P1000 First Elk Hunt for my 1000

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Met some friends from California in Wyoming last week for a cow elk hunt, needless to say the freezer is full. The 1000 performed flawlessly I couldn't be any happier with it. See attached pictures of our trip. Can't wait for next year! Was able to get to the elk easily and get back to camp using an ice fishing sled.
Chuck Honda Honda1 J DElk

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
How did the sled do over rocks and gravel? We're planning an elk hunt for 2018 but I'm telling the boys to find wheeled trailers as we have a river to cross.
Al

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How did the sled do over rocks and gravel? We're planning an elk hunt for 2018 but I'm telling the boys to find wheeled trailers as we have a river to cross.
Al
I added wood runners on the sled for rocks and dirt if we had more snow would have not needed them took a few times to get the sled and elk moving correctly. Had to tie elk's head up by running a rope up to the roll bar above the dump bed if not to would drag on the ground and mess thing up. The sled did get beat up a little but was an asset since we did not have to cut up and lift into Pioneer.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I added wood runners on the sled for rocks and dirt if we had more snow would have not needed them took a few times to get the sled and elk moving correctly. Had to tie elk's head up by running a rope up to the roll bar above the dump bed if not to would drag on the ground and mess thing up. The sled did get beat up a little but was an asset since we did not have to cut up and lift into Pioneer.
Awesome. We used snowmobile skimmers one year to pull a bison 25 kms to camp. That was snow all the way. Wood runners are a good idea!

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome. We used snowmobile skimmers one year to pull a bison 25 kms to camp. That was snow all the way. Wood runners are a good idea!
Make sure the runners are beveled on the front I'm gonna redo my runners with a plastic material I think the stuff is called UHMC or something like that they will last longer than wood. If you have lots of snow you'll have no issue.

Reactions: AlR
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In true "modern cowboy" style!

Reactions: nbomar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!