P500 First Air Cleaner Service

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
I cleaned my air filter for the first time Sunday. Mind you I'm a teacher, not a mechanic, and after looking here on the forums, I wasn't sure what to clean it with, since not one gas station in my area sells kerosene! So, I ended up using hot water and dawn dishwashing and cleaned it as best as I could, changing the water a few times and making sure it was totally dry before oiling. Finally, I did use Uni spray-on foam filter oil, and that worked great.

What could be used to clean the filter besides kerosene? Thanks!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Gas. Kerosene. There are specific cleaners available as well.
I've had zero luck using dawn/soap and water, but I haven't used no toil or Honda oil either.

Reactions: Backwoods
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read here in past posts that gas is a no-no for foam air filters - is that true? Not they're that expensive to replace, but...
I used gas for decades on the dirt bikes, just don't soak the filter in it. I'd put 2" in a container, dip the filter repeatedly until it was clean and then use the air compressor to blow dry. I've since switched to kerosene (bought a 5 gallon container) and clean with Dawn original (blue), blow and paper towel dry and let sit overnight if I have the time. Then add enough oil that I can squeeze out the excess, assuring 100% coverage - I'd much rather it was over oiled than under oiled.

Depending on surface area, oiled foam is incredibly efficient, even when it looks like they're totally plugged. Many guys clean them way too soon.

Still working just fine at 1066 miles (first cleaning). The filter is bright red under the goop. :oops:
I KRxxBDV XL

Proof, stock filter behind the foam prefilter at 1137 miles - (Talons will total a stock filter at 200-300 miles)
I cC2r3Xx L

Last edited:
BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
I cleaned my air filter for the first time Sunday. Mind you I'm a teacher, not a mechanic, and after looking here on the forums, I wasn't sure what to clean it with, since not one gas station in my area sells kerosene! So, I ended up using hot water and dawn dishwashing and cleaned it as best as I could, changing the water a few times and making sure it was totally dry before oiling. Finally, I did use Uni spray-on foam filter oil, and that worked great.

What could be used to clean the filter besides kerosene? Thanks!
I go old school. Because I’m old. Dish soap. Don’t matter the brand. Usually dawn. Wash it out really good. Let it dry. Cheap-o light weight motor oil. Squeeze out the excess with paper towels.
Been doing it that way for ever.
Usually once between oil changes.
And always keep a spare filter since they are so cheap.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I read here in past posts that gas is a no-no for foam air filters - is that true? Not they're that expensive to replace, but...
Supposedly, but I have yet to see it. I dip it quickly and rinse it in Soapy water right away. And keep an eye on it. I usually replace them after a while anyway.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Supposedly, but I have yet to see it. I dip it quickly and rinse it in Soapy water right away. And keep an eye on it. I usually replace them after a while anyway.
You can buy foam air cleaner spray, I use Dawn dishwashing soap.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You can buy foam air cleaner spray, I use Dawn dishwashing soap.
I know. Gas is cheaper and seems to work better.
And works on all brands of oil, which is nice, since I've had "brand y" cleaner not work so well on "brand x" oil.
And Dawn may work on No Toil or something similar, but it won't do s*** for some of the really tacky oil brands. I know...I tried it (again) not to long ago. Maybe I'll start using No Toil just for that reason.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use purple degreaser and Dawn. work it in real good and let soak for a couple of hours then rinse. I have more than one filter so there's always a clean one ready.

Hondap5

Hondap5

Sep 26, 2020
Monroe nc
Ownership

1. 500
New oem filter is 10-15$ at the local Honda shop. Comes in a Honda bag pre oiled. Almost to convenient

Reactions: bms and CID
BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
I use purple degreaser and Dawn. work it in real good and let soak for a couple of hours then rinse. I have more than one filter so there's always a clean one ready.
I used that “awesome orange” or this concentrated degreaser from the dollar store my last filter cleanings. Along with the dish soap...🤷‍♂️ and it cuts oil real nice for like a pretreat I guess. And it’s really cheap. Surprisingly it’s only one dollar.
Go figure......

Reactions: bms and pappyo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!