P1000 Finally tied up some loose ends. LONG!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It seems I've been working on my winch install for a year. Between Christmas, work and life in general I haven't been able to finish anything.

I bought my Pioneer in mid October and had my dealer install a hard roof. After taking the Queen for a ride she mandated a windshield, so I ordered and installed a Honda two piece hard coat.

With deer season fast approaching I needed a gun rack. Amazon to the rescue. I used factory roll bar clamps like hold the roof on and fabed up the brackets out of 1" tube. No time to paint it ( good thing) as I finished it up the day before season opened.

During deer season I discovered that with the windshield that dusting was horrible so a hard rear panel was going to be a must have. My local dealer had one but the way I work I wasn't going to be able to pick it up for over a week. I ordered a winch from Amazon that week, free two day shipping! Great I can be figuring out how I'm going to build my mounting bracket while I'm off at night and waiting to go pick up my rear panel. Wrong on the two day shipping, that turned in a week. I guess they mean two days after they decide to ship. LOL

The first day I'm off I was going to pick my hard panel but decided to call before I drove down there. So I call and talk to my parts guy, yep it's here. Okay lay your hands on it before I drive down. After a few minutes on hold he comes back, they don't have it. They had installed it on a new unit a month before and it wasn't taken out of inventory. This was Friday so they order me one, should be there Tuesday. Great except it'll be Friday before I can be off work to pick it up.

No problem I can finish my winch mount and fab a bumper to protect the winch. I finally get the mount and bumper fitted, welded up, painted, mounted to the 1000 with the winch on. Finished the wiring and mounting the solenoid. Ahhh, I forgot to order the Positap! So Amazon to the rescue again, I have no illusions of having them in two days this time and I was right.

Now the hard panel is here but I can't put it on with the headache rack on as the bed won't tilt and I don't want to take the headache rack off until we take our deer stands down. Waiting until my brother and I are both off so we can do it together takes a few days. With the stands down I took off the rack and started installing the rear panel.

Remember the gun rack mount I mentioned earlier? The clamps on the rear of the mount on the roll bar were within 1/2" of being in perfect alignment for the rear hard panel! So the gun rack comes out and the rear panel installs without a hitch. Yesterday my positaps come in and I cut the gun rack down and refitted the tabs after moving the clamps and welded it back up. Today I installed it to make sure I didn't tweak it when welding. Everything fit fine so I cleaned it up and started painting it. I also finished the wiring by installing the positap and my winch works great.

While typing this novel I also put on a big pot of chili. Sitting here at the computer one of my eyes started itching so I rubbed it. Didn't take but a second to remember I didn't wash my hands after cutting up the jalapenos! After a good scrub with hot soapy water I'm finally no longer crying.

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to give you guys a glimpse of how my days go. LOL.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 1647
IMG 1641
IMG 1645

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am interested in seeing a pic of your gun rack if you have one. I am looking to do something similar.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Before I had to redo it. To make it work with the rear panel I had to cut the tabs off the rear (right side in the photo) and move them in. Also the tabs are now welded to the bottom of the tube like the front.
IMG 1572

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!