the better! She doesn't need to know 10 days instead of the 8 I told her, camping instead of 4 star hotels, beans instead of steaks, potty in the open range, etc ... you know, the minor trivial details.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lol, There’s also the issue that many people consider planning, organization and rigid itinerary spoils the adventure. And I’m sorry, I can’t do anything about that. I think you see that I make every attempt here to encourage input, discussion and participation.

The topic broke up a cross country trek several years ago…
We only had a group of 3 machines, operated by people with years of trail experiences but even that can present challenges. On this 6-8 day trail ride you will have many choices of things to see, when and where to stop, eat and sleep or even what speed to travel. It is hard on a multi person, multi day ride no matter what. We have completed many rides all over the country with 10 to 14 or more friends over the last 20 years or so and have learned a lot of things. One is that the bigger the group the more the challenges are. Usually by the third day or earlier somebody will get frustrated, tired or feel like they missed out on something. Nobody wants to eat all the dust all day either. We planned our stops as the #1 priority because we want a hot shower and soft bed every night. Everything else falls into its place after that’s decided. Ride like you want to, go where you want, stop, rest and eat where you want but be at the motel at the end of the day. That was our plan and it worked for us. When we weren’t riding together we weren’t too far apart and always met up and stopped during the day. Together on the ride but not totally tied at the hip. Your experiences may vary but have a good time. We did.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I use another approach with my wife, the less information the better! She doesn't need to know 10 days instead of the 8 I told her, camping instead of 4 star hotels, beans instead of steaks, potty in the open range, etc ... you know, the minor trivial details.
That’s hilarious 😆

Reactions: crewcabrob
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We only had a group of 3 machines, operated by people with years of trail experiences but even that can present challenges. On this 6-8 day trail ride you will have many choices of things to see, when and where to stop, eat and sleep or even what speed to travel. It is hard on a multi person, multi day ride no matter what. We have completed many rides all over the country with 10 to 14 or more friends over the last 20 years or so and have learned a lot of things. One is that the bigger the group the more the challenges are. Usually by the third day or earlier somebody will get frustrated, tired or feel like they missed out on something. Nobody wants to eat all the dust all day either. We planned our stops as the #1 priority because we want a hot shower and soft bed every night. Everything else falls into its place after that’s decided. Ride like you want to, go where you want, stop, rest and eat where you want but be at the motel at the end of the day. That was our plan and it worked for us. When we weren’t riding together we weren’t too far apart and always met up and stopped during the day. Together on the ride but not totally tied at the hip. Your experiences may vary but have a good time. We did.
Thank you for the input Randy…
I’ve been on rides with two machines and rides with 60 machines. I totally agree that too big of a group presents challenges that can spoil the party…

I'm real comfortable with 10 machines or so….
We’re a bunch of campers, in our opinions, it’s not a good cross country trek without the camping experience. Circling the wagons at the end of the day, the comradery around the fire, and the night time outdoors is amazing. But a hotel every couple of nights or so is good to wash off the dust and stretch out a bit…

We can always hope that there is a bit of rain before the ride to help hold down dust, but yeah, usually, we end up riding with quite a bit of space between each machine because of dust…😂

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion and experience, it’s very much appreciated….😊

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I got my APT Atlas on Friday before we left for KC. Didn't have much time to dig into it yet, but looks pretty comprehensive and did a good job of laying out a sample itinerary. A couple of 100+ miles seems a bit crazy, but they gave great advice on how many hours moving and how many sightseeing.

My wife could see that this was exciting for me, so things are looking good at this point. I still have a lot of work to do to get ready, but I have some time.

What came out of the discussion this weekend? Anything good?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally found the RSVP and have signed on. Just so you know, I normally ride with a group of 8-15 here in AZ. If it’s dusty and we’re on a graded county road, we’ll be stretched out around 5 miles in flatter areas. If we’re in the hills it might only be 2 miles. We use GMRS radios to communicate turn info for those who are listening and no one makes a turn or route change until they see the vehicle in back of them. If we are lucky enough to get 50+ riders, they will need to be broken up into smaller groups with at least the leader in each group having decent map following skills.

Reactions: crewcabrob
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Road Warriors,

The dates are a conflict for me. I can't wait to here how it goes.

Thanks for thinking of me.

s/f Steve

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement