Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep, backpacker safety amongst other things is to carry a whistle around your neck, not primarily for the purpose of scaring bears away, but I can tell you that a good one, like a cop carries, laid on hard, will send a black bear running.

As a matter of fact, several weeks ago I had an encounter with a black bear at my NM property. I stepped out the back door and a black was standing at my chop saw, about 25’ from me and I pulled my phone and took these pics. He began by turning and rather slowly walking away from me occasionally glancing back over his shoulder presumably to be sure of what I was going to do. As soon as I started to briskly walk towards him he broke in a run, away from me….View attachment 304655View attachment 304656View attachment 304657
Thought you were going to say he was trained to cut trim for you. Nice bear butt!

Bears on the Rim but not so much in the lower desert...BUT there are lots of rattlesnake.

Reactions: Biteme
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thought you were going to say he was trained to cut trim for you. Nice bear butt!

Bears on the Rim but not so much in the lower desert...BUT there are lots of rattlesnake.
Wish he would have helped…🤔
To the rest, maybe…..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
has anyone downloaded the most recent gpx for this trail? it has all the road closures and detours form the original. The FB group has teh most recent and accurate one, as they are having trouble uploading it to the website.
Which one? I want to down load it….

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had dinner with @Montecresto and Cindy Saturday night…… also met @SILVER_ALERT and his bride……
anyway…. Long story short…. i think this ride was a secret that everyone was trying to keep from me….. no longer…. Looks doable and like a good trip….
also looks like it might be possible in winter months……
I am a absolutely solid ”maybe “ at this point in time……

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I had dinner with @Montecresto and Cindy Saturday night…… also met @SILVER_ALERT and his bride……
anyway…. Long story short…. i think this ride was a secret that everyone was trying to keep from me….. no longer…. Looks doable and like a good trip….
Glad to see you are a solid maybe. It was fun to ride with you on the Rimrocker and I am looking forward to the Peace Trail. Since I am now retired I am in for whenever it happens.

Reactions: Biteme and Pilgrim
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Groups do this trail all year long. yes the summer it get hot. but still doable. there is a group doing it x-mass weekend into the fallowing week. the mountains outside Kingman got a few inches of snow this last storm, but still doable. dress warm and sleep warm.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keeping in mind that several people have voiced their concern over the conflict with hunting seasons in November, I am still onboard for last half of October. I’ve been through Kingman a few days before Christmas many times and most were quite unpleasant with the wind and cold. The higher elevations in the mountains would not be fun.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Secret, I thought we talked about this around the camp fire at the Ballpark campground…..🤔

Glad you’re in…..😎👍

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This thread, we’ll get Richard to put up an RSVP soon…

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
This thread, we’ll get Richard to put up an RSVP soon…
Take this for what it's worth or not...just spoke with a friend in Yuma who says there is a serious up tick in crime from the border breakers in CA and AZ and toward Las Vegas, NV not NM. Also heard several days ago that the mayor of Yuma declared an emergency as a result of the same issue.

Reactions: Biteme and Ohio4x4
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Take this for what it's worth or not...just spoke with a friend in Yuma who says there is a serious up tick in crime from the border breakers in CA and AZ and toward Las Vegas, NV not NM. Also heard several days ago that the mayor of Yuma declared an emergency as a result of the same issue.
Please ask you friend if it would be safe to ride the upper loop, crossing along trails that parallel I-10 from Salome to Quartzsite, shortcutting the lower loop to Yuma. Maybe spend a couple days at Quartzite for some out and back rides down the western side of the loop to Cibola and back and checkout local trails to local mines.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Will do. I think from what I've heard on the news there is a constant flow of illegals from the border North. I have another friend who lives in Scottsdale and when I talked to him just before Christmas he was glad he had a good supply of ammo. Nothing good will come of this border breaching.

Reactions: Biteme and Ohio4x4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks lr, Everybody’s packing, no worries…😂

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Please ask you friend if it would be safe to ride the upper loop, crossing along trails that parallel I-10 from Salome to Quartzsite, shortcutting the lower loop to Yuma. Maybe spend a couple days at Quartzite for some out and back rides down the western side of the loop to Cibola and back and checkout local trails to local mines.
Biggest concern will be the strippers at the stripper pole where you’ll see all the bra’s on the tree….🤔 You can refer to the regularly updated arizonapeacetrail.org to see that this most used loop trail in America isn’t experiencing problems, but you can also look at the over a dozen various UTV forums where people are regularly discussing trips taken and planned trips. Not seeing a big problem with this….

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Biggest concern will be the strippers at the stripper pole where you’ll see all the bra’s on the tree….🤔 You can refer to the regularly updated arizonapeacetrail.org to see that this most used loop trail in America isn’t experiencing problems, but you can also look at the over a dozen various UTV forums where people are regularly discussing trips taken and planned trips. Not seeing a big problem with this….
Sounds good, I was just thinking some was better than none. but all is definitely best!

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Buckeye AZ, 2 hours away from Yuma. I havent heard anything on any uptick in crime near there or near Gila Bend, a town near the border, at least here. Gila Bend is about 30 minutes away from Buckeye. My neighbor across the street is a Border Patrol agent who works out of Ajo, AZ. He says all they see there are border crossers looking for a better quality of life. They do catch some with drugs but thats because they are forced to (mules), but thats about it. I believe anything north of the I-8 is safe imo. You guys will be ok.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I live in Buckeye AZ, 2 hours away from Yuma. I havent heard anything on any uptick in crime near there or near Gila Bend, a town near the border, at least here. Gila Bend is about 30 minutes away from Buckeye. My neighbor across the street is a Border Patrol agent who works out of Ajo, AZ. He says all they see there are border crossers looking for a better quality of life. They do catch some with drugs but thats because they are forced to (mules), but thats about it. I believe anything north of the I-8 is safe imo. You guys will be ok.
Thanks W, appreciate it….👍

Reactions: Biteme and Worse1
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!