Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmmm, first I heard of that. Can you possibly research that there and confirm this?? 😎
I’m going to try and insert what I read about.
Hmmmm, first I heard of that. Can you possibly research that there and confirm this?? 😎

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Crazy rules there for the trust land. You can keep driving through it but you can't even stop to clean your windshield with out being in violation of the rules.

Reactions: Biteme
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crazy rules there for the trust land. You can keep driving through it but you can't even stop to clean your windshield with out being in violation of the rules.
The game and fish personnel would likely be the agency trying to enforce this. Went on a ride yesterday with a group on mostly state trust land. Saw lots of hunters out with sxs’s, jeeps and a few pickups, but no enforcement personnel. If the enforcement agency’s, however know about a large group of riders spending 8 days cruising through the desert they may take a more aggressive posture on checking permits.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I don't mind paying fees to use land. Every park we seem to go to requires some type of sticker... just the cost of doing business here in the USA...

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know an instance where there's state trust land with a quarter mile strip of private land running through it.
Unfortunately the only access road runs through this private land. The land owners have locked gates and will not give access to cross with any motorized vehicle.I imagine it's this way in many parts of the country but this is relatively new to us in Southern Az.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know an instance where there's state trust land with a quarter mile strip of private land running through it.
Unfortunately the only access road runs through this private land. The land owners have locked gates and will not give access to cross with any motorized vehicle.I imagine it's this way in many parts of the country but this is relatively new to us in Southern Az.
Someone or a group probably misbehaved while on his land and screwed it up for everyone.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Someone or a group probably misbehaved while on his land and screwed it up for everyone.
Yep. So do you know if the AZPT passes through state trust land? I’ll check and see if the AZPT atlas I bought mentions that…..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Copilot uses an XL and is very happy with it. I always use a hammock (bear taco) when I can so I built a tripod and the other end to the SxS so I don't need trees...best sleep you can have short of a water bed.
I like it I think, not sure if the back support I need would be there, but my sidekick just can’t be talked into it in known bear country….🤔

I’m set up with this now…

B9F38E4C 02E8 4A67 B1FE 40AB6D36E0A4

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
has anyone downloaded the most recent gpx for this trail? it has all the road closures and detours form the original. The FB group has teh most recent and accurate one, as they are having trouble uploading it to the website.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I like it I think, not sure if the back support I need would be there, but my sidekick just can’t be talked into it in known bear country….🤔

I’m set up with this now…

View attachment 304484
That's a nice rig you have now...looks a lot more stout than the one that fell apart.

Been using hammocks for 20 years or so and only had one experience with a bear...a young black maybe 200 lbs. I yelled at him real loud from inside the hammock and it scared the poo out of him and he was gone in a heart beat. I keep my 10mm Glock with solids loaded with me anyway but never need to even fire a warning shot. That happened on the MT side of MacGruder trip at the last camp site before the hard road so almost civilization. Moose scare me more than bears.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's a nice rig you have now...looks a lot more stout than the one that fell apart.

Been using hammocks for 20 years or so and only had one experience with a bear...a young black maybe 200 lbs. I yelled at him real loud from inside the hammock and it scared the poo out of him and he was gone in a heart beat. I keep my 10mm Glock with solids loaded with me anyway but never need to even fire a warning shot. That happened on the MT side of MacGruder trip at the last camp site before the hard road so almost civilization. Moose scare me more than bears.
Lol, yeah. I do backpacking by myself and have had many harmless encounters with black bears. They are scared of people. I tell mama that (with the exception of known grizzly country) everything in the woods is scared of us… it doesn’t matter…..or help. And I want her with me on the rides, so the tiny trailer is an easy trade off….👍

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lol, yeah. I do backpacking by myself and have had many harmless encounters with black bears. They are scared of people. I tell mama that (with the exception of known grizzly country) everything in the woods is scared of us… it doesn’t matter…..or help. And I want her with me on the rides, so the tiny trailer is an easy trade off….👍
Anything that can eat or stomp me gets respect and I'm always armed. I tried to carry a rifle over my shoulder while fly fishing in Alaska...didn't work. I've maced folks using drugs or are really pissed off...didn't work so I have no confidence in "bear spray". I think "bear bells" work and making noise, singing, radio playing or whatever makes noise seems to work since when I do that you usually only see bear butts. None of that seems to work on a salmon stream with hungry browns...that's where respect plays big and it's their stream...not yours.

One time I was loading moose meat onto a Cessna 207 and a female brown and a cub came over to investigate. The hunters I was hauling both had .338 Winchesters following the bears so I felt brave using one of those canned air horns we had in the plane...worked great...loud noises seem to work best when contact can't be avoided. I'm no bear expert but have found noise works.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anything that can eat or stomp me gets respect and I'm always armed. I tried to carry a rifle over my shoulder while fly fishing in Alaska...didn't work.
Lol, yep, that would be tough. Most black bears I’ve seen down here wouldn’t be much bigger than say a mastiff if you hosed them down. A pistol was all I could carry backpacking, already having 45-50 pounds on my back. But grizzly country……😳

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
One time I was loading moose meat onto a Cessna 207 and a female brown and a cub came over to investigate. The hunters I was hauling both had .338 Winchesters following the bears so I felt brave using one of those canned air horns we had in the plane...worked great...loud noises seem to work best when contact can't be avoided. I'm no bear expert but have found noise works.
Yep, backpacker safety amongst other things is to carry a whistle around your neck, not primarily for the purpose of scaring bears away, but I can tell you that a good one, like a cop carries, laid on hard, will send a black bear running.

As a matter of fact, several weeks ago I had an encounter with a black bear at my NM property. I stepped out the back door and a black was standing at my chop saw, about 25’ from me and I pulled my phone and took these pics. He began by turning and rather slowly walking away from me occasionally glancing back over his shoulder presumably to be sure of what I was going to do. As soon as I started to briskly walk towards him he broke in a run, away from me….
F4CCFCC7 FAE1 416C 8B89 AB4B76DB150A
2F5014E8 C000 42C0 A9A1 861F679710C6
59517D4B 610B 4798 B0C7 46008B0AF284

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyway, I do not believe bears will be an issue on the AZPT….

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!