Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today I changed diff oil and snapped a few pictures along the way. This is pretty easy to do and there's no reason to pay someone else to do it! This is only intended as a guide blah blah blah consult your owners manual you know the drill!

What you'll need-
Rags or paper towels
Gear oil, I buy 1 liter
Funnel with a flexible hose on the end
Drain pan
10mm box end wrench
17mm socket with 10-12" extension
Ratchet for the above socket

First I like to drive around a few miles to warm up the oil. If this isn't an option for you it's not the end of the world, but it's preferred.

Park the machine on level ground and place a drain pan under the front differential. There is a drain hole in the skid plate that you will use. You can now remove the drain plug with your 10mm box end wrench. Here is the drain plug, under the drivers side front axle-

It's easiest to put the wrench through the skid plate from the bottom to access this plug-

Remove the plug completely, don't drop it in the drain pan!

Once all the oil drains out put the drain plug back in. You will now remove the fill plug with your 17mm socket and your long extension. This is what I use-

You can reach this in from the side quite easily to remove the fill plug. Here's the plug right in front of where the axle goes into the differential.

Once the fill plug is out its time to position your funnel with a flex hose on the end. Here's how I did mine-

Time for oil. Here's what I'm using

SLOWLY add oil to the differential. SLOWLY!! You will make a mess if you try to pour too fast. Trust me. Continue to add oil until it begins to dribble out the fill port-

Once oil is dribbling out you can put the cap back on. Technically speaking, the proper level is when the oil is right at the bottom of the fill hole. It takes approximately 22 oz. I believe. Buy a liter so you can spill some too like me. Once the fill cap is back on and you've cleaned up any mess, you're ready to ride!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice job Mr.flynn.Very well done

Reactions: Tflynn
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Very nice. Wasn't this on the list of stickies that @Hondasxs was looking for ?

Reactions: Tflynn and Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Very nice. Wasn't this on the list of stickies that @Hondasxs was looking for ?
Yep..
I already contacted him...
But still want to officially give @Tflynn thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haldog77 and Tflynn
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey Tflynn did this oil seem to make any difference from honda oil?

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Great pictures and write-up. Would a %age of Lucas help? Could it hurt?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great pictures and write-up. Would a %age of Lucas help? Could it hurt?
Thank you @SEW!
I haven't used any additives so I can't say for sure but I can't see it hurting anything. I could be wrong but I think @joeymt33 used a Lucas additive.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've used it for 700 miles now. Also, it's still in my old P700 that I sold.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!