Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Your dealer won't rebuild engines?
Then what f***ing good are they?
It's probably not because they can't but it's just not worth it to them.

We would only do them over the winter, jut too time consuming.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's probably not because they can't but it's just not worth it to them.

This is how it is where I work for GM. Rebuilding engines or transmissions is not worth the labor. The warranty coverage works differently as well. A rebuild covers only the parts you installed/used to fix the issue. While a reman/new gets full coverage of the complete unit.

Typically for just a little more than a rebuild and labor you can acquire a reman/new with labor for the swap and have a full coverage/better warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerryg
H

HondaTech

Nope. Wont do an engine swap either. I inquired about both. They will put on a windshield, roof, and back panel for $200 though (that is the price the quoted me when I asked to quote parts). Oil is cheap, im probably going to just keep adding for awhile.

Sounds like a bunch of parts hangers and wanna be techs.

We'd be out of business if we didn't do engine work. I've rebuilt 3 this year alone and multiple more last year. These are the only ones I have pictures of

20230408 160229
20221217 151944
20220726 163343
20220526 170628
20220201 175749

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
They did tell me he was bored and got me in quickly when I called and asked. They sell alot of units as our sales tax is the lowest in the state.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is there a recommended aftermarket manufacturer? I am looking on summit racing and rockymountain atv currently but if you have a link to something that has worked for you let me know. Spent all weekend working on our wildland fire engines and tenders. Its 111, extreme drought, and 20% rh so gotta be ready to roll.

Reactions: Smitty335
M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine is also using alot. No leaks, no white smoke, etc for me. It has the local honda dealer baffled. I am not the only one they have seen like this. 2015 700-4 with 3000 miles on it. Ive been looking at forums. Some guys say a rebuild helped. Some say it didnt. Seems about 50%/50%. Ive done all the required maintenance since new with Honda parts and oil bought at the dealership. I roaded it to the dealer for my oil change this am. Unbeknownst to me it only had 1/16 the required oil in it. Probably lucky I didnt shell it out.
Mine started using A LOT of oil around 3200 miles. Never saw smoke and no leaks. Dealer wanted $1500 for "top end" service, valve job extra. Stumbled on to guy who did it for me and I supplied parts. Like he said, the valve seals suck. I found "racing type" Honda seals (whatever that means) on Ebay. I bought the engine kit on Ebay also, knowing it was Chinese made (aren't they all?). It was about $300+ cheaper than the dealer's price. Changed the oil after 100 miles and going on 300 without using a drop. I would have used a gallon EASY if I didn't have the repair done. My buddy has one a year newer, same problem. He bought the same kit and seals. No more problems. Like the other guy posted, if the job is done correctly there should be no more issues. Honda has a problem that they won't recognize.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

Valve seals don't cause oil loss. Sorry but they don't
Most power equipment engines don't use valve seals and they don't consume oil either.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Valve seals don't cause oil loss. Sorry but they don't
Most power equipment engines don't use valve seals and they don't consume oil either.
What parts do I need to order to fix this issue?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
what’s wrong with it ?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
depends on if cylinder is worn, etc.

hard to provide help unless there is data, torn apart and measured, inspected, etc….

generally can’t go wrong with oem parts

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!