CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think it was PaulF who had heard that the adhesive Honda used to secure the vent line to the nipple in the frame tube was sloppily applied and glued the end of the hose shut. My left front diff seal was leaking and I tried to remove the hose from the nipple and couldn't, it was stuck TIGHT. Since I didn't want the hose falling off unnoticed I left it alone, removed the hose at the diff and hit it with the air hose.

What I think I noticed (impossible to really know), it held pressure for a moment and then started to flow air. Although I still have a slight drip, it has lessened considerably. The unknown now is, did I just loosen the glue debris which is now acting as an intermittent stoppage.

Bottom line for me, I need to extend the vent, replacing the entire hose instead of using a nipple to extend the stock hose.

Reactions: TxDoc
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
But the questions is ....... why is it not venting out of the new vent???
Not sure what you mean, he is testing the factory hose in the video. He removed the stock hose from the front diff and applied vacuum and it held (it should not). That shows that there is a plug somewhere in the vent line and it has been verified MANY times that the plug is at the nipple that goes into the frame (too much glue applied at the factory). Not sure why the dealers are not aware of this, it has been discovered by many owners and unplugging the nipple has proven to slow and even stop seal leaks (both front and rear). Honda just keeps replacing seals, they have even released an "updated" seal and not having the dealers check this simple problem. Mind boggling!!!

Here is how to check it...

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need a little help here. Isn't he hooking up the vacuum line to the ONLY vent line, thus stopping any venting. Not trying to argue about plugged lines, but doesn't that line need to vent to outside and the vac pump would be blocking it? Or are there multiple vent lines? IN order for the vac pressure to drop, wouldn't the air have to enter passed the seals? Just asking, been confused before.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need a little help here. Isn't he hooking up the vacuum line to the ONLY vent line, thus stopping any venting. Not trying to argue about plugged lines, but doesn't that line need to vent to outside and the vac pump would be blocking it? Or are there multiple vent lines? IN order for the vac pressure to drop, wouldn't the air have to enter passed the seals? Just asking, been confused before.
He's hooking up the vacuum pump to the diff end of the vent hose (remove from diff here & #52), it should be open into the frame but it isn't, it's holding vacuum because the vent hose is plugged at the nipple #36. I don't think it's plugged at #52 because that end isn't glued in place, it's held by that small wire clamp.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
then makes sense if just to see if hose open (with other end not hooked up). I did not see that part

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
No. You misunderstand the test. Remove the vent line from the DIFFERENTIAL, not the frame. If you have vacuum at the diff end of the hose, the vent is blocked.

Reactions: CID
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I need to look at this... and work on turning it into a PSA post.
This exact thing happened with the pioneer when we switched to bellows for a short time.

The seal is not "leaking" for say, the oil is being pushed out under pressure. The diff is not designed to hold pressure.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need to look at this... and work on turning it into a PSA post.
This exact thing happened with the pioneer when we switched to bellows for a short time.

The seal is not "leaking" for say, the oil is being pushed out under pressure. The diff is not designed to hold pressure.
I thought bellows were supposed to prevent pressurization?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I thought bellows were supposed to prevent pressurization?
No.
Their intended purpose requires the use of pressure. Positive or negative as there fuctuon is to reduce it... not eliminate it.

We experimented with them on the Pioneers and had results like the Talons are having.
Oil and even seals were being pushed out. Differential oil also seemed to become contaminated more with their use.

I do not recomend bellows over a neutral pressure breather tube.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what you mean, he is testing the factory hose in the video. He removed the stock hose from the front diff and applied vacuum and it held (it should not). That shows that there is a plug somewhere in the vent line and it has been verified MANY times that the plug is at the nipple that goes into the frame (too much glue applied at the factory). Not sure why the dealers are not aware of this, it has been discovered by many owners and unplugging the nipple has proven to slow and even stop seal leaks (both front and rear). Honda just keeps replacing seals, they have even released an "updated" seal and not having the dealers check this simple problem. Mind boggling!!!

Here is how to check it...

View attachment 210584
He stated he took the stock hose and hooked it BACK on. I assumed doing that would have insured it was not plugged by glue???

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
He stated he took the stock hose and hooked it BACK on. I assumed doing that would have insured it was not plugged by glue???
You may want to listen to it again. He hooked the hose back to the fitting in the FRAME, not the diff. The end of the hose where the pump is hooked is the end that goes on the diff. He is pulling vacuum with the hose connected to the nipple inserted in the frame. That plastic nipple on his machine is glued shut and will cause the diff to pressurize when it gets hot.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great information. Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hope this might help someone

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Does that vacuum hose have to be plugged into the frame like that or can it just be looped and tied up high some where?

Reactions: BigOL3
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does that vacuum hose have to be plugged into the frame like that or can it just be looped and tied up high some where?
The stock location (into the frame) is a pretty good location unless you're in a much wetter environment, IMO but many guys extend it to a higher and dryer location.

I took my air compressor, set at 100 pounds, after mine again. That blew the hose off the front frame nipple which let me push a small drill bit (by hand) through the nipple, guaranteeing that it's completely open. I also checked the rear diff vent and it's open. I ride in a pretty dry environment but may extend both vents in the future, if I get bored. I'm not sure if I'll extend the front one up behind the dash or if I'll go higher and run it to the top of the ROPS which is probably overkill for my riding areas. If you ride the Mud Nats, run it as high as possible. :oops:

Talon abuse starts at 22:50

If that wasn't ugly enough for you, here's abuse to the power of 10. :eek:

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The stock location (into the frame) is a pretty good location unless you're in a much wetter environment, IMO but many guys extend it to a higher and dryer location.

I took my air compressor, set at 100 pounds, after mine again. That blew the hose off the front frame nipple which let me push a small drill bit (by hand) through the nipple, guaranteeing that it's completely open. I also checked the rear diff vent and it's open. I ride in a pretty dry environment but may extend both vents in the future, if I get bored. I'm not sure if I'll extend the front one up behind the dash or if I'll go higher and run it to the top of the ROPS which is probably overkill for my riding areas. If you ride the Mud Nats, run it as high as possible. :oops:

Talon abuse starts at 22:50

If that wasn't ugly enough for you, here's abuse to the power of 10. :eek:
Thanks CID, I will do what you did with the drill bit and make sure that line is venting.

Reactions: Tedbell52 and CID
D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am the one who made the video - I was in the midst of running the new vent when I thought, I should video and post my findings to share what I found. So i re-connected the factory vent line to the fitting on the frame, then re-connected the MightyVac to the diff-end of the line.

I have since pulled the fitting off the frame and it was plugged all the way thru with RTV / Silicone. Ran a small allen wrench thru it and it would be good to use now.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am the one who made the video - I was in the midst of running the new vent when I thought, I should video and post my findings to share what I found. So i re-connected the factory vent line to the fitting on the frame, then re-connected the MightyVac to the diff-end of the line.

I have since pulled the fitting off the frame and it was plugged all the way thru with RTV / Silicone. Ran a small allen wrench thru it and it would be good to use now.
Thank you, it was an excellent teaching moment - it explained the problem perfectly. 👍

Reactions: Mudwing and TxDoc
D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you, it was an excellent teaching moment - it explained the problem perfectly. 👍
Well I had multiple people call me out on the thread and via messenger that I was doing it wrong. That I was putting vacuum on the diff, and not on the frame vent.

Thought it was pretty clear, but I will think twice before I post much again lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!