P1000 Fourche Mountain Trail

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think the wife and I are going to take the P1K up there in the morning to look things over till it gets too hot. Looks like a good riding area. Maybe we'll meet someone there who knows a little about the place.

Braleyoutdoors

Braleyoutdoors

May 31, 2016
Fannin County Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post your findings...we are form NE Tx and are planning our first Mena trip for July 22-24. We will be riding Wolf Pen, but our options are open for good trails.

Reactions: Jbird
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just got back from Wolf Pen (4th of July weekend) and had a good time. We kept Fourche Mountain in the back of our heads in case we ran out of trails but that didn't happen at Wolf Pen at 40 miles/day for 2 days. Lots of easy trails that are really just forest roads in Wolf Pen, but we found some fairly challenging trails on the West side and also on the East side. The east side was a different trail system that connected to Wolf Pen Gap.

Sorry for the derail, but yes, keep us posted on Fourche.

Waylan

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well we rode about 35% of Fourche today. It was hot but a strong breeze helped in the few open spots. We tried to avoid those trails marked most difficult since we were there alone. We rode mostly the ones marked more difficult and the easy sections (precious few). Spent 70% of our time crawling through rocks with steep up and down hills. The trails marked more difficult were plenty tough. One good thing is the P1000 won us over with the fantastic things it can do and the ease with which it crosses really tough obstacles. The trails were so steep, tight and rocky that we were forced to tackle things we would have passed on if we could have turned around. We may try Sugar Creek next or Wolf Pen that we have already rode. No accidents today but I will be looking into skid plates.lol

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome info - thanks for the update. Cassatot lodge - Sugar Creek is where we have stayed twice when we rode Wolf Pen. Good folks there.

Waylan

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sugar Creek is where we are staying on July 22-24...Goodtimes to come I hope!
I'm not sure we are talking about the same place. I am referring to the Sugar Creek Multi-use Trail. It is a separate trail system near Knoppers Ford Recreation Area.

Braleyoutdoors

Braleyoutdoors

May 31, 2016
Fannin County Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool. Have you ridden the Sugar Creek trails and what are they like? The Fourche trails were pretty rough and we are looking for easy to medium trails to ride in this heat.
We have never been anywhere in ARK...

advertisement
whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
I'm a little confused about these places. I am looking at Wolf Pen atv campground. I'm assuming that you drive from here to the trail head. Correct?? Thinking of going pretty soon. Looks great. 7 hours away from me it will have to be a couple day stay.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whayden2003, are y'all planning to camp out? If you are looking for a cabin to rent, we just went and were pretty happy staying at Cassatot Lodge Sugar Creek. We just went for the 4th of July weekend. I think we stayed at the Mine Creek lodge - basically a dated cinder block home with 2 king beds and another twin bed in the living room. House wasn't super nice, but it was somewhat private, had a couple small ponds in the back yard, and the AC was cold. Fridge, stove, towels, etc. all included. 2 showers. I think we paid 140/night.

To answer your questions - most of the cabins near the national forest have drive access to the trailhead(s). You may have to get on pavement for a couple miles but everybody does it and it's accepted - no patrol cars giving out tickets or anything.

The riding at Wolf Pen gap was pretty good - lots of single and 2-lane gravel roads along with intermediate trails with varying degrees of difficulty. We rode 2 days at 40 miles/day - could have done more but it gets pretty hot this time of the year and the little ones get wore out.

Waylan

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Yea we planning on staying two nights. The night we arrive and the night after riding the next day and leaving on the third day. Basically a weekend trip. This will be our first time going on a riding trip with the Honda and the whole family. I'm looking at staying at Wolf pen Gap atv park. Talked with Linda. Seem like a great lady. She says there is plenty of trails.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I stayed in one of their A-Frame cabins back in 1999 or so - we rode straight from the park, had a good time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!