Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
If you ever go riding in the southwest where the trails system are over 2000 miles, cover in excess of 3 million acres in the remote mountains, you dang sure want to know how far out you can go before you have to come back, even if packing extra fuel.
we rode 146.7 miles saturday and had 2 bars left filled up 6.23 gal to ride back this morning most was high speed desert running with a bit of off the beaten path climbing.Twin falls idaho to jackpot nevada and back.We now have close to 500 miles total 1st response to this post was 20 mpg this trip seems to be 23 mpg

Reactions: IDIOT
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Okay, made my desert run today...
Talon speedometer 189.7 miles, GPS recorded 192.5 miles
Fuel used 11.2 gal. which figures out 16.9 mpg talon or 17.2 mpg by the GPS.
Not what i was hoping for. I was looking for 20 MPG or better.
This is with a light load on 30 X 10 R15 tires running at speeds of 45 to 55 mph when I could.
Lots of sand and good hard pack roads.
The best I can figure is a 1.7 mph difference between the talon speedometer and the GPS.
With the 1.7 plus speed by the GPS.
I only have 335 miles on my Talon at this point. I did the 15 mile break-in per the owners manual.
And did the first service at 102 miles. Running Honda oil and Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil in the differentials.

Hope with a few more miles the fuel mileage will improve a little....DRK

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
Okay, made my desert run today...
Talon speedometer 189.7 miles, GPS recorded 192.5 miles
Fuel used 11.2 gal. which figures out 16.9 mpg talon or 17.2 mpg by the GPS.
Not what i was hoping for. I was looking for 20 MPG or better.
This is with a light load on 30 X 10 R15 tires running at speeds of 45 to 55 mph when I could.
Lots of sand and good hard pack roads.
The best I can figure is a 1.7 mph difference between the talon speedometer and the GPS.
With the 1.7 plus speed by the GPS.
I only have 335 miles on my Talon at this point. I did the 15 mile break-in per the owners manual.
And did the first service at 102 miles. Running Honda oil and Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil in the differentials.

Hope with a few more miles the fuel mileage will improve a little....DRK
Im running stock tires so that could make a difference.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm getting 22mpg consistently with all types of riding .

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
In deep sand I get around 18 and on hard pack even with some slow stuff I get up to 26 mpg. I getting close to 4,000 miles on my Talon R. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm running 28's or 30's.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
In deep sand I get around 18 and on hard pack even with some slow stuff I get up to 26 mpg. I getting close to 4,000 miles on my Talon R. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm running 28's or 30's.

Hondabob, I wish I could say the same. My X was running 16.3 to a high of 17.4 mpg prior to today's run.
I am a volunteer with the ADGF and work four different mountain ranges checking water levels in the game tanks.
Today one of my shorter runs at 121.8 miles and I burned 8.4 gal of fuel, that figures out to 14.5 mpg. During the ride I never exceeded 50 mph but tried to maintain a good pace to beat the heat of the day. Luckily had a cloud cover and never exceeded 100 degrees on my run.
The run had a combination of open desert roads, rocky rough roads and some rock crawling at a slow pace.
I am at 887 miles and 42.1 hrs and was hoping as the miles increased, maybe it would break in and do better. But 14.5 mpg is not at all at what I was expecting.
Guess I need to come up to the high country with you where its cooler and see if that will help....
Maybe you and the Quadzmoto can put together a good ride for me....DRK

I will carry enough gas so I will be able to make it back, so you won't have to drag me back..

Reactions: CumminsPusher
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hondabob, I wish I could say the same. My X was running 16.3 to a high of 17.4 mpg prior to today's run.
I am a volunteer with the ADGF and work four different mountain ranges checking water levels in the game tanks.
Today one of my shorter runs at 121.8 miles and I burned 8.4 gal of fuel, that figures out to 14.5 mpg. During the ride I never exceeded 50 mph but tried to maintain a good pace to beat the heat of the day. Luckily had a cloud cover and never exceeded 100 degrees on my run.
The run had a combination of open desert roads, rocky rough roads and some rock crawling at a slow pace.
I am at 887 miles and 42.1 hrs and was hoping as the miles increased, maybe it would break in and do better. But 14.5 mpg is not at all at what I was expecting.
Guess I need to come up to the high country with you where its cooler and see if that will help....

I will carry enough gas so I will be able to make it back, so you won't have to drag me back..
With a 7.3 main and a 1.1 reserve on the Talon you were bone dry . Something must be wrong with yours . My absolute worse has been 19 mpg and that was with a lot of 75mph with the windshield closed .

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
With a 7.3 main and a 1.1 reserve on the Talon you were bone dry . Something must be wrong with yours . My absolute worse has been 19 mpg and that was with a lot of 75mph with the windshield closed .

