ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"These Factory Fox Podium 2.5's on the 1000 are awesome"
"Yea i wish it had factory power steering though"

" Wow the suspension is great and I love the powersteering"!
"Yea I just wish it had more power"

"Man thing thing has a great tranny high, low, turf, etc"
"Yea just wish it had tilt wheel and seat"

What are plug and play options according to your riding?
Shocks?
Power steering?
Engine?
Tranny?

Honda built an awesome machine in the 1000, based @ engine and tranny. Not happy with the shocks buy better ones,
Do you want all of this or some of this?? Its easier to buy a shock then it is to buy HP. Its easier to buy a shock then a 6sp DUAL CLUTCH TRANNSMISSION. Get my point?

Sit in a room with Honda R&D. What is the top of your list: Engine/trany/reliability. For some people there are things the 1000 may fall short of (Suspension) (size). For the market they are after they are hitting all the right boxes.

Shocks, power steering, all types of guards, rims, tires, etc. Are on the bottom of Hondas list. And it should be.

You can have my LED headlights/fancy rims, and colored match plastic.

Engine, transmission, and the chromed HONDA badged you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well said. That's why some mid these items are OEM accessories and some are aftermarket.

Reactions: pct
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"These Factory Fox Podium 2.5's on the 1000 are awesome"
"Yea i wish it had factory power steering though"

" Wow the suspension is great and I love the powersteering"!
"Yea I just wish it had more power"

"Man thing thing has a great tranny high, low, turf, etc"
"Yea just wish it had tilt wheel and seat"

What are plug and play options according to your riding?
Shocks?
Power steering?
Engine?
Tranny?

Honda built an awesome machine in the 1000, based @ engine and tranny. Not happy with the shocks buy better ones,
Do you want all of this or some of this?? Its easier to buy a shock then it is to buy HP. Its easier to buy a shock then a 6sp DUAL CLUTCH TRANNSMISSION. Get my point?

Sit in a room with Honda R&D. What is the top of your list: Engine/trany/reliability. For some people there are things the 1000 may fall short of (Suspension) (size). For the market they are after they are hitting all the right boxes.

Shocks, power steering, all types of guards, rims, tires, etc. Are on the bottom of Hondas list. And it should be.

You can have my LED headlights/fancy rims, and colored match plastic.

Engine, transmission, and the chromed HONDA badged you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands!!

Well said!!!
Some people would not be happy if you gave them a crisp $100 bill because it was the wrong shade of green.

Then there will always be something that doesn't quite do what YOU want it to.
BUT, you are one of MANY MANY MANY people a manufacturer is creating a single machine that will do a great multitude of things and do it well enough that a large number of people are willing to buy it.

Shocks are an EASY if expensive fix, order them and once they get there its MAYBE an hour to swap all 4 out.
HP takes a great deal more than an hour and the Supercar style DCT trans in a freaking SXS dang son! Honda did good by their fans!

Not that I like the choice of tires (or lug patterns) but that is an easy fix.
The power steering was getting added if it didn't come from honda anyway. Ill make my own skids and guards.

Why do you think I dropped the 700 like yesterdays news as soon as the 1000 was announced?
Because the 1000 was everything that I wanted from the 700, except black BUT black shows wear just by looking at it funny.
So that BAMF Silver Metallic is mine as soon as January rolls around.

The 700 showed me what I wanted/NEEDED and when I take delivery of the 1000 I am going to go @JACKAL on it before it ever even touches the dirt

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Then again this is an 18k vehicle that is made to complete with and be better then many others. It is a very well built vehicle. Honda signature rides this is the best of the best from what Honda has to offer I guess I can understand why a $8000 P500 and an 11,000 P700 don't come with good shocks but this is the 1000cc and the deluxe to boot. I am happy with the rig and I wasn't stupid I kept my shocks when The 700 went away for this possible reason. And I'm now the first one with fix shocks on the 1000 and guess what? It should have had them. You can't believe the difference omg! Stock vehicle is a spine killer mine feels more like a razor killer. Love them. My 700 with fox rode so much better then stock 1000 it mad you a bit upset but all is good now it rides on a cloud sorry for complaining so much it was an easy fix even the throttle is less jumpy.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then again this is an 18k vehicle that is made to complete with and be better then many others. It is a very well built vehicle. Honda signature rides this is the best of the best from what Honda has to offer I guess I can understand why a $8000 P500 and an 11,000 P700 don't come with good shocks but this is the 1000cc and the deluxe to boot. I am happy with the rig and I wasn't stupid I kept my shocks when The 700 went away for this possible reason. And I'm now the first one with fix shocks on the 1000 and guess what? It should have had them. You can't believe the difference omg! Stock vehicle is a spine killer mine feels more like a razor killer. Love them. My 700 with fox rode so much better then stock 1000 it mad you a bit upset but all is good now it rides on a cloud sorry for complaining so much it was an easy fix even the throttle is less jumpy.

