Talon First service

K

Kevin7777

Aug 9, 2019
Washington State
Ownership

1. Talon X
Are you doing your first service at 100 miles or 20 hrs? I hit 100 miles and was planning on doing it but the dealer told me to wait until 20 hrs as that will be actual engine hrs. I only have 8 hrs on it.

W

Whichway

Sep 4, 2019
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
Are you doing your first service at 100 miles or 20 hrs? I hit 100 miles and was planning on doing it but the dealer told me to wait until 20 hrs as that will be actual engine hrs. I only have 8 hrs on it.
I believe the owner's manual says 100 miles or 20hrs "whichever comes first". Having said that I don't think waiting until 20hrs will do any harm but I also doubt it will do any good either. I'm going to go ahead and do mine this weekend and I have 120 or so miles and 8.5 hours.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
You'll be fine either way . I do mine at 100 .

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did mine at 120 miles, no where near the hours needed, I don’t remember the exact amount, but found a lot of metal flake in both oil filters. Way more than I was comfortable with. 2 months and 600 miles later still all good 85a944590760a9ace5dd6172a46ab8231cefd021a2c94a92e033682963cee9af094e12d4bd56382e90dbf1f07cd24871

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil and filters are cheap to wash out the assembly’s imperfections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Whichway

Sep 4, 2019
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
I often wonder if the break in particulate is related to the clutch surfaces mating together? I say this because it's not uncommon to see particulate in the first oil change with dirt bikes. After the first it seems to reduce significantly on the bikes.

Does anyone else find the engine oil dipstick next to useless? I put 6.1 quarts in, which is spec when changing both filters, I can't get a clear reading on the dipstick. It's like oil gets on the stick higher up as you remove it and runs down. For the record I changed both the sub transmission and the engine oil so I know I didn't drain the sub transmission and double fill the engine:cool:.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I often wonder if the break in particulate is related to the clutch surfaces mating together? I say this because it's not uncommon to see particulate in the first oil change with dirt bikes. After the first it seems to reduce significantly on the bikes.

Does anyone else find the engine oil dipstick next to useless? I put 6.1 quarts in, which is spec when changing both filters, I can't get a clear reading on the dipstick. It's like oil gets on the stick higher up as you remove it and runs down. For the record I changed both the sub transmission and the engine oil so I know I didn't drain the sub transmission and double fill the engine:cool:.

You did remove and drain both engine plugs? I missed the second one until noticing that not nearly enough oil came out. Honda oil change procedure is unusual way to check oil, not just pull dipstick and read. New clear oil can be difficult to read.

W

Whichway

Sep 4, 2019
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
You did remove and drain both engine plugs? I missed the second one until noticing that not nearly enough oil came out. Honda oil change procedure is unusual way to check oil, not just pull dipstick and read. New clear oil can be difficult to read.

Pardon the delay in getting back to this, I was out of town.
DAJO I owe you a beer or two. I like to think of myself as fairly mechanically inclined so I am very embarrassed to say I missed the second plug. I have since drained it and put in six quarts and, will wonders never cease, I am getting a correct reading on the dipstick. Thankfully I never ran the motor for more than a minute or two while it was overfilled. Thanks again, Whichway

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!