P1000 Modifying a SATV 6" Lift - Long Travel

Stixato

Stixato

Dec 25, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Florida and primarily ride in mud. I have a 6" SATV big lift kit with the longer arched A=Arms, Rhino 2.0 longer axles, HD Ball joints, the bracket lift it comes with, etc... I have also added dual idler 4" billet portals & frame stiffener and run 35" outlaw 3 tires on my 2016 1000-5 EPS.
I was hoping someone knows of a way to be able to remove the brackets for the shock mounts on the SATV 6" lift and keep the long arms/axles. I believe if I remove the brackets and try to connect the shocks to the stock mounts up top on the bike they will #1 be too short and #2 possibly hit the cross support on the arms in the rear. is there a way to circumvent this and turn the big lift kit into a long travel kit by modifying either the location of the top shock mount or modifying the arms? Also, what shocks would you recommend trying if there is a way to make it work and the stock shocks won't cut it... Every since I added the brackets with the 6" lift kit, it rides like a horse drawn carriage, I was thinking that removing them would really help the ride.

We went on a trip to the hatfield mccoy trails last week and I threw on my 27" tires to avoid destroying my 35" Outlaw 3 tires and lower the center of gravity but the gearing was so far off for the smaller tires. I'd like to be able to lose the brackets and increase the tire size to improve the ride and ratio with the portals. The width was awesome and helped considerably. Right now with all my mods, I think my width is about 81" If I could keep that and lower the lift, I'd be stoked. I'd like to keep the portals for the gear reduction and ability to run bigger tires... like a 35" XCR 350 when we do those types of trips.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

20230801 131032

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I live in Florida and primarily ride in mud. I have a 6" SATV big lift kit with the longer arched A=Arms, Rhino 2.0 longer axles, HD Ball joints, the bracket lift it comes with, etc... I have also added dual idler 4" billet portals & frame stiffener and run 35" outlaw 3 tires on my 2016 1000-5 EPS.
I was hoping someone knows of a way to be able to remove the brackets for the shock mounts on the SATV 6" lift and keep the long arms/axles. I believe if I remove the brackets and try to connect the shocks to the stock mounts up top on the bike they will #1 be too short and #2 possibly hit the cross support on the arms in the rear. is there a way to circumvent this and turn the big lift kit into a long travel kit by modifying either the location of the top shock mount or modifying the arms? Also, what shocks would you recommend trying if there is a way to make it work and the stock shocks won't cut it... Every since I added the brackets with the 6" lift kit, it rides like a horse drawn carriage, I was thinking that removing them would really help the ride.

We went on a trip to the hatfield mccoy trails last week and I threw on my 27" tires to avoid destroying my 35" Outlaw 3 tires and lower the center of gravity but the gearing was so far off for the smaller tires. I'd like to be able to lose the brackets and increase the tire size to improve the ride and ratio with the portals. The width was awesome and helped considerably. Right now with all my mods, I think my width is about 81" If I could keep that and lower the lift, I'd be stoked. I'd like to keep the portals for the gear reduction and ability to run bigger tires... like a 35" XCR 350 when we do those types of trips.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

View attachment 398679
You got any up close pics of the suspension set up?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
was hoping someone knows of a way to be able to remove the brackets for the shock mounts on the SATV 6" lift
Thats the problem with bracket lifts, your shock-geometry will be all Fuced and the ride gets old after a while. The proper way for your type of lift to fix some of your issues is a true long arm lift.
To move what you have back towards the stock location your gonna have to have custome shocks made for the length so $$$
Looks as if your running stock shocks and why with that set up? I assume money is an issue?
I would get fox, WE, Elkas or even Rough country pick your poison. Use the search up top to blow your mind on opinions about all the different shocks. Thats something you will have to decide on your own tho.

Stixato

Stixato

Dec 25, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats the problem with bracket lifts, your shock-geometry will be all Fuced and the ride gets old after a while. The proper way for your type of lift to fix some of your issues is a true long arm lift.
To move what you have back towards the stock location your gonna have to have custome shocks made for the length so $$$
Looks as if your running stock shocks and why with that set up? I assume money is an issue?
I would get fox, WE, Elkas or even Rough country pick your poison. Use the search up top to blow your mind on opinions about all the different shocks. Thats something you will have to decide on your own tho.
Never really had a reason to modify the shocks or care much for the ride. We slow crawl around through the mud down here in Florida. Articulation and riding for miles on end hasn't been a concern. Riding the trails up there and riding 70 plus miles in a day opened a can of worms for me. I'll grab some close up pictures of the suspension but as someone else just said with the bracket lift that came with the SATV 6" lift, they are straight up and down almost. You can sort of see it from the picture I posted above. If I can just order custom shocks to be able to remove the brackets in front and back and keep my existing arms and axles I'm all about it. My buddy bought 814 shocks and loves them. he has the same lift as me but running 40's and 6" portals vs. 4" portals. He still has the brackets installed though. My other friends have WE on their polaris and like them as well. Quite frankly, the ride can't be much worse on my buggy, so whoever makes the right shock and length I need, I'm all ears! Any ideas? I'm sure someone has done the mod before....

Here's the picture of my normal setup (my avatar pic)
20230419 193838

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you're going to end up moving the lower shock mount out to make a longer shock work but there's a good chance you can find a longer yxz or RZR shock that will fit. You'll probably need a stiffer spring a but just about any shock would be an improvement over stock.

For the front, I'd measure from the stock upper shock mount to the lower a-arm mount and see what it looks like at your current ride height. I'd guess its 21-22". This might not be a cheap adventure but I think you'll end up with a 300-325lb/in spring and a shock about 3" longer than stock

in the rear you're going to have some clearance issues. But a better pic would help

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!