First Service

G

Ghaniba

Feb 2, 2019
Northeastern CT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Curious, did you guys bring your pioneer 1k in for it's first service or do it yourself? If you brought it in, what did you pay?

Curious,
Dave aka Ghan

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did mine myself, valves sounded good so I did not bother them. Changed engine and transmission oil and used the Honda 10w-40 oil.

Reactions: Lady01
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is out of warranty but I use Brookhaven Honda as a dealer and really didn't think about keeping receipt. I ordered it off of ebay so I didn't have to leave the house!

Reactions: Lady01 and BigOL3
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
always do everything my self and just take a pic of the receipt. would be pretty hard for them to prove you didn't with that, I don't worry about it after. the kids at the dealerships are not touching anything of mine

G

Ghaniba

Feb 2, 2019
Northeastern CT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
always do everything my self and just take a pic of the receipt. would be pretty hard for them to prove you didn't with that, I don't worry about it after. the kids at the dealerships are not touching anything of mine
I agree with this point. Nobody making $10/hr is going to care about my equipment like I will. Just didn't know if anyone had any stories of suffering going this route too!

Dave

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine to dealer. They did a good job. I did not want any warranty issues since technically I am not a certified mechanic.
Plus my shop is full right now.

I will do all of the non ** services.

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine to dealer. They did a good job. I did not want any warranty issues since technically I am not a certified mechanic.
Plus my shop is full right now.

I will do all of the non ** services.
Is it written somewhere (that I am not aware of) that a certified mechanic is required to do oil change to avoid voiding the warranty????

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it written somewhere (that I am not aware of) that a certified mechanic is required to do oil change to avoid voiding the warranty????
Look in your manual at the service schedule. There are some services that have the asterisk beside them such as the first service that included valve checks.
Read what the asterisk footnote is.
Qualified mechanic.

Not all the service intervals have the asterisk.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look in your manual at the service schedule. There are some services that have the asterisk beside them such as the first service that included valve checks.
Read what the asterisk footnote is.
Qualified mechanic.

Not all the service intervals have the asterisk.
I assure you, it is not required to have an oil change done by a mechanic in order not to void the warranty. As for valves they have not been touched.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I assure you, it is not required to have an oil change done by a mechanic in order not to void the warranty. As for valves they have

Again, I never said the manual requires a "mechanic" to do oil changes. Have you actually read your manual and the footnotes for each service?

I will post it up if the OP needs it. I just did not want any hassles with warranty because a "qualified" mechanic did not do the valve check.

Not all the service schedules in the manual have the footnote. It just so happens that the first service includes an oil change AND VALVE check, among other items. This service has the asterisk.

In the end, it is your machine, do as you please.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did the service on my pioneer myself never touched the valves got over 3,000 miles on it. It does not void the warranty. But if you want the dealer to do it if it messes up it's good to point the finger at the other guy.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe there is a law that says they cant make you have the dealer service it to be covered under warrantee. so if you prove you used the right oil they have nothing they can say if it were to go to court.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Again, I never said the manual requires a "mechanic" to do oil changes. Have you actually read your manual and the footnotes for each service?
LOL ...... actually, after having more Hondas than I can remember for over 50 yrs, I did not study the manual. I hit the high spots, when and how to service and left all the 'warnings' out. I honestly don't recall EVER taking even ONE of those Hondas back to get worked on under warranty. But IF it starts making noise from the valves, I will do that ...... lol.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Curious, did you guys bring your pioneer 1k in for it's first service or do it yourself? If you brought it in, what did you pay?

Curious,
Dave aka Ghan

No one has answered your question I took mine in for the first and second service both cost $300 each time. To buy the oils and filters first time cost me $90 I found on Amazon an oil change kit it has the 7 quarts of oil both filters and crush washers $79.99. If you do it yourself look at the oil change guide on this site there are 3 drain plugs, I change all 7 quarts each time even though the transmission is recommended twice a year it's cheap enough and while I'm there might as well just do both.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4VB7CT/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
really the point is if you have some claim related to oil, engine wear or damage they are not going to question it if you show them a pic of the rating that is the same as the one called for in the manual.

G

Ghaniba

Feb 2, 2019
Northeastern CT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I stopped by my "Local Honda Dealer" on my way home from work yesterday. They gave me a quote of about $600 for the first service. Six. Hundred. Ok, it may have been 589 or something, but WTF. Perhaps it's my fault for wearing a collared shirt in to the service desk, but if I let them do the work, It'd be cheaper for me to hire a lawyer to argue it in court than bring it to them for every service!

I'm going to call the dealer I actually bought it from (who's a couple hours away) and see what THEY would charge... Not that I'd be bringing it up to them, but still a worthwhile query. Thanks for all the feedback so far! I ordered the Service Manual last night to review how bad the valve adjustments are to do on these.... but I can't imagine, being a honda that it would be a complete nightmare.

Dave aka Ghan

• Wow
H

HondaTech

No one has answered your question I took mine in for the first and second service both cost $300 each time. To buy the oils and filters first time cost me $90 I found on Amazon an oil change kit it has the 7 quarts of oil both filters and crush washers $79.99. If you do it yourself look at the oil change guide on this site there are 3 drain plugs, I change all 7 quarts each time even though the transmission is recommended twice a year it's cheap enough and while I'm there might as well just do both.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4VB7CT/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Just a quick tip, there are only 2 drain plugs to remove the ENGINE oil. The 3rd plug (farthest forward and 17mm head) is for the sub
transmission. The sub trans oil is recommended to be change every 2 years.

If you drain all 3, you'll need 8 quarts and there is a different fill for the sub trans (under the seat). I've checked 2016 model sub trans oil that is still plenty clean, even with many miles.

H

HondaTech

really the point is if you have some claim related to oil, engine wear or damage they are not going to question it if you show them a pic of the rating that is the same as the one called for in the manual.

Most generally the entire units condition is taken into consideration when deciding a claim like that. If it looks beat to hell, the oil is black, the air filter is clogged full then your probably screwed.

But if it appears that your machine has been maintained in any stretch than they usually dont ask. Plus the majority of the time we send pictures to them or give our opinion and we try to work hard to get them to fix it.

Reactions: Lady01 and BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!