P1000m5 Flip up superatv windshield and soft top

Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need help!! Anyone have experience using the Super Atv flip up windshield and the Honda brand soft top with back panel? Bought the top today completely unaware I needed a Honda windshield to go with it till I went to install it. Don’t want to order and windshield that won’t work for my but at the same time have a hard time spending the cash Honda wants for theirs.
Thanks

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need help!! Anyone have experience using the Super Atv flip up windshield and the Honda brand soft top with back panel? Bought the top today completely unaware I needed a Honda windshield to go with it till I went to install it. Don’t want to order and windshield that won’t work for my but at the same time have a hard time spending the cash Honda wants for theirs.
Thanks
No help here, but welcome to the site, from down in Dixie.

H

HondaTech

All Honda is doing is bolting the P channel to the existing bolts that the top clamps use. You could probably drill new holes in the lip of the SATV windshield and use that to hold the front edge.

Ofcourse when you flip it up it would loosen up a bit, but I dont think I it would hurt anything.

Reactions: Hunterlove
Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it figured out. Bolted the P-channel to some 1/4 plexiglass and installed it to the cage with foam tape and 1/2 zip ties. Figured it’d give this a go before ordering the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonC58

RonC58

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it figured out. Bolted the P-channel to some 1/4 plexiglass and installed it to the cage with foam tape and 1/2 zip ties. Figured it’d give this a go before ordering the windshield.
Question?? I was planning the same combination but in a different order. I have the Super ATV flip windshield already on my 1000-5 Deluxe, and planned to purchase the soft top & back panel. Wanted to go the soft top direction because the wife wants to feel the sun when weather allows on the trail. I made the assumption that the top is designed to be easily removed. If you bolt and zip tie, doesn't sound like easy removal. Am I confused as to how you fastened the top?? Could you maybe post some pictures? Thanks for any help offered.

Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’ll get some pics in a few. The top I fastened as per the directions. The directions are a little vague in some areas so you kinda have to guess. (Went through two cans of Copenhagen) the plexiglass is just a temporary homemade windshield. Iaid the foam tape against any area where to plexiglass will contact roll bar and top to prevent squeaking. The 1/2 zip ties hold it in place. Drilled a few 5/16 holes along the top that line up with the Honda P-channel supplied with the top. I used nylon flanged bushing through the holes and steel fender washers with neoprene backing to hold everything against the plexiglass. The top isn’t too hard to take back off. Just start at the back and work forward so you can flip it over the hood and slide it out of the P-channel. Hope this explanation wasn’t more harm than good.

Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A9f0332ec11c5e54e5eb19c940cde8b425e41e52a1769a594706c09342dd4dd100c198d20eccded62b75ddcf734bb070
I should of take pics during install but the only permanent piece is the P-channel on the windshield. I think the Bimini soft top doesn’t have to be mounted to the windshield. Just the soft top with back panel

Reactions: TimG
RonC58

RonC58

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll get some pics in a few. The top I fastened as per the directions. The directions are a little vague in some areas so you kinda have to guess. (Went through two cans of Copenhagen) the plexiglass is just a temporary homemade windshield. Iaid the foam tape against any area where to plexiglass will contact roll bar and top to prevent squeaking. The 1/2 zip ties hold it in place. Drilled a few 5/16 holes along the top that line up with the Honda P-channel supplied with the top. I used nylon flanged bushing through the holes and steel fender washers with neoprene backing to hold everything against the plexiglass. The top isn’t too hard to take back off. Just start at the back and work forward so you can flip it over the hood and slide it out of the P-channel. Hope this explanation wasn’t more harm than good.

Hey Thanks for the response,
I think I understand a little better, sounds like it's a temporary setup for you with the plexy & zips. Maybe my confusion is with the P channel you mention and how it ultimately needs to be secured? A picture might be worth that 1000 words for me. Meantime, I'll try and research installation instructions on the soft top. Thanks again!

Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Thanks for the response,
I think I understand a little better, sounds like it's a temporary setup for you with the plexy & zips. Maybe my confusion is with the P channel you mention and how it ultimately needs to be secured? A picture might be worth that 1000 words for me. Meantime, I'll try and research installation instructions on the soft top. Thanks again!

The P-channel needs to be permanently bolted. I think with the Honda brand windshields it bolts into pre existing holes in the windshield frame. The top has a strip the in the front that slides in and out of the P-channel for removal. I installed my P-channel 3.25” down from top of ROPS it seems to tighten up fine. 0d0302cc04fe1ffda55904da5c26ece5

Hunterlove

Hunterlove

Sep 21, 2018
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing I noticed with the top installation. There is cross bars to keep it tight with snap on brackets to attach to the ROPS. On mine the factory welds are rather poor and will not allow the clip to seat fully. 1847cdaa6e4f21cb6f059a902d29c052

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!