Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I stopped by my "Local Honda Dealer" on my way home from work yesterday. They gave me a quote of about $600 for the first service. Six. Hundred. Ok, it may have been 589 or something, but WTF. Perhaps it's my fault for wearing a collared shirt in to the service desk, but if I let them do the work, It'd be cheaper for me to hire a lawyer to argue it in court than bring it to them for every service!

I'm going to call the dealer I actually bought it from (who's a couple hours away) and see what THEY would charge... Not that I'd be bringing it up to them, but still a worthwhile query. Thanks for all the feedback so far! I ordered the Service Manual last night to review how bad the valve adjustments are to do on these.... but I can't imagine, being a honda that it would be a complete nightmare.

Dave aka Ghan
Holy s***! I paid like $260 for my first service.

I'm on my 2nd pioneer and have done the same maintenance to both.

To answer you initial question, yes I took both of mine in for the first service. There are a few dealers fairly close but only 1 that I trust. They have 3 mechanics and they're all over 40 and have been working there forever. I wanted them to check the valves. This is when it's most important and they should be set for a long time.

I do all of the other services myself. I have had a lot of hondas and have never had to take one in for repairs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
G

Ghaniba

Feb 2, 2019
Northeastern CT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Called the other dealer, got quoted $370 to do the first service. That's way more tempting, but that's two hours away, trailering, etc.

I'll wait on the service manual to land and review at that point if I want to do it or let them do it. If it's anything like the 700 valve adjustment I found, it looks wicked easy compared to what I've been doing on modern BMW bikes.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just a quick tip, there are only 2 drain plugs to remove the ENGINE oil. The 3rd plug (farthest forward and 17mm head) is for the sub
transmission. The sub trans oil is recommended to be change every 2 years.

If you drain all 3, you'll need 8 quarts and there is a different fill for the sub trans (under the seat). I've checked 2016 model sub trans oil that is still plenty clean, even with many miles.

Is it every 2? I thought I read every 6 months, my apologies for the bad info.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
most evre
Called the other dealer, got quoted $370 to do the first service. That's way more tempting, but that's two hours away, trailering, etc.

I'll wait on the service manual to land and review at that point if I want to do it or let them do it. If it's anything like the 700 valve adjustment I found, it looks wicked easy compared to what I've been doing on modern BMW bikes.
most everything you do is way easier on a Honda, you should try the twin quads, like my prairie and can am.everything you do on the can am is strip all the plastic and still have to squeeze, prairie at least yo had room but the front cyl you could only fit one arm in and had to guess by feel you can see. everything ive done on a Honda you think they actually intended someone to work on it unlike all the others

H

HondaTech

Is it every 2? I thought I read every 6 months, my apologies for the bad info.

Yeah sub trans oil is every 2 years. You gotta figure it's not being exposed to combustion or being pumped anywhere. It's just gears running in a case.

If I had a P1K, I'd take a shot at using Honda 80/85w transmission fluid. Its recommended for dirtbike transmissions that are separate from the engine oil. I'm not sure why Honda recommends engine oil there, unless it's just to simply fluid selection when changing both.

Reactions: Lady01 and Ghaniba
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Checking valve clearance is easy on them. Adjusting the intake valve clearance is a little bit involved, as they are a shim under bucket. The exhaust valves run on rocker arms and just have a screw/nut to adjust.

Reactions: Lady01 and Ghaniba
Diverguy

Diverguy

Oct 8, 2018
PA, USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I called around...turned out the cheapest was also the closest dealer. I paid right around $220 for my break-in service

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have any opinions changed on this in the last 2 years? I was pretty much planning on letting the dealer do the break-in service then just going it alone from that point on.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have any opinions changed on this in the last 2 years? I was pretty much planning on letting the dealer do the break-in service then just going it alone from that point on.
I would just do to your self and save $ 130.00. Locate all three drain plugs, you will only be dealing with the back two and don't over tighten the filter covers and lose the springs.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I got my buggy, I noticed after a week the entire roll cage had only been bolted hand-tight. Loose and missing bolts everywhere, I was pissed. Took pics and video and called the dealer... he wasn't happy either. Said he would "take care of me", while I am not sure what that means, I am hoping to negotiate a significant discount off of the break-in service.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Certified mechanic?? I'm a retired Certified Aircraft Mechanic (A&P), If they gave me any static about me doing my own maintenance we'd have a problem.....

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Certified mechanic?? I'm a retired Certified Aircraft Mechanic, If they gave me any static about me doing my own maintenance we'd have a problem.....
The owners manual states you can do your own maintenance, even has a log to record dates and milage. This 600 mile intervals has me confused, the oil that I drain out looks just like the new oil in color, but that's Honda engine quality. I have backed off the 600 mile oil change.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!