Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you EVERYONE for the awesome guidance!! I have the shocks installed and I will now drive it around and make some adjustments as time passes. You are all Amazing help!
Let us know how it turns out for you. Youll love it once you find the sweet spot

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know how it turns out for you. Youll love it once you find the sweet spot
It may be wishful thinking but just driving it thru the gravel parking lot and hitting the bumps at work it already feels so much better. I am going to let it settle for a couple days and then check the pre load again.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The main thing to gleen from other guys measurements is to get in the ball park, to note that a level machine has more preload in the front than the back, and to understand that 1" of preload does not equal 1" of added height. It adds a lot more than that.

Dial them in how you like, then get your cambers set.
That's what she said . . .

Sorry. Twice in one thread. Put me in FaceBook jail.
In fact, I'll Otis myself into jail on my own.

Last edited:
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm tired of talking about shocks, If you would have ponyed up up and bought custom built shocks for the weight of your machine and accesosies and how you ride, it's a once and done deal. Fox's they have a good reputation, that's as far as I will take that. I have Elka Stage 5's, and you only need Stage 3's, filled all the info about S X S and accessories and riding style, they sent me the perfect shocks. Never looked back. one and done.
I just ordered stage 3 elkas. Filled out all the information. Now it's time to wait.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I were able to put these thru their paces over the last 2 weeks at Drummond Island Michigan. Huge improvement even with a high lifter lift kit! I do have some clearance issues with the front gas reservoirs at full compression and full turn. We will be making an investment in some c-fab arms to keep the vehicle height and move the shocks back to thier OEM position. I will be putting my high lifter arms and high lifter lift up for sale soon.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I were able to put these thru their paces over the last 2 weeks at Drummond Island Michigan. Huge improvement even with a high lifter lift kit! I do have some clearance issues with the front gas reservoirs at full compression and full turn. We will be making an investment in some c-fab arms to keep the vehicle height and move the shocks back to thier OEM position. I will be putting my high lifter arms and high lifter lift up for sale soon.
Have you considered the new heavier duty SuperATV arms? Looks like a nice upgrade over their stock parts

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered the new heavier duty SuperATV arms? Looks like a nice upgrade over their stock parts
I saw those but I did not see they added lift. Only forward movement.

Reactions: Remington
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
While late to this topic, thought I’d share that I too was one of many to purchase new front and rear Honda Fox shock sets to install on my “bought new“ 2017 P1000-5 deluxe. Timeline was about 2 years ago. Also, like many/most folks, I immediately realized the rear dual-rate progressive springs were just-about-completely coil bound at the upper lighter weight windings. This was in static, unloaded stance. Yeah, the machine had the necessary accessories most of us run such as full skids, roof, mirrors and the like. Still, what a boneheaded BS design mother Honda did with these LE shocks.

I read this forum, did a little communication to others. Couldn’t bring myself to simply ”upgrade” to single rate progressive springs. I happen to like dual rates. Didn’t want to spend more money to attempt to correct the design flaw. After all, the P1000 is never going to be a sport model, right? So I simply decided to ride around with shocks that were by far better than the tired Deluxe shocks, but not great.

Then a while back I removed the Fox’s and sold the the 1000-5D. I then put them on my 1000-3 that runs 29’s with beadlocks. (FYI: the 5 seater had 28’s on other beadlocks).
I’ve yet to reset preload or rebound. Rides way better with more clearances and no more slight tire rub. And springs are not coil bound! One of these days I’ll spend a little time and set the proper sag. Until then, I’ll wait to see what Honda will offer with the Talon 2023…

Thanks for lettin me share and vent.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where do your tires rub? It's likely you'll be better off with a lower CG for ride and handling
The top of the tire tread touches the bottom of the gas reservoirs. I have 1" spacers on front and 2" spacers on rear. After a little research I decided money would be better spent on c-fab arms versus new wider spaces. The factory "lean-in" position would allow the gas reservoirs to clear the tires. I thought about trying to reverse the shocks but the brake reservoir might be in the way on drivers side. My wife and I were so impressed at the ride improvement that others have stated returning the shocks to their factory positions versus bracket lift improves ride quality even more. We really like the ride clearance the lift gave us and the fox shocks gave us an additional inch so c-fab arms with bracket lift remove should allow us to stay nice and tall without too much pre-load.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Add more preload or if your out of room or compressed too much, update the springs like many of us have. Id deff dump that bracket lift and get your suspension geometry back where its suppose to be. You will be happier. Most people dont realize till you put it back. I was one.
I saw those but I did not see they added lift. Only forward movement.
I belive there do! All SATV arms are arched! Nothing massive Tho.
what size tire are you running to need that much lift 35’s? 🤣

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add more preload or if your out of room or compressed too much, update the springs like many of us have. Id deff dump that bracket lift and get your suspension geometry back where its suppose to be. You will be happier. Most people dont realize till you put it back. I was one.

I belive there do! All SATV arms are arched! Nothing massive Tho.
what size tire are you running to need that much lift 35’s? 🤣

I currently have 28x10x14 SuperATV Intimidators. I already confirmed with SuperATV they do not have any arms with lift. I may go 30s in the future. I don't want to lose too much torque or power. The intimidators are heavy.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I currently have 28x10x14 SuperATV Intimidators. I already confirmed with SuperATV they do not have any arms with lift. I may go 30s in the future. I don't want to lose too much torque or power. The intimidators are heavy.
I think you should try the shocks in the stock position with more preload. It won't require any new parts and you should be able to maintain the same height with similar ride

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have 30c10.5x15’s with fox shocks (diff springs) with added preload , SATV forward arched arms and the RB3 spacer bundle. dont rub no issues. was stock, lost a bit a power on low end in spots but not bad. That all was fixed and then some with the exclusive Snuff tune.

0E191957 50A4 4155 AF14 4881DDD28694 B83F8E68 4563 4A22 9D06 669F50CA3135

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update

The fox shocks ride great. I really appreciate them. My wife seems to like them too. I do have some added body roll but I also have the rear sway bar disconnected. I am not a fast driver so it doesn't bother me. I set the shocks to firm at home to reduce the body roll. At home is where I typically ride the fastest. On trail I ride slow and just go. I set them to softest and it rides really nice. I ordered the c-fab arms on black Friday and I look forward to installing them.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are some pictures for proof of my tire to shock rub predicament. I am not certain the exact scenario it occurred in but this is left front.

IMG20221106140025 IMG20221106141733 IMG20221106141755

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. I currently have the high lifter arms and the high lifter bracket lift. The arms and bracket lift will be removed and replaced with the 3" lift with arch c-fab arms.

The bracket lift is what causes the tires to contact the fox shocks.

I also already have 1.5" wheel spacers on front as well.

Do u have a lift?

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The bracket lift is what causes the tires to contact the fox shocks.
BINGO!
Just wanted others to see the real life experience of the crappy suspension geometry orientation that we keep talking about with bracket lifts. One of a couple things anyway lol.

BTW your gonna love the change in ride once u get it back to normal

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!