PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well I had multiple people call me out on the thread and via messenger that I was doing it wrong. That I was putting vacuum on the diff, and not on the frame vent.

Thought it was pretty clear, but I will think twice before I post much again lol
Anyone that called you out did not watch the video carefully. You explained what you did and what the problem is perfectly. It is an obvious no-brainer test that you performed and showed everyone what this common problem is.

Keep up the good work and don't let anyone dissuade you!

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DorkMissile
I'm the one who posted your video. I thought it would save a lot of people wasted time end anguish.

I think you did a great job.

I'm sorry if I caused you headaches and heartaches.
Please accept my apologies.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
To me the easiest thing to do (and is how I tested it) is to pull each hose off and blow through it with your mouth. If you can breath through it than it is free and clear. If not then you have a problem. I felt like I might be able to force air through it with a compressor that might seem like it is ok but still not be free flowing since the compressor would have enough power to open it if it was partially plug, where as if I can breath through it then the diff can too.

Reactions: CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I had multiple people call me out on the thread and via messenger that I was doing it wrong. That I was putting vacuum on the diff, and not on the frame vent.

Thought it was pretty clear, but I will think twice before I post much again lol
Names or it didn't happen! HA! We have some here that think they know it all and others, like me that are just plain dangerous to listen to, keep the good posts coming!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

It's the internet, critics will criticize, it's what they do, just so they can feel better about themselves. Paul was right, the video explained exactly what's going on, all you have to do is be conscious when watching. My EX retirement buddy would complain about how they made his banana split - how in the hell do you complain about a 3 scoop ice cream desert? 😳 And that's why he's my EX retirement buddy, ain't nobody got time fer that s***.

D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
I mean when I posted the video on Facebook - people came out of the woodwork asking why I was putting a vacuum on the diff "of course it isn't going to vent", messages about how many diff seals they have gone thru, etc.....

I was like "whoa Drama train, this ain't your stop"

Im a big boy, I dont need to be internet famous, was just trying to help.

Been building fast cars, race snowmobiles, etc... for years. Know the basics of the mechanics of a machine like this, wanted to use a gauge that had a reading so I can see if it did hold a vacuum, how long it would

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I mean when I posted the video on Facebook - people came out of the woodwork asking why I was putting a vacuum on the diff "of course it isn't going to vent", messages about how many diff seals they have gone thru, etc.....

I was like "whoa Drama train, this ain't your stop"

Im a big boy, I dont need to be internet famous, was just trying to help.

Been building fast cars, race snowmobiles, etc... for years. Know the basics of the mechanics of a machine like this, wanted to use a gauge that had a reading so I can see if it did hold a vacuum, how long it would
That is Exactly why i don't post or even look at the FB forums anymore as i once posted a pic of the shear stopper brackets that i mounted on the rear of my R and you would have thought i had posted a pic of me beating a puppy. You could not believe the hate i received over those 2 little brackets.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

Your video was clear to me. My frame vent was plugged so I drilled it out. Thanks for the info. Might of saved me a seal replacement in the future.

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
WTXoffroader

WTXoffroader

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2019
Kermit, TX
Ownership

1. Talon R

2. Talon x4
Just got done checking mine. The front was plugged, the rear seemed to be ok. 03ddd1ff5bbc0c5bb7fc28531e6ecde0

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I went out and checked my 2019 X which does not have any leaking at the axle/diff (1,000 miles) and confirmed the hose and fitting into the frame are open. I also confirmed the frame does not seal pressure. Then I noticed something different on mine versus the original poster's video. The pic below shows a hole in the frame tube slightly above and about 180 degrees from the vent line input. I notice on the original poster's video there is a cable clamp inserted into that hole. Not sure what the cable is on the other machine and why mine does not have this, but this hole easily allows the diff to vent. Just thought I'd post up the difference.

Vent LI

D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I went out and checked my 2019 X which does not have any leaking at the axle/diff (1,000 miles) and confirmed the hose and fitting into the frame are open. I also confirmed the frame does not seal pressure. Then I noticed something different on mine versus the original poster's video. The pic below shows a hole in the frame tube slightly above and about 180 degrees from the vent line input. I notice on the original poster's video there is a cable clamp inserted into that hole. Not sure what the cable is on the other machine and why mine does not have this, but this hole easily allows the diff to vent. Just thought I'd post up the difference.

Mine is a LiveValve 1000R, that wire tie is for the harness going to the shock

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I pulled my front diff vent line off today. It's not clogged at either end. I was able to blow air through it. I put a needle into the port on the diff, and it is open. Mine is a 2020, so maybe Honda is doing things differently, or maybe I got lucky. I also have that "hole" in the frame rail for the air to vent.

Tedbell52

Tedbell52

Jun 19, 2019
Hulapai, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a latter built 2020 R, my front vent was clear fyi. I thought about just pulling the tube out and tying it to a frame member with the end being open. But then I thought; could oil then drip all over the front compartment if it landed on the roof.

Then I thought; what about a cheap fuel filter put on the end of the tube. This would allow the vent to breathe and pretty much keep any water intrusion out and should stop oil from leaking out too on a very rare chance of the R landing on its roof. But I just put it back stock knowing I did not have that problem.

Reactions: IDIOT
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled my front diff vent line off today. It's not clogged at either end. I was able to blow air through it. I put a needle into the port on the diff, and it is open. Mine is a 2020, so maybe Honda is doing things differently, or maybe I got lucky. I also have that "hole" in the frame rail for the air to vent.
A note: virtually all roll cages have 'vent to atmosphere' holes drilled in them somewhere. If they didn't, welding them would blow a hole in the weld puddle when you tried to finish the last weld because of the rapidly expanding, heated air trapped inside. Those holes might be strategically positioned inside the joint but all trapped air passages will eventually have a hole escaping to atmosphere 'somewhere'. They're easy to find on many motorcycles, the bottom frame rails have holes in 'em.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a latter built 2020 R, my front vent was clear fyi. I thought about just pulling the tube out and tying it to a frame member with the end being open. But then I thought; could oil then drip all over the front compartment if it landed on the roof.

Then I thought; what about a cheap fuel filter put on the end of the tube. This would allow the vent to breathe and pretty much keep any water intrusion out and should stop oil from leaking out too on a very rare chance of the R landing on its roof. But I just put it back stock knowing I did not have that problem.
Or you could add a check valve to the tube. I agree, keeping it the stock way, assuming your not going to go through 3-4' water/mud holes, should be fine. I checked my rear diff last night. Both ends of the tube were open and the port to the diff was clear. The rear one doesn't seem to go up that high. I may buy some line and re-route that one up by the air filter. I'll loop the last part down so water can't get in.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!