P1000m5 Fox shocks: Guidance on a good purchase I made

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm tired of talking about shocks, If you would have ponyed up up and bought custom built shocks for the weight of your machine and accesosies and how you ride, it's a once and done deal. Fox's they have a good reputation, that's as far as I will take that. I have Elka Stage 5's, and you only need Stage 3's, filled all the info about S X S and accessories and riding style, they sent me the perfect shocks. Never looked back. one and done.

I enjoy the tinkering. The hands on allows you to understand the components better. Knowing why something does what it does is half the fun for me.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm tired of talking about shocks, If you would have ponyed up up and bought custom built shocks for the weight of your machine and accesosies and how you ride, it's a once and done deal. Fox's they have a good reputation, that's as far as I will take that. I have Elka Stage 5's, and you only need Stage 3's, filled all the info about S X S and accessories and riding style, they sent me the perfect shocks. Never looked back. one and done.
Smitty, I'd have to agree with your assessment. I'm still new here, but I read every thread I could find about shocks and did a ton of research right on these HondaSxS forums... I fully intended to buy Fox stage 3's for my P1K5. I knew I needed new shocks because when I loaded the buggy down with corn and help to go fill feeders, I'd bottom out on just about any kind of bump in the road... Also when riding faster and empty, I'd still bottom out sometimes... Since joining this site, I've done all sorts of upgrades including new larger 8 ply tires, a lift and such... For my use and riding style, I didn't need anything fancy, just more stable and capable of supporting a working load... I talked to the folks at Elka and they described to me what seemed to be a good fit... I ordered them and though I've only just now got them installed and took one short ride in my pasture, I can already tell they are EXACTLY what I needed... I'm done buying shocks! I now read the shocks threads out of curiosity and interest only, not to look for something better... already got that! 👍 ;)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Viper springs arriving today. Fox QS3's arriving on TUE. Spring compressors in hand.

If all goes well, maybe I'll look into upgrading the hydraulics on my Ottobock X3 !! 😄

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I finally started on my fox shock install over my lunch break. I got all the old shocks out and installed the rear and began setting the pre load to approximately 0.89" when I realized I had made a dumb mistake 😖 I did not take any pre fox shock frame measurements to get the body height set using pre tension. Sooo.... I am hopeful to use some measurements I found from @P1K5Dave who is just all around awesome!

If anyone (@P1K5Dave @Remington) might have some shock bolt to bolt measurements while sitting unloaded and level that would also be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So I finally started on my fox shock install over my lunch break. I got all the old shocks out and installed the rear and began setting the pre load to approximately 0.89" when I realized I had made a dumb mistake 😖 I did not take any pre fox shock frame measurements to get the body height set using pre tension. Sooo.... I am hopeful to use some measurements I found from @P1K5Dave who is just all around awesome!

If anyone (@P1K5Dave @Remington) might have some shock bolt to bolt measurements while sitting unloaded and level that would also be extremely helpful! Thank you!
I've got my new QS3's with the Viper 14" springs on them lying next to my bike. I'll be taking various before and after measurements.

Another member said he started off with 2" on the fronts and 1.75" on the rears. Measured from A to B (see pic). This gave him 12.5" front and 13.25" rear clearances. He didn't measure before, either, so he didn't know what he gained over stock.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got my new QS3's with the Viper 14" springs on them lying next to my bike. I'll be taking various before and after measurements.

Another member said he started off with 2" on the fronts and 1.75" on the rears. Measured from A to B (see pic). This gave him 12.5" front and 13.25" rear clearances. He didn't measure before, either, so he didn't know what he gained over stock.

View attachment 352551
Thank you! I was following P1k5dave measurements at 0.86" for rear and 1.4" for front. My machine is still in the air in a rack. I have not messed with the front yet. I have the rear done but I am waiting until 5 to get off work and finish the front. Then I can set it down and see what it looks like.

Reactions: WagginTail
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the method I was following, I will have to measure to compare to your diagram but it will be interesting to see. P1k5dave used a socket in this manner. My current socket measures 0.89"

IMG20220906125738

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 352551
When I measure mine as you describe I am around 1.25" as compared to the socket method at 0.89"

Reactions: Remington
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When the machine is lifted I measure 20" from bolt to bolt. So theoretically I should be around 15" bolt to bolt while sitting on the ground correct?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When I measure mine as you describe I am around 1.25" as compared to the socket method at 0.89"
Ok , In layman's terms WTH are you trying to do? Seriously I have no idea? This isnt engineering 101 to set preload to check your shock hight 🤣 . If your comparing to your stock shock, I have no clue? I just knew I needed enough hight
(all look and feel) to get my tires to clear and to find that happy median between hight and comfort as well. Its a feel thing. Took me alot of taking the shocks off and on, riding and adjustment to get it right. Every rig is completely different in this. I started it with no preload fyi.
If Im missing something let me know. I have think skin🤣

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok , In layman's terms WTH are you trying to do? Seriously I have no idea? This isnt engineering 101 to set preload to check your shock hight 🤣 . If your comparing to your stock shock, I have no clue? I just knew I needed enough hight
(all look and feel) to get my tires to clear and to find that happy median between hight and comfort as well. Its a feel thing. Took me alot of taking the shocks off and on, riding and adjustment to get it right. Every rig is completely different in this. I started it with no preload fyi.
If Im missing something let me know. I have think skin🤣

I forgot to get my pre fox shock height measurements. So I am trying to get them set initially so I can attempt to dial in pre load. My thought process was originally set the shocks to the old height and adjust from there. Referring to vehicle height. Not shocks.

Currently I am just installing them and using p1k5dave's pre load measurements.

In theory to achieve 25%-30% sag I would want the fox shock rear to compress 5" after lowering it from the lift correct?

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I forgot to get my pre fox shock height measurements. So I am trying to get them set initially so I can attempt to dial in pre load. My thought process was originally set the shocks to the old height and adjust from there. Referring to vehicle height. Not shocks.

Currently I am just installing them and using p1k5dave's pre load measurements.

In theory to achieve 25%-30% sag I would want the fox shock rear to compress 5" after lowering it from the lift correct?
Holy hell! Sorry I never did that. Even after new springs. just adjusted to my liking. Took all the work harder out of it 🤣 like I said, all rigs are different, weight, load tires, wheels and types of riding. I didnt overthink it with Equations and just adjusted to my liking. Wirked great for me from Drummond Island, RRB, Colorado to The Black hills and back. Don't overthink it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are overthinking it a bit @Robobrainiac

It's really just a matter of preloading to the height you want (without overdoing it.) The socket is just a tool to check that they're even side to side.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You are overthinking it a bit @Robobrainiac

It's really just a matter of preloading to the height you want (without overdoing it.) The socket is just a tool to check that they're even side to side.
☝️ ☝️☝️☝️THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The main thing to gleen from other guys measurements is to get in the ball park, to note that a level machine has more preload in the front than the back, and to understand that 1" of preload does not equal 1" of added height. It adds a lot more than that.

Dial them in how you like, then get your cambers set.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!