Frontier tool boxes??

J

JTW

I like the Husky it’s a solid box, I have most of the drawers @50-75% loaded. I have a Milwaukee as well and there’s no difference in quality but there’s a 30% premium on the name and color. The slides are sturdy.

Snuffs BIG HF toolbox is really nice, easily just as solid. Much heavier and solid than I would’ve ever thought from a HF box. I’m not down on all the names of brands but I did not think it was HF, I figured he spent a good bit of money on it it was so heavily made. I’ll probably pick up a couple HF to use in my future shop.
I’m goig to have to check them out too... I have a welding cart from HF that’s rally nice and smooth.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Actually the HF tool boxes are pretty nice and a good price. There was a magazine comparison to a snap on a while back and was pretty much equivalent on metal thickness, slides, wheels, etc.
I’ll check them out next time I’m by a store... I’m in no hurry I just saw these and thought they were a good price. But seeing other options and knowing they’re not a steal I’ll shop around a bit. I hadn’t thought of HF

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
have that husky one too, only complaint ive had is when you have a bunch of heavy crap in it the drawers are a little hard to open, but I figure they all are with that style hinge. they have deals on black fri I got it a couple years ago for 5-600. sometimes sears will have some decent deals then too, I had a few of the nicer ones, but you kinda got to go check it out they have some cheap crap that didn't seem like it would last too

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hit up FB marketplace and CL in your area. Buy a used snap-on or other high end brand. There really is no comparison.
If you find a box you like, let me know the model number, and I will check with some of the dealers I know for trade-ins.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks @JTW for starting this thread. I too am looking to consolidate my 2 Craftsman boxes.
My son has a HF box that he raves about. CHRISTMAS IS COMING UP!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look hard at organizing your current toolbox.
Get rid of the space wasters. If you have wrenches in a blow molded case, ditch the case and use a different style holder to replace.
Pliers are a big space waster as well. Grab a few plier racks from Amazon and throw them in a drawer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SA23E80/?tag=sxsweb24-20
I have 2 decent size Snap-on boxes, as well as 2 lockers. If there was one thing I wish I had, it would be more shallow drawers.

J

JTW

Look hard at organizing your current toolbox.
Get rid of the space wasters. If you have wrenches in a blow molded case, ditch the case and use a different style holder to replace.
Pliers are a big space waster as well. Grab a few plier racks from Amazon and throw them in a drawer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SA23E80/?tag=sxsweb24-20
I have 2 decent size Snap-on boxes, as well as 2 lockers. If there was one thing I wish I had, it would be more shallow drawers.
I thought all that s*** was supposed to go in one drawer?

Reactions: Tigermark and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spend $100 trying to improve your current toolbox. Unless welds are failing and slides suck. Then no matter how much you organize, it won't help.

advertisement
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been an all trade mechanic for over 30 years. Used a lot of boxes. I own Craftsman, snap on, kobalt, and others.

Most of the guys in the shop have the Harbor Freight boxes and they have held up well. They spend the rest of their money on guns, beer and more guns, beer.

One thing a box has to have for me is depth. Some of the cheaper boxes are narrow and not very deep front to back.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spend $100 trying to improve your current toolbox. Unless welds are failing and slides suck. Then no matter how much you organize, it won't help.

I agree. Nothing beats being organized. If you can't find a tool you're wasting time. I really like the Snap-on and Kobalt wrench rails. Hansen socket trays are great as well. For pliers I prefer them standing up as opposed to being in a pile in a drawer.

Being organized is great. My wife borrowed a screw driver this week and the very first time I went out in the garage, I knew it was gone. She recovered from the kids toys room.

FB IMG 1542767560494

The Snap-on rails keep the wrenches closer together for small sets and the Kobalt rails lay them a bit flatter for taller wrenches in big sets
IMG 20180721 201252

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Nothing beats being organized. If you can't find a tool you're wasting time. I really like the Snap-on and Kobalt wrench rails. Hansen socket trays are great as well. For pliers I prefer them standing up as opposed to being in a pile in a drawer.

Being organized is great. My wife borrowed a screw driver this week and the very first time I went out in the garage, I knew it was gone. She recovered from the kids toys room.

View attachment 96370

The Snap-on rails keep the wrenches closer together for small sets and the Kobalt rails lay them a bit flatter for taller wrenches in big sets
View attachment 96371
I really like the idea of the Hanson style socket holders. Snap on has the exclusive rights to the 3 row holders right now. Shallow/Semi-deep/Deep.

But they are still spaced far apart and waste space. My socket drawer has lots of room for expansion, so right now it isn't a giant concern.

Reactions: ToddACimer
Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They didn’t seem bad.. I don’t think they were ball bearings but regular rollers.
Sometimes the regular rollers are better, especially in cold weather. The ball bearing ones can get very stiff, enough so that the plastic guides that hold the bearings in break. BUT, if you've got a warm shop......

Reactions: JTW
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
looks nice , u tell santa which one you wanted. looks like lot of room and i made sure to get on mine the spot on top like that, gets the cords and battery chargers. always was loosing that stuff before. tools dont run that well without the battery

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!