Huck, I just figured it out. Your ownership say's your only running a 500, mines a 1000...LOL

All kidding aside, my Talon starts and runs great. I have followed it and see no black smoke to indicate running rich.
I am not overly aggressive on the throttle but I don't baby it either.
I also have a full windshield and the speedometer will read 74/75 at full throttle and 77 mph by the GPS.
So at this point not sure why...DRK

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Do a test without the windshield. At 30 and above that is a lot of drag.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
TALON WND SIDE VIEW
Huck, I just figured it out. Your ownership say's your only running a 500, mines a 1000...LOL

All kidding aside, my Talon starts and runs great. I have followed it and see no black smoke to indicate running rich.
I am not overly aggressive on the throttle but I don't baby it either.
I also have a full windshield and the speedometer will read 74/75 at full throttle and 77 mph by the GPS.
So at this point not sure why...DRK
Yeah it sure doesn't add up . My lil Pioneer 500 running hard gets 22-25

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Obviously mileage depends on driver and terrain. If you’re not grandpa on a dirt road but hitting heavy trails hard you probably won’t see 28-30 mpg.
On trails we get between 12-14 per gallon in Pioneer 1000. Dirt roads see about 22. Big difference. Sometimes just looking at someone’s tires can tell the mileage they get lol.

Reactions: pct
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

I thought that 7.3 gal is the tank capacity no reserve actually just last segment of gauge flashes per the manual. Don't know why they would even call it a reserve. I would love to be wrong and have 1.1 more gal but I don't think so.

Last week in sand and a lot of shifting I got 16.5. I was not running like an old grandpa. Enjoy shifting the transmission and acceleration.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
The full windshield had no noticeable effect on fuel mileage on my RZR

But I think I just figured out what the problem was on my 14.5 mpg, don't have a picture to send..
Seems the the last two long distance runs in our beautiful and dusty Arizona desert overwhelmed the air cleaner.
It is so covered with dust, you can not see any of the green pleats.
Should have a new filter Friday.

Sure hope SP particle separator get's their unit out for The Talon soon.
Honda wasn't paying much attention to the air filter area when they designed it.
In a couple of years they will probably address the problem.
I am also going to replace the stock filter with the RC2 cleanable filter when it hits the market...DRK

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
The full windshield had no noticeable effect on fuel mileage on my RZR

But I think I just figured out what the problem was on my 14.5 mpg, don't have a picture to send..
Seems the the last two long distance runs in our beautiful and dusty Arizona desert overwhelmed the air cleaner.
It is so covered with dust, you can not see any of the green pleats.
Should have a new filter Friday.

Sure hope SP particle separator get's their unit out for The Talon soon.
Honda wasn't paying much attention to the air filter area when they designed it.
In a couple of years they will probably address the problem.
I am also going to replace the stock filter with the RC2 cleanable filter when it hits the market...DRK

Install a pre filter . There are many different ways to do it .

G

GrayStillPlays

Jun 15, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Getting about 20-22mpg here fairly casual trail riding in sugar sand and mud. Stock tires and carrying about 400lbs of people and gear in my 1000R. Just a half windshield up front.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Put 250 miles on mine last week at the 7000 to 9000 foot level. Temps from high 70's to mid 80's. 4 days and filled up after each trip to check (probably not too accurate because the trips were between 25 and 50 miles each) but my mileage varies greatly depending on how and where I drove. Casual putting around 35 MPH mixed dirt asphalt roads I am getting about 21. Foot to the floor straightaways and slowing WAY down on turns to avoid collisions on blind corners then back on the gas, I am getting about 12, UGH!!!

It looks like the way I drove was making the biggest difference in the mileage but I don't really care, I am out to have as much fun as I can.

Needless to say, the 12 mpg is MUCH funner than the 21 mpg :)

Reactions: HUCK
terratrooper

terratrooper

Jul 7, 2020
Adrian PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey guys, I just ordered two of these for some peace of mind for a trip to Colorado next month. They are each 1.5 gallons and they currently have a promotion which includes mounts and a spare can for water. Ive used square Rotopax before but the Rollpax is new to me.

61188613390  1DB9BCAA A945 4482 9353 5291925681E5 2

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Late to the party but being an explorer and bought the Talon for the desert, mileage does matter to me. I've had mileage checks of 18.4, 19.4, 20.0 :cool: and 12.28. :oops:

The good mileages were on these roads, mostly in high range.
I XZqvfwx L

The 12.28 was on these, almost all in low range.
I 48gx9S8 L

Reactions: TripleB
G

Greeny

Sep 4, 2019
Colville Wa 99114
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have 4,500 miles on my Talon when riding in high gear around 20 MPG did a 70 mile ride in low 4wd most of the trip 14 MPG.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!