P1000 First real ride impressions

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
. So you are probably familiar with some of those photos I suspect! We ride that area(Cataldo,St.maries,Mc Crowski,Fernan Calispel Creek?) be nice to some more Hondas out there!!
. So you are probably familiar with some of those photos I suspect! We ride that area(Cataldo,St.maries,Mc Crowski,Fernan Calispel Creek?) be nice to some more Hondas out there!!
I thought I recognized them. My very good friend owns the campground at Cataldo. We do ride a lot of the same areas I too look forward to meeting up on the trails soon. We bought all of our sxs's from CDA Honda great prople to deal with.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought I recognized them. My very good friend owns the campground at Cataldo. We do ride a lot of the same areas I too look forward to meeting up on the trails soon. We bought all of our sxs's from CDA Honda great prople to deal with.
lost moose I presume? We spent our whole Christmas there! Planning on doing it again. Most of our camping is st. Maries on dirt but we do go there about 5 times a year. All our machines were from Allsport Honda. I also am autobody

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Some big mud tires might help keep wheels from breaking free. I know what you mean the throttle is a an entirely new feel to driving a sxs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Some big mud tires might help keep wheels from breaking free. I know what you mean the throttle is a an entirely new feel to driving a sxs.
tires would definitely help.
I've been thinking about 30s if this has clearance they'd be nice for many reasons it's got enough power especially because of low. This machine is so good in nearly every way. But I do like loading into the back. If I gain much more width she won't be sitting nice and snug in my pickup anymore though it'll be a trailer only rig.my wife normally drives my cummins with this in back and a couple quads on trailer while I'm in the cummins bus loaded with dirt bikes. I guess bigger yet trailer. Dammit :-( decisions decisions

Last edited:
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hold on I didn't say too powerful by any means! Throttle is a bit drive by wire touchy:) :)
Shoot me if this sounds retarded as I will not be driving one til Spring. Here it goes: When I was a logger I operated two differen machines. A Deere 548C and a 648D. I cant remember which one but one had a pedal setup that gave my heel a resting point for pedal control because as you know bouncing over trees and stumps would cause continuose mashes on the throttle which is exhausting being whipped forward and back all day. I eventually learned to adapt with body english etc. on the other. Just wondering if there is room for some type of block and if it would help at all to have a support for the heel as this is the picture in my head from reading about your experiences. Again,, just shoot me. :confused::)

I like your hauling setup but did not like seeing the snow already. Lol!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shoot me if this sounds retarded as I will not be driving one til Spring. Here it goes: When I was a logger I operated two differen machines. A Deere 548C and a 648D. I cant remember which one but one had a pedal setup that gave my heel a resting point for pedal control because as you know bouncing over trees and stumps would cause continuose mashes on the throttle which is exhausting being whipped forward and back all day. I eventually learned to adapt with body english etc. on the other. Just wondering if there is room for some type of block and if it would help at all to have a support for the heel as this is the picture in my head from reading about your experiences. Again,, just shoot me. :confused::)

I like your hauling setup but did not like seeing the snow already. Lol!
That probably would help a bit. It's something that a few of us noticed while in really rough terrain. Maybe it was muddy floor boots idk but it seemed substantial at times and annoyed me a bit not too much that I'm giving up this machine I ****ing love it. Like I said I didn't mean to make a long drawn out heated debate or to make me or anyone else that complained a bit seem incompetent. This really is a great sxs I tend to notice thing that many overlook and just get use to. A mapping switch would be incredible in my opinion. This is way less a problem then the shocks and I'm actually thinking after obsessing a bit over things I don't like(I just fix problems even if my own you get use to "adjusting" to your own liking when you ride bikes) and realized there is a big possibility that the good shocks will mellow this out. The 700 with shocks was so smooth that I think I may be comparing something that's not yet fair! I'll get those Foxes on this weekend and go for what I think is a catastrophically amazing difference
And Stauvo no the snow pisses me off. We do have sleds and our motorhome will be left at a local campground so we will still go yes sxs as well but that's just not our camping style. I hate paid luxury campgrounds with amenities so I'm kind of grumpy lately! The real season was over for us last weekend. Mid February-mid September I've called it :-(

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher, You and any other thats putting the miles on these are not fretting details. We are the real R&D for these things. Remember when the 07.5 6.7 liter Cummins first came out? It was euphoria for all Dodge guys until the DPF/regen, computer issues came to surface quickly. (just an axample) My 99 Yamaha 700 SX sled had the option to upgrade to Fox Shocks that year so it would be nice if they offered it as an option on the Pioneer too or be standard on a machine tagged as a deluxe model. When I order a deluxe pizza that means I want everything on it dammit! Lol!:):D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Funny you bring the 6.7 in. I was super excited but the motor was so much better then what sat around it. I started with 97 went to 05 and discovered I needed to go back. With that over with it does seem that Honda would be very well aware of something like the shocks maybe it's cost savings but I don't think so. It was brought up maybe safety well who knows. At any rate let's say those cost 200 for factory if they ran say Fox as an option I can't see being over 700 for them them in bulk. That's only 500 difference they could add it in as a 750 option make 250 and especially under financing I'm sure a huge group of people would pull the trigger especially because they're rebuildable. Not to mention if anything were to ever happen to the rig they would automatically be covered under original equipment. Idk seems logical. I would imagine next year we will see better legs under it

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure how Honda does it but sometimes there's a hard budget you have to meet. When putting a project together I may remove one big cost to be able keep 5 smaller costs that would help make the end user much more happy in the end. Same budget but you can't always have it all.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure how Honda does it but sometimes there's a hard budget you have to meet. When putting a project together I may remove one big cost to be able keep 5 smaller costs that would help make the end user much more happy in the end. Same budget but you can't always have it all.
Makes lots of sense

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So would you guys replace all the shocks or just the fronts?

I apologize if my avatar copies another. I'm looking for something more original. :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I apologize if my avatar copies another. I'm looking for something more original. :)
I'd do all but the backs are better then 700

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think there are two or three of us with similar avatars of the Honda Wing Logo.

I like the older ones like mine and yours.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You guys have screwed me up over here:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What are you saying all avatars look alike? LMAO:p
So what now you're making fun of a blind homeless guy that has no arms 1/2 a leg artificial intestines and a butt transplant from a camel

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wouldn't running a higher gear take the edge off being a little jumpy in a tight spot, another benifit of the manual?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wouldn't running a higher gear take the edge off being a little jumpy in a tight spot, another benifit of the manual?
It absolutely would but it only allows for so much

advertisement