P1000 Trail Tie Rod Change

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have recently purchased some tracks for my 1000-5 and have been trying to come up with a trail emergency kit of tools and parts in case I break down in the desert. I believe I have come up with everything I need for the tracks, but I'm thinking the weak link on the Pioneer itself might be the tie rods. I was just curious what everyone is taking to make these an easier change on the trail or snowdrift in my case. I see some posts on the need of a 1 1/4" crows foot socket, but as I have never changed mine out before, I didn't know exactly how the inner end is locked on the rack and if I need something special for that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes, a 1&1/4 crow's foot or an adjustable that big. I actually modified an adjustable wrench to push its max from a hair over 1 to 1.25.

Anyways, here is a good guide from @lee
Multi - Field Stripping a Tie Rod

But, tracks and 2ft of snow add's a new level of complexity to it for sure.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have recently purchased some tracks for my 1000-5 and have been trying to come up with a trail emergency kit of tools and parts encase I break down in the desert. I believe I have come up with everything I need for the tracks, but I'm thinking the weak link on the Pioneer itself might be the tie rods. I was just curious what everyone is taking to make these an easier change on the trail or snowdrift in my case. I see some posts on the need of a 1 1/4" crows foot socket, but as I have never changed mine out before, I didn't know exactly how the inner end is locked on the rack and if I need something special for that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The inner lock is a metal shim (pictured below) with 2 teeth that typically shear off or bend out when removing. That said the new tie rods come with that shim and in a pinch an 8" to 12" vise grip can get on that 37mn ( 1 1/4") nut and get it loose fairly quickly. I just carry a regular 1 1/4" combo wrench and it has worked fine every time. I think I've replaced 4 in the field and 3 in my shop all with just the tools I carry.

As noted above:
Multi - Field Stripping a Tie Rod by @lee get the screw clamp (Honda Part # 95018-46250) off the old ATC110 for large end of steering boot makes it so much easier.
20180322 223943

20180322 113157

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JACKAL @Hondasxs Thank you guys for the info. I did get a chance to look at Lee's thread and feel confident in being able to do it on the trail (snow). I'm usually a very careful slow rider and don't think that will change with the tracks. I'm just a little nervous as I am the one in our riding group that's the guinea pig with tracks and will be going by myself or just with my wife and kids. I never was a boy scout, but I live by their motto of "being prepared". These tracks were from local guy that had a mishap and bent the anti rotation bracket. I was able to fix it and make it stronger, so I'm guessing the weak link now is the tierods. I feel better now in having the knowledge in replacing them if I need to and it looks like I will be fine with the tools and items that I already have. Thanks again.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only part more fun to swap on trail than a tie rod is upper front a-arm bolts.

I haven't had any issues with tie rods since swapping to the new 2022 Pioneer 1000 tie rods. I bent several and helped others replace a few of the 2016-2021 tie rods.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only part more fun to swap on trail than a tie rod is upper front a-arm bolts.

I haven't had any issues with tie rods since swapping to the new 2022 Pioneer 1000 tie rods. I bent several and helped others replace a few of the 2016-2021 tie rods.
I saw some info on upgrading to the 2022 version and thought about doing that before hand. I also watched a video on youtube of some other brand of UTV with tracks and the guys said they bent and broke tie rods so they installed beefier models. Then they ended up braking the end off the rack, so I thought it might be better to have a weak link in the tie rod. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared in case I needed to change it to get back home.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I saw some info on upgrading to the 2022 version and thought about doing that before hand. I also watched a video on youtube of some other brand of UTV with tracks and the guys said they bent and broke tie rods so they installed beefier models. Then they ended up braking the end off the rack, so I thought it might be better to have a weak link in the tie rod. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared in case I needed to change it to get back home.
$30 tie rod much cheaper than $780 rack.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I doubt Honda would have beefed up the tierods if they thought the rack couldnt handle it.
Aftermarket tie rods, and why do you think they didn't update the steering rack when they buffed the power steering moter 60%+ on newest models

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Aftermarket tie rods, and why do you think they didn't update the steering rack when they buffed the power steering moter 60%+ on newest models
Is that possibly why the new part # for the rack in 2022?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!