P700 Front diff fill?

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive enjoyed the front differential seal leaking on my 2017 700-4....

Long story short, I checked the fluid tonight and observed it to be low. Assuming the bolt with the white stripe on it in this picture was a "fill hole" as opposed to an inspection hole I removed it and found it to be a hollow bolt with a spring inside of it. As it was covered with gear oil, I proceeded to fill from there until oil ran from the inspection port as usual.

I see in the service guidance online it calls for filling through the inspection cap.

Did I do something wrong here? Things appear to be just fine but maybe you guys know a little more. Hoping to know what that bolt is and any precautions.

Thanks in advance for your .02.

trapper

IMG 5522 IMG 5521

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes that is the fill/inspection cap. You didn't mention where you're leak was but check the o-ring on the cap.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes that is the fill/inspection cap. You didn't mention where you're leak was but check the o-ring on the cap.

The leak is on the input shaft seal. Both the inspection cap and the one I used to fill the diff oil are good and dry.

Thanks for the reply GlockMeister

Reactions: GlockMeister
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May check your vent tube as well to make sure it's clear. A blocked vent can push a seal out.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive enjoyed the front differential seal leaking on my 2017 700-4....

Long story short, I checked the fluid tonight and observed it to be low. Assuming the bolt with the white stripe on it in this picture was a "fill hole" as opposed to an inspection hole I removed it and found it to be a hollow bolt with a spring inside of it. As it was covered with gear oil, I proceeded to fill from there until oil ran from the inspection port as usual.

I see in the service guidance online it calls for filling through the inspection cap.

Did I do something wrong here? Things appear to be just fine but maybe you guys know a little more. Hoping to know what that bolt is and any precautions.

trapper

View attachment 44946 View attachment 44947
I see two bolts that appear to have a white stripe on them. I believe you fill/inspect through the large one on the right, and do not remove the one on the left at all. Mind you, its been a while since I did it and I used the service manual that I am not looking at now as I try to recall the process.

Reactions: trapperm
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire

trapper

View attachment 44946 View attachment 44947
Everything except draining is done through the inspection cap, no need to remove the other bolt with the spring behind it.

Reactions: trapperm
T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got it. Thanks for the help guys. I was more so concerned that I hadn't done any harm by not using the inspection cap to fill the diff fluid.

I do know now where I'll be servicing that in the future though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!