P1000 Floor Panel Removal or Access to Cavity Under Floor???

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Can someone please tell me how to remove the floor panel of my 1000-3?

I drove the buggy a short distance yesterday and, at low speed without my usual noise blocking ear muffs and heard a rhythmic "whap - whap - what" sound in synch with rotation of the front driveshaft. It sounds like something is in contact with the shaft as it rotates or is wrapped around the shaft and smacking the floor or panel below.

The heater ducts and some wiring harnesses are located in that space. It's likely to destroy something if ignored.

How do I access that panel to find what is wrong? Is the floor panel removable from the cabin?

Advice and photos if you have them will be very much appreciated.

Reactions: Biteme
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had mine apart running wires under there. You have to take the plastic seat housing out.
But later on I put on a skid plate, and saw all that same stuff from underneath. If I have to get in there again I’ll be dropping the skid plate. Way easier access, especially if you still have the stock skid plate dust cover.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup, better off dripping the skid. Too much BS to get that floor board plate out then you’ll go….$hit! That aint the place i thought it was! Guaranteed! Instant dick in the dirt lol.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had mine apart running wires under there. You have to take the plastic seat housing out.
But later on I put on a skid plate, and saw all that same stuff from underneath. If I have to get in there again I’ll be dropping the skid plate. Way easier access, especially if you still have the stock skid plate dust cover.
Thank you. That's what I need to know. The buggy has the original floor, seat, and bottom panel.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yup, better off dripping the skid. Too much BS to get that floor board plate out then you’ll go….$hit! That aint the place i thought it was! Guaranteed! Instant dick in the dirt lol.
Thanks for seconding that advice.

Is the so-called skid plate secured by the Honda plastic push pins?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone please tell me how to remove the floor panel of my 1000-3?

I drove the buggy a short distance yesterday and, at low speed without my usual noise blocking ear muffs and heard a rhythmic "whap - whap - what" sound in synch with rotation of the front driveshaft. It sounds like something is in contact with the shaft as it rotates or is wrapped around the shaft and smacking the floor or panel below.

The heater ducts and some wiring harnesses are located in that space. It's likely to destroy something if ignored.

How do I access that panel to find what is wrong? Is the floor panel removable from the cabin?

Advice and photos if you have them will be very much appreciated.
Oh no… I hope it’s not as bad as it was for me…

I dropped the entire skid plate to find that all my heater duct and wires were wrapped up in the driveshaft, and also took out the subtrans seal. Had to pull the subtrans to replace the seal as well.

I’ll try to find my thread on this.

this is why I advise against heater ducts in this space. So much heat is lost in the runs anyway and little to no benefits.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I dropped the entire skid plate to find that all my heater duct and wires were wrapped up in the driveshaft, and also took out the subtrans seal. Had to pull the subtrans to replace the seal as well.

this is why I advise against heater ducts in this space. So much heat is lost in the runs anyway and little to no benefits.
Ohh nooo again! I hope that's not the case. I've seen photos of a similar event.

I'm going out to the garage as soon as I hit post reply to see if the Inferno heater will turn on, and if I have air flow from the dash ducts.

What other wiring harnesses run through that space? I'll try light also.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Yeah that sucks, sounds like an engineer thought of running it like that..............wait, what?!?!?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ohh nooo again! I hope that's not the case. I've seen photos of a similar event.

I'm going out to the garage as soon as I hit post reply to see if the Inferno heater will turn on, and if I have air flow from the dash ducts.

Happened to me once (the sound) turned out to be just a bunch of pine needles clobbered up together.

Good luck

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thread 'Need to replace sub trans seal'
P1000 - Need to replace sub trans seal

here’s a quick pic I could find. It happened while I was in the Black Hills on the trails luckily I was only 1.5 miles from camp, but that was more than enough to screw up the seal. Photo is with the front half of skid plate dropped, looking up. Black plastic behind the coolant pipes is the bottom side of the floor board. My heater power wires and switch wires run in the same space.

while I was at the campsite, it took me most of the day under the pioneer getting the duct work cleaned up to at least finish the vacation. I just kept topping off the subtrans each night.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Back from the garage.

Headlamps, taillamps, brake lights, turn signals, license pllate lamp, and Inferno cab heater work normally.

I have good heater air flow from the two vents on the front of the seat platform. Not sure about air flow from the two dash outlets. I do have air flow from the dash outlets but it might be weak. I don't recall exactly how much air flow I originally had from the dash ducts. The duct that supplies the dash vents may be compromised.

I'll report what I find when the bottom pan is removed.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah that sucks, sounds like an engineer thought of running it like that..............wait, what?!?!?
Hmmm I remember being on the camp of needing vents on the dash for defrosting. I had two on the dash and two on the floor at the time. Now they are all on the floor, on the engine bulkhead.

I assure you, there was a lot of cussing at the dummy engineer that installed it (me!) back at the campsite!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Happened to me once (the sound) turned out to be just a bunch of pine needles clobbered up together.

Good luck
That would be good news but I can't think of any foreign objects that could be in the under floor space.

My Pioneer is a pavement queen. It's never even been on a dirt trail or even in rain puddles on the pavement.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sure wish I was in West Virginia and I could give you a hand. The belly pan will be held on with a bunch of 10mm headed bolts. You might be able to just drop the front few a get a good look. It is actually 2 pieces that can be split by taking 1 of the plastic push pins out. I never put the push pin back in and left mine in 2 separate pieces. The problem for me is getting under there to take the bolts out. When I change my oil I pull the belly pan off to get a full inspection but to make it easier to access I winch my rig up a big tree we have in my yard. Hope you can find what is making the sound but hopefully just a simple zip tie or something hitting the drive shaft. Good luck my friend.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for seconding that advice.

Is the so-called skid plate secured by the Honda plastic push pins?
No, screws. If u still have the stock, Honda G string skid plate. This would be a good time to remove it and put a real skid plate under there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!