If the wheel don't squeak it don't get fixed.

Or foxed

Reactions: CumminsPusher
wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Fox Shocks...Fox Shocks....Fox Shocks....My last sxs had fox shocks from the factory and it rode like sh..t. I know fox makes a good product but it won't matter if it's not "adjusted/tuned/built" for its intended use.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Huge difference over stock! Had the same ones on p700 and now on the p1000. If someone doesn't notice either they aren't riding hard enough or on pavement. Added 10mph in the rough on the 700 and all of that in the 1000. Our close friend couldn't ride in the 700 because of arthritis and serious back issues after good shocks(yes I tuned them as unlike stock they are fully adjustable) he drive it and has been with us on every ride since. He tried riding in the 1000 last weekend and wanted out within 20 minutes and went into the chiropractor Monday. He ride a quick one last night and really started to rave about this one. Ask anyone that has gotten either of the aftermarket shocks for the 700 they will not be getting rid of them anytime soon.
With that being said I'm going to close this one out too many haters that don't understand. Next I'll be getting people telling me how much better the Power Stroke 6.0 is then a 12v Cummins.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Huge difference over stock! Had the same ones on p700 and now on the p1000. If someone doesn't notice either they aren't riding hard enough or on pavement. Added 10mph in the rough on the 700 and all of that in the 1000. Our close friend couldn't ride in the 700 because of arthritis and serious back issues after good shocks(yes I tuned them as unlike stock they are fully adjustable) he drive it and has been with us on every ride since. He tried riding in the 1000 last weekend and wanted out within 20 minutes and went into the chiropractor Monday. He ride a quick one last night and really started to rave about this one. Ask anyone that has gotten either of the aftermarket shocks for the 700 they will not be getting rid of them anytime soon.
With that being said I'm going to close this one out too many haters that don't understand. Next I'll be getting people telling me how much better the Power Stroke 6.0 is then a 12v Cummins.
Man you must ride pretty aggressively. I put the Foxes on my 700-2 and though it was a lot firmer and rode worse over the little stuff like small rocks and tree roots, even adjusted to full soft and the height set to factory. They did keep the skidplate off the ground when I was really flying trying to jump the erosion ditches and stuff but just driving around slow at windrock with the group last year I thought they were pretty choppy.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
has[/QUOTE
Man you must ride pretty aggressively. I put the Foxes on my 700-2 and though it was a lot firmer and rode worse over the little stuff like small rocks and tree roots, even adjusted to full soft and the height set to factory. They did keep the skidplate off the ground when I was really flying trying to jump the erosion ditches and stuff but just driving around slow at windrock with the group last year I thought they were pretty choppy.
with fox you actually have to tighten the compression down quite a bit to get them a little out the top of there stroke. They have valving that keeps them from bottoming out either direction so they need to be out of that area. Stiffer is softer makes no sense I know. Mine were set five full turns and on 4 in back and five full turns and 3 in front over factory settings on the 700. Two more turns and 5 back and two more turns and 4 in front on 1000 seems pretty damn cozy. Takes them about 1-150 miles to really show there stuff since they are used they showed up right away in the 1000.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You adjusted the wrong way if it's in stock height Then they are in an even worse spot for softness then factory settings. Adjust them the the above numbers that I have in in the other reply (you should be 1 1/2 inch OVER stock) and you'll be saying a different story. Like stated earlier they do have to be adjusted but lots of people thing softer is softer(it's the internal valving that is causing this something that stock doesn't have) but that's not the case. If you have an iPhone to someone who came out of the '50s they would tell you it's jusk explain how to use it different story.

advertisement
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dangit! Can you guys tell me which shock models fit so I can get a closer look? Always wanted to put them on my 250R when I was 20 but too broke and a bit intimidated with adjustments. Now 48 and still broke but might like to adjust.

Reactions: pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dangit! Can you guys tell me which shock models fit so I can get a closer look? Always wanted to put them on my 250R when I was 20 but too broke and a bit intimidated with adjustments. Now 48 and still broke but might like to adjust.
For 1000 or 700?

