P1000 First real ride impressions

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I was thinking of the original Honda Shock Not the 700.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking of the original Honda Shock Not the 700.

Yeah what I meant on the original 700 Honda shock.

I think the 1000 FRONTS are the same

The 1000 rear would compensate and sit at the same height and ride because of the auto adjusting.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shocks again. What would happen if you put a 1 1/2" spacer out of proper diameter pipe in the bottom of the spring and a 3/4 on the top. You should keep about the same height but make the spring stiffer do to the compression. Or do the shocks even come apart?
the fronts are different

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
The foxes do you have position dampening in them you just need to adjust the spring down to get it out of the top of the compression stroke It actually explains that on fox site.like I said If the rig is at factory height with the fox it's probably rougher at cruise. I learned this lesson. Crank the spring down (compression tighter)it moves the piston inside to a better spot (internal valving)which does ride better. Like I said doesn't make sense but it's the way they work. Factory settings on those are crap. Then you turn the knob(rebound basically)to line that up as well that took a little more dinking because it changes a little differently then rebound but got great settings. And second the fox shocks DO HAVE PROGRESSIVE REAR SHOCKS! Not sure what you're talking about but...at any rate we've used them from one person, loaded,over loaded, all the way up to pulling a trailer with two heavy older sleds on it and two passengers for a total payload of around 2800lbs and the progressive shocks did great. The height of the 700 with fox from the box is about 3/4 of an inch taller with the soft setup your almost 1 1/2in taller. So back to factory height even though it makes sense that you softened it you changed where the piston inside rests at and the dampening is weird and the spring fights it which causes a rough ride at lower speeds. I do know absolutely 100% the p1000 I now have them on is much much much better! Especially the front end but now both ends work very well together and will keep making small adjustments until it's perfect.
The Foxes have Velocity sensitive damping, not position sensitive. The damping does not change based on where they are in the stroke range. Cranking the preload to the point you're talking about does not make sense for improving ride comfort unless you're referring to big hits that use a lot of travel.

I was referring to the fronts when I said they aren't progressive, and the fronts have been the focus of my comments so far.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Not same part, same basic design. Meaning a removable spring.
They looks basically the same but bigger. Somebody should measure the diameter difference of the body. Bigger pistons are better.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just an update. I did pull back out the 700 shocks from the 1000. They had lowered the rig just a bit and performed really well however pulling a load with 5 adults in it was a bit soft in back. I had to use bushings to make them goin rather then drilling the holes out to fit the larger bolts. I always liked how these shocks raised the 700-4 so I expect the new fox for the 1000 will raise it as well. Like I said before the rear are lots better the the 700 was and I tried it with just fronts and that might be acceptable however I didn't run it really hard like that. I hate the way the front doesn't stay planted. We ran it again pretty hard this weekend with a local group of rzrs and was impressed (so were all of the group) it was sure nice having extra room nothing strapped to the roof or rear and we were pleasantly warm in the rig with just a roof and glass windshield(which came in broken however they gave me 250 off so I'll replace that) but we sat 3across with a blanket and regular clothing. Really impressed with this vehicle absolutely love it. Needs new legs I'll take the money for the now sold foxes and possibly back shocks and just wait I guess. Damn great rig!

Reactions: pct and Stauvo
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Map switch is a good Idea maybe abc mode for some people they might not be familiar with that type of a thing easy to do can't wait till I can hak into the ecu and start programing it myself this thing is going to really come alive, smooth out , pick up HP, on the fly drop HP, shift points rev limiter speed limiter low end timing advance etc wow can't wait

Reactions: pct and joeymt33