P1000 Full synthetic oil

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those of you using full synthetic oil, are you having good luck with it, does your engine run cooler and quieter? I've used Amsoil 0w40 in all of my atv' and utv's with excellent service and I'm planning on using it in my next oil change at 1000 mi or so, unless I hear some bad experiences.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I think there are several guys on the forum running it. Hopefully they will chime in.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Those of you using full synthetic oil, are you having good luck with it, does your engine run cooler and quieter? I've used Amsoil 0w40 in all of my atv' and utv's with excellent service and I'm planning on using it in my next oil change at 1000 mi or so, unless I hear some bad experiences.
I'm using amsoil 10w 40 and have had good luck. I have done two oil changes now and getting ready for 3 and I think it helped quite things down some.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I think there are several guys on the forum running it. Hopefully they will chime in.
I've been holding off with my first oil change on the beast but I'm saying screw it. I'm not believing it's the oil that caused problems there just isn't evidence supporting it. It's been awhile since clutch issues. I've always ran t6 in everything with very good luck. I'll be switching this weekend. I'd say wish me luck but I'm over it. I'll talk more with my warrentee guy tomorrow and get the whole skinny he said no on synthetic because of the clutch issues but I'm just not buying it. I've heard two people say Honda didn't seem bothered by syn. We have too many machines to take care of for one to be different. Even the Rekluse in my bike requires Rotella and that's a specialized auto clutch. It's time.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was unsure prior to my first change and did a good bit of research. I ended up using HP4S at first fluid change, Honda's synthetic... I used it due to it being rated by Honda specifically for wet clutches. It meets all requirements per the manual and Honda. It didn't make too big of a difference in noise-- if any-- as I was intentionally being mentally aware of a possible placebo effect, but Mobil 1 4T 10w40 in the sub trans and RP 75-140 in the diff's 100 miles later did make a difference in terms of quieting the unit down. I believe the RP made the biggest difference in minimizing gear whine.
I'm not sure the question is Syn vs Dino, but rather is it meeting Honda's rating for wet clutches or not. Even Dino rated improperly would adversely effect the clutches from my understanding/research. However, I can only speak from using HP4S, and it does well. I've yet to go above 2 bars on the temp gauge -- I also have pulled a loaded 6x12 trailer multiple times and also reversed this trailer. No issues over here with the syn. Clutch hooks up instantly.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Did you find out if warrentee will still cover. I was told it wouldn't be I'm not thinking that was correct. That's been my only issue for awhile I'd already be running syn if I new it was covered I'd like to see the writing either way. @HondaTech do you know either way on synthetic as far as warrantee?

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinSC
Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you find out if warrentee will still cover. I was told it wouldn't be I'm not thinking that was correct. That's been my only issue for awhile I'd already be running syn if I new it was covered I'd like to see the writing either way
I asked my dealer about using Amsoil 0w40 when I picked up my machine and he said no problem, he seemed to be familiar with the oil. I am interested in the use of Rotella t6 as I've used it for years in my diesel trucks and tractor, have it on hand and its a lot cheaper than Amsoil, but I have the Amsoil on hand too so I think I'll go with that for awhile. Did you mention Rotella t6 to your dealer? I can understand his reluctance if he was not familier with the diesel oil use in wet clutches.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you find out if warrentee will still cover. I was told it wouldn't be I'm not thinking that was correct. That's been my only issue for awhile I'd already be running syn if I new it was covered I'd like to see the writing either way. @HondaTech do you know either way on synthetic as far as warrantee?
From my understanding, if you provide the JASO and MA ratings required by Honda to run in these units to your dealer, they cannot deny anything warranty related as you followed the owner's manual and Honda's requirements. I know HP4S follows every guideline as well as is recommended for this unit on their Honda oil website. The one they will not cover is the Syn they make with moly added to it as it specifically states do not use in wet clutch systems.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I asked my dealer about using Amsoil 0w40 when I picked up my machine and he said no problem, he seemed to be familiar with the oil. I am interested in the use of Rotella t6 as I've used it for years in my diesel trucks and tractor, have it on hand and its a lot cheaper than Amsoil, but I have the Amsoil on hand too so I think I'll go with that for awhile. Did you mention Rotella t6 to your dealer? I can understand his reluctance if he was not familier with the diesel oil use in wet clutches.
No he said any syn. I've had very good luck with t6 and I know I'll get flack for using it but it's not just "diesel oil" it's got lots of good additives but most importantly for us it's available anywhere. Until the p1k we used it in everything it makes it so much easier as I do maintenance for others up camping and even if I didn't believe in it it's still fresh oil and things get changed more frequently if we use it. Last weekend alone I went almost 200 miles and haven't done first change. I should have switched then. But enough about Rotella I just would like to know in general. My warrentee writer,lead mechanic,and salesman said any high grade non-syn oil was ok. Is that true??? They told you different, other people? Was I lied too?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
From my understanding, if you provide the JASO and MA ratings required by Honda to run in these units to your dealer, they cannot deny anything warranty related as you followed the owner's manual and Honda's requirements. I know HP4S follows every guideline as well as is recommended for this unit on their Honda oil website. The one they will not cover is the Syn they make with moly added to it as it specifically states do not use in wet clutch systems.
Thanks @500 that's what I wanted.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That being said, a dick head dealer can deny anything he wants to by simply saying "I believe this has been in water, abused, etc.," but he should not deny solely due to running a correctly approved JASO rated and MA rated oil recommended by Honda.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Note under MUV post 2007 HP4S is recommended, but the syn with MOLY is not recommended.

Attachments

• AAA.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 424
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That being said, a dick head dealer can deny anything he wants to by simply saying "I believe this has been in water, abused, etc.," but he should not deny solely due to running a correctly approved JASO rated and MA rated oil recommended by Honda.
Ya well you know I've been there! I'm just so leery now. Aren't too many of us here that can afford to rebuild this motor

Reactions: 500
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@500 you're on top of it thanks again:)

Reactions: 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@500 you're on top of it thanks again:)
No problem, I am just going by Honda's guidance. I don't personally pretend to know for sure what a dealer will or will not do, nor what Honda would do -- I just simply follow what they recommend and hope if I have an issue they will honor what is said in their manual and on their Honda Pro Oil website.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just changed to Amsoil metric 10w30 in my 1000 and it made a world of difference. The shift solenoid is quieter and the shifts themselves are not abrupt. As long as you use the recommended API certified oil they can not deny warranty. Ask the dealer who said no to synthetic to put that in writing and i'll show you a legal team that will be all over it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just changed to Amsoil metric 10w30 in my 1000 and it made a world of difference. The shift solenoid is quieter and the shifts themselves are not abrupt. As long as you use the recommended API certified oil they can not deny warranty. Ask the dealer who said no to synthetic to put that in writing and i'll show you a legal team that will be all over it.
I need oil change bad this weekend so I'll be all over them today! I hate having the wrong information!! I've been thinking about it for awhile and syn isn't taking out clutches it's obvious

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't ran synthetic oil in anything yet that didn't run smoother quitter and cooler. Seems like your dealer has a fobea against syn oil or a lack of experience.

Reactions: Rosscodude
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I haven't ran synthetic oil in anything yet that didn't run smoother quitter and cooler. Seems like your dealer has a fobea against syn oil or a lack of experience.
I use it in everything including my rotaries with zero issues.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I use it in everything including my rotaries with zero issues.
Me too. Off topic but rotaries are the only thing I haven't played with. A buddy years back had a 79 rx with twin 13b turbos it was so much fun. Rated 565 rear tire with a 13k redline. Kicked the crap out of my 426 wedge Mopar always been impressed!