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
You adjusted the wrong way if it's in stock height Then they are in an even worse spot for softness then factory settings. Adjust them the the above numbers that I have in in the other reply (you should be 1 1/2 inch OVER stock) and you'll be saying a different story. Like stated earlier they do have to be adjusted but lots of people thing softer is softer(it's the internal valving that is causing this something that stock doesn't have) but that's not the case. If you have an iPhone to someone who came out of the '50s they would tell you it's jusk explain how to use it different story.
The Foxes for the P700 run straight rate springs and don't have position sensitive damping so the pre-load won't change the ride over small bumps, it'll just keep you from bottoming over bigger, more aggressive bumps. The damping adjustment is only for low speed compression which is the main driver for how smooth or harsh the ride is. Fox's own graphs show that the knob can adjust you one way or the other from nominal but only by a fairly small amount.

My comment is just that the base tune is fairly harsh (moreso that stock) for just driving around at 5-10mph over roots and such and you can't adjust much from that. Up the pace and the Foxes come alive, helping to keep body roll controlled and soaking up bigger bumps that blow right through the stock shocks. In general I like the Foxes a lot since I'm a pretty aggressive driver and they work well for that. I just don't want people to get the false impression that the Foxes ride like a cloud over small chop because in my opinion they don't and I've seen some other guys on here say the same thing.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For my Black and White P15 Deluxe coming in the Spring.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I installed my walker evans I had to drop the pressure in the tires to around 8psi, then they were a lot better I can run up to 30 easily trail riding and its nice and plush compared to what it was factory.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The foxes do you have position dampening in them you just need to adjust the spring down to get it out of the top of the compression stroke It actually explains that on fox site.like I said If the rig is at factory height with the fox it's probably rougher at cruise. I learned this lesson. Crank the spring down (compression tighter)it moves the piston inside to a better spot (internal valving)which does ride better. Like I said doesn't make sense but it's the way they work. Factory settings on those are crap. Then you turn the knob(rebound basically)to line that up as well that took a little more dinking because it changes a little differently then rebound but got great settings. And second the fox shocks DO HAVE PROGRESSIVE REAR SHOCKS! Not sure what you're talking about but...at any rate we've used them from one person, loaded,over loaded, all the way up to pulling a trailer with two heavy older sleds on it and two passengers for a total payload of around 2800lbs and the progressive shocks did great. The height of the 700 with fox from the box is about 3/4 of an inch taller with the soft setup your almost 1 1/2in taller. So back to factory height even though it makes sense that you softened it you changed where the piston inside rests at and the dampening is weird and the spring fights it which causes a rough ride at lower speeds. I do know absolutely 100% the p1000 I now have them on is much much much better! Especially the front end but now both ends work very well together and will keep making small adjustments until it's perfect.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For my Black and White P15 Deluxe coming in the Spring.
If it's coming in the spring id wait for Fox or one of the other aftermarket companies to have a set specifically for this rig. The ones I have in my 1000 are actually designed for the 700 so I had to do a little to get them in but nothing major since they were the right height and had more travel the stock 700. The spring rate would be a little off but easy to crank those a bit.the eyelets on both sides of the front shocks had to be drilled out just a bit because of the bigger shock mount bolts but didn't need to screw up the pioneer in any way at all. I'm sure thier setup for the 1000 will have a bigger body on the shocks because of the weight difference so that it will in turn make the shock last a bit longer in between rebuilds(probably not in the machines life but still) slightly thicker spring and a little more dampening. If you got a great deal on a set for the 700 get them and I'd tell you exactly what you needed to do or wait for the 1000 shocks (I'm sure will be more money but they will bolt right up. I just didn't want to wait as my last 700 rode so nice with them(ADJUSTED CORRECTLY) that I wanted the same ride in this one(actually waaaay nicer!)if you're using the 1000 for strictly work leave it alone no big deal. If you want a nicer ride at least ditch fronts the backs were better then 700 and at least and go walker shocks(fox only sells 4) if you want all around comfort go either fox or walker (fox is cheaper and they've been great in all my dirt bikes over the last 25 years however both are top notch) Elka is really good but I found pretty expensive and better but not sure wirth the extra and would be lots more if they needed work(maybe go this route if you have even more money burning in your pockets)But don't be afraid any way you go you will like the difference lots.

Last edited:
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell me where to get fox shocks. Inter web has no listings for this machine yet.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tell me where to get fox shocks. Inter web has no listings for this machine yet.
No not yet. Fox is working on a set for the 1000. I used a set from 700. They work good but you do have to drill the eyelets out a scotch. If it's like the 700 was it'll be a sec

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shocks again. What would happen if you put a 1 1/2" spacer out of proper diameter pipe in the bottom of the spring and a 3/4 on the top. You should keep about the same height but make the spring stiffer do to the compression. Or do the shocks even come apart?
On the 700 you'd compress the spring make it stiffer and get about 2"-3" of lift. Rides like a 10ton truck with a bottle of water in the bed.

advertisement