Talon fuel octane

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
this is my 1st Honda. The manual recommends 87 octane. Does the Talon run better on 87 or 91? Some units if tuned for 87, they runs worse on 91, especially at altitude

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I try to run at least 91. I recommend you never run anything with ethanol. Most of the time I run basic aviation fuel which is called 100LL "100 octane low lead" . It runs better and starts better especially in winter. But good 91 fuel would be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The higher the octane number, the less power available in it. If the compression ratio demands higher, you have no choice. Also, Ethanol contains less power per unit of fuel (straight alcohol contains 30% less power than straight gasoline). But more importantly, ethanol fuel does not store well for long periods. It attracts water and allows growth of undesireable.
So, imo, 87 with ethanol is fine for our moderate compression Honda engines, but if left in the tank for months it would be crap. If there is non-ethanol available it is always preferred, but running ethanol enhanced fuel is fine if managed correctly. Don't use ethanol fuel for the last three or so fillups before extended storage. Do treat last fuel fillup with storage treatment products such as Stabil or Star Tron.
Consult your owners manual.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I guess my question is "does the Talon have high enough compression to NEED 91?" I agree ethenal is not good for stored vehicles as draws moisture.

Reactions: Bandman
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda says 86 octane or higher.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I try to run at least 91. I recommend you never run anything with ethanol. Most of the time I run basic aviation fuel which is called 100LL "100 octane low lead" . It runs better and starts better especially in winter. But good 91 fuel would be just fine.

Leaded fuel will ruin your Cat converter just like it would in a car. As what was mentioned,, a higher octane will reduce power compared to 87 if there is a lower compression in the engine.

Reactions: sharp
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am not so sure about less power with 91 octane. I do know that higher octane gas burns slower and to stay away from ethanol gas. Ethanol gas does get less fuel mileage than non ethanol. We run 93 octane non ethanol in zero turn, chain saws, weed eater, push mower and Pioneer.

G

Governors20

Jun 16, 2019
Usa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Some of you need to understand the difference between octane and BTU. Alcohol has 100 octane but less BTU’s which is why you burn more. Octane is resistance to ignition. 93 and 87 octane have the same BTU. 91 is harder to ignite which is why it’s used in higher compression engines.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The higher the octane number, the less power available in it. If the compression ratio demands higher, you have no choice. Also, Ethanol contains less power per unit of fuel (straight alcohol contains 30% less power than straight gasoline). But more importantly, ethanol fuel does not store well for long periods. It attracts water and allows growth of undesireable.
So, imo, 87 with ethanol is fine for our moderate compression Honda engines, but if left in the tank for months it would be crap. If there is non-ethanol available it is always preferred, but running ethanol enhanced fuel is fine if managed correctly. Don't use ethanol fuel for the last three or so fillups before extended storage. Do treat last fuel fillup with storage treatment products such as Stabil or Star Tron.
Consult your owners manual.

EXACTLY right, JimmyTalon. Well stated. I cannot tell you how many times I've tried to explain this to people who refuse to abandon their erroneous perception that higher octane = more power.

Steve

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
EXACTLY right, JimmyTalon. Well stated. I cannot tell you how many times I've tried to explain this to people who refuse to abandon their erroneous perception that higher octane = more power.

Steve

Want more power? Add a couple of kits of nitrous or you could try running nitromethane.

Reactions: Mopower58
PS3471

PS3471

Jun 11, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R

Steve

Higher octane (slower burn, harder to ignight) on a low to mid compression engine will allow you to run more advanced timing (if not already maxed out) because it is less likely to cause detination..... so in a round about way you can squeeze out more..... but not simply from adding race gas in the tank. Like you said, its very difficult to convince some people of this.

Reactions: stellarpod
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You're right it's not more power. Putting jet fuel in a lawn mower is not going to turn it into a pulling tractor.

But I think it's fair to say higher octane fuel does have its benefits. It burns cooler, stores longer, avoids all the ethanol issues and higher octane rating leads to a higher quality cleaner burning fuel. My machine runs a little better and definitely starts easier, especially in winter, with the better fuel. It has a lot of fringe benefits but no real major benefits in our world of sxs's

Reactions: Mopower58

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!