Talon Fuel mileage on Talon yet?

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hondabob, I wish I could say the same. My X was running 16.3 to a high of 17.4 mpg prior to today's run.
I am a volunteer with the ADGF and work four different mountain ranges checking water levels in the game tanks.
Today one of my shorter runs at 121.8 miles and I burned 8.4 gal of fuel, that figures out to 14.5 mpg. During the ride I never exceeded 50 mph but tried to maintain a good pace to beat the heat of the day. Luckily had a cloud cover and never exceeded 100 degrees on my run.
The run had a combination of open desert roads, rocky rough roads and some rock crawling at a slow pace.
I am at 887 miles and 42.1 hrs and was hoping as the miles increased, maybe it would break in and do better. But 14.5 mpg is not at all at what I was expecting.
Guess I need to come up to the high country with you where its cooler and see if that will help....
Maybe you and the Quadzmoto can put together a good ride for me....DRK

I will carry enough gas so I will be able to make it back, so you won't have to drag me back..
I sent you a PM

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I can't see how anyone has bought a toy (specially the Talon).. and worried or was concerned about fuel mileage.. haha
Lol, that’s good. But some people probably just want to know how far they can go before running out of fuel and walking out. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DRKnight
hondablimp

hondablimp

Feb 1, 2020
MN
Ownership

1. Talon X
I get 15 mpg in the sand and close to 19 on hard pack, so I use 105 miles as my range to be safe , I do carry a 2 gal can with, sometimes more depending on where im riding. I refill at the pump so I thinks its pretty accurate.

Reactions: CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Didn't get a PM today, but good conditions should be in the low 20's. Sand, rock crawling, or lots of hard throttle can be 15 to 17 mpg. I'm usually going fast in 5th and 6th gear on my long 100 + mile rides and get around 22 mpg. It doesn't matter if I driving my 2019 or 202 Talon.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Didn't get a PM today, but good conditions should be in the low 20's. Sand, rock crawling, or lots of hard throttle can be 15 to 17 mpg. I'm usually going fast in 5th and 6th gear on my long 100 + mile rides and get around 22 mpg. It doesn't matter if I driving my 2019 or 202 Talon.
Stock tire sizes on both? If not, speedo correction or GPS mileage?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both with 30's and speedo mileage so its slightly better.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I typically use 100 miles a day as my benchmark. I have yet to not be able to get at least 100 miles out of a tank of pure offroading with 30" tires. That is in the Tennessee area mostly. My driving style is skin peddle on the floor out of a corner and slow down for technical spots then back on the skinny peddle till the next obstacle. So I would say I am not the most fuel efficient rider out there....but fun/adrenaline factor is High! 🤪

• Wow
hondablimp

hondablimp

Feb 1, 2020
MN
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine has stock tires, speedo miles are within a few tenths of the Polaris command app after a ride. If that can be trusted.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!