CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What is this helmet you speak of. 🤪
Warmer, quieter, safer and drier. Rode dirt bikes for 50 years so I'm used to 'em. But I'm certainly not 'helmet only' as seen below. :cool:

My first time ever driving a Talon 😍 (or any SxS) at Sand Hollow thanks to @Lil_Steve . In hindsight - DAMN that was an expensive trip. ROFL

CID in Montana giving 'hold my beer' rides -

The HMB course -

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Update: that sound I heard is my front propeller.shaft according to the dealer. Sub Trans seal fixed and new shaft and they will weld the caps.for me. Nice. All warranty.
That's cool that they will weld the caps on the new shaft for you. Sounds like a good outfit. Nevertheless, I would check and see that they do it. You know, trust but verify. 😁

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was just looking around on the RD forum in the UTV section and found this paragraph posted in a Talon thread.....

"Also to the guy above and your front diff seal. if it is the drivers side blowing, the vent is not the problem..The user might be installing the seal backwards (yes that's a thing) or the diff has a machining issue (yes that's a thing too) have him take it to another dealer for inspection (Honda knows about some of this)"

@HondaTech is this a thing? And if so what's the real fix, new diff case? My LF axle seal has started leaking for the second time recently and I know for a fact I installed it properly. So what's the skinny on this? 🤔

Reactions: Squeegee
H

HondaTech

I was just looking around on the RD forum in the UTV section and found this paragraph posted in a Talon thread.....

"Also to the guy above and your front diff seal. if it is the drivers side blowing, the vent is not the problem..The user might be installing the seal backwards (yes that's a thing) or the diff has a machining issue (yes that's a thing too) have him take it to another dealer for inspection (Honda knows about some of this)"

@HondaTech is this a thing? And if so what's the real fix, new diff case? My LF axle seal has started leaking for the second time recently and I know for a fact I installed it properly. So what's the skinny on this? 🤔

I havent heard the machining thing.

They did mention in our service newsletter that if the seal isnt pooling fluid its not "leaking". I think thats their way of saying we're done replacing diff seals.

Last edited:
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
mine leaked and then stopped. prob had something stuck in it for a min.... cant imagine what that could be...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I havent heard the machining thing.

They did mention in our service newsletter that if the seal isnt pooling fluid its not "leaking". I think thats their way of saying we're done replacing diff seals.
My '20 leaked enough to puddle on the trailer, I just noticed my '21 has a good build up of dirt clinging to the oily boot but not enough to drip - same seal, left front. 🙁

Reactions: Boundertom
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It seems to always be the LF. I've replaced one already and now the new one is starting to leak. No puddles just dirt stuck to the seal area at this point but it's still leaking...

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
What is the secret to getting the A arm ball joints to separate from the spindle? I guess I need to use a little more force.

J

Jacknmaggie

Supporting Member
May 22, 2021
Chippewa falls wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went to the auto parts store and got a set they loan out. I tried muscle but gave up. Once I got the right tool it popped right out.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went to the auto parts store and got a set they loan out. I tried muscle but gave up. Once I got the right tool it popped right out.
Thanks, I tried a loaner set from Autozone but I couldn’t get it to pop out with the effort I was using so I quit. Tried tapping the side with a hammer too.

rsbertsch

rsbertsch

Sep 11, 2020
Fort Mohave, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I have had 4 seals replaced on the left side (drivers side) since new on March 2020. None have fixed the problem. With the 4th seal Honda replaced the left side of the Differential Case also. It did not help cause the Damn thing still leaks and leaves splash marks on the firewall. It is really a shame this problem has not yet been resolved. And my One year Honda Warranty expired in March 2021 :(

The Vent Lines have been checked and rechecked. What has not been checked is if the frame tube the vent line goes into actually allows venting.

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have had 4 seals replaced on the left side (drivers side) since new on March 2020. None have fixed the problem. With the 4th seal Honda replaced the left side of the Differential Case also. It did not help cause the Damn thing still leaks and leaves splash marks on the firewall. It is really a shame this problem has not yet been resolved. And my One year Honda Warranty expired in March 2021 :(

The Vent Lines have been checked and rechecked. What has not been checked is if the frame tube the vent line goes into actually allows venting.
Check out the video in the first post in this thread, it shows how to check for vacuum in the vent circuit. It would also show if the frame was vented.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

You just crushed my hopes and dreams of stopping my LF axle seal leak by changing that side of the diff case. I had to change it anyway due to a crash but I was REALLY hoping it was going to fix both problems at the same time.....

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Finally spent some time and got the seal changed out. Not too bad of a job.

A916E0A4 FF07 4FA0 B92B E889416849A7 0205B64C DB3E 496C BF32 3772A3429690 E5FDEBDD 22C4 472D AC4A FE5D42DF5530 ADFC147E B000 49BF 943A 4D13BD7CAED3 1655F8B4 6090 4049 9876 221095F0F963

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
oldbuggy

oldbuggy

Nov 3, 2021
colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
mine is at the dealer as we speak. for this prob. they r fixing under warranty. i saw it at 800 miles.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I replaced the left half of the diff case last week and after a full weekend of racing its still not leaking. 😎

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!