Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Me too. Off topic but rotaries are the only thing I haven't played with. A buddy years back had a 79 rx with twin 13b turbos it was so much fun. Rated 565 rear tire with a 13k redline. Kicked the crap out of my 426 wedge Mopar always been impressed!
It had to of had some other twin setup on it to make that power. Factory twins will only breathe enough to make around 375-380whp on a good setup. With that redline it was a well balanced engine. What type of fuel setup did it have? Meth/gas, straight meth, or race fuel?

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher are you concerned about the 5w-40 weight vs the recommended 10w-30? I couldn't see if the T6 has molybdenum which would make not good for the clutches.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those of you using full synthetic oil, are you having good luck with it, does your engine run cooler and quieter? I've used Amsoil 0w40 in all of my atv' and utv's with excellent service and I'm planning on using it in my next oil change at 1000 mi or so, unless I hear some bad experiences.

Been using Honda HP4S since first service,back in Nov of 15. I ran Amsoil 0w40 in my 700 but thought i'd keep with full synthetic "Honda" oil for the 1000. Nothing says you cant use synthetic. And I have a hard time beliveing Honda will argue any engine failure or "clutch" failure was a result of using THEIR oil!!

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher are you concerned about the 5w-40 weight vs the recommended 10w-30? I couldn't see if the T6 has molybdenum which would make not good for the clutches.
Definitely not. Especially in the summer I think many of the shops bump up their grade anyways. I know mine is running heavier grade Yamalube by the barrel in everything. They won't even use Honda. I'm not going to tell anyone to use this but damn I love how it is in mine. I haven't had time today to check with my warranty guy I will tomorrow for sure but it's all I had at let's say "slightly over" that 100 mark and I'm not wanting to go back. It's huge! Clicks have almost totally gone away and it shifts nice. I mean nice!!! It's way better at 450 then my last at 4 times that. I wasn't going to do it yet but...I would have called bs but it's true.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No he said any syn. I've had very good luck with t6 and I know I'll get flack for using it but it's not just "diesel oil" it's got lots of good additives but most importantly for us it's available anywhere. Until the p1k we used it in everything it makes it so much easier as I do maintenance for others up camping and even if I didn't believe in it it's still fresh oil and things get changed more frequently if we use it. Last weekend alone I went almost 200 miles and haven't done first change. I should have switched then. But enough about Rotella I just would like to know in general. My warrentee writer,lead mechanic,and salesman said any high grade non-syn oil was ok. Is that true??? They told you different, other people? Was I lied too?

Honda recommends a API classification of SG or higher, do not use oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving.
- Viscosity (weight) SAE 10W-30. Other approved colder weather areas can use 5W-30, or 0W-30
- JASO T 903 standard - MA
- Suggested oil - Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or Honda 4-stroke oils or and equivalent 4-stroke motorcycle oil.

Rotella T6 - meets JASO T 903 standard - MA & API classification SM
Datasheet proof below
http://www.euris.rs/maziva/Rotela-T6.pdf

Here is a virgin sample oil test of Rotella T6 5-W40 by Blackstone labs. Moly was listed as 63 ppm with Zinc and the predominate anti-wear additive.
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 | Virgin Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Voa Rotella5W 40T6

All that being said, my experience left me cautious of it and I run Honda GN4 due to the wet clutch. It isn't the oil per sea but the molybdenum content additive, wet clutches prefer under 50 ppm of moly in their oil many synthetics range from 200 to as high as 800 ppm of moly. Be your own judge, its only money and down time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@JACKAL i know you were using it as you trust it well also. You were the reason I was leery of it and after talking originally with my shop they advised me NOT to run synthetic so I gave up. We have had excellent luck with t6 in everything (other then Polaris or Can-am:)) and have it readily available all the time. I over extended my mileage and at that point I believe any oil is better but I'm just not buying the fact that synthetic is doing any damage to the clutches anymore there is nothing to support that as well as the cases have greatly diminished meaning to me it was a manufacturing error. I think fresh oil in general is a good thing and without a doubt the rig feels better in all aspects. If it's "legal" to run I'm going to continue use. All the jitter is gone,smooth very solid shifts,seems to grab better even if you are in high when you shouldn't be(watch one of our last weekends videos on the hill btw oops) and clicks are all but gone. Even the engine is super smooth and quiet. I'm amazed. I waited almost a year between the two pioneers because of everything. I'm not suggesting other then gn4 but it sure feels good. I know even the specialized 800$ auto wet clutch in my bike (that was installed in 07 with 12k miles requires Rotella for warranty that's what turned me on originally.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've got over 500K trouble free miles using Rotella T6 in 3 vehicles but none of them have a wet clutch, that is the difference. The engine doesn't care but the clutches and all that electronic sensor wizardry involved in controlling the clutches just might or does.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Let me ask you this though honestly had you not had a problem would you still be running t6?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Let me ask you this though honestly had you not had a problem would you still be running t6?
Yes I would, ran it in 2 Honda Rincons (original 630 then a newer 680 version like P700) for a combined 9 years and over 10K miles without issue, only had to let it warm up properly then everything was golden.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok fair enough. Damn. It's a hard one for me to give up! I hate it. Well cross your fingers for me we're about to find out how long term is I'm just not letting go of it yet. I will start changing at the recommendations though.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And please don't anyone start in about it being "tractor oil" it is not. Automotive oil doesn't have additives anymore. That is not what is in question here.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
And please don't anyone start in about it being "tractor oil" it is not. Automotive oil doesn't have additives anymore. That is not what is in question here.

Sent from iPhone
It's the diesel motor oil I use in my tractor. I only use t4 Mobile one motorcycle oil in the Pioneer that is great oil, but I would never use it in my car or truck. When Rotella t6 says on the bottle it's motorcycle oil than I may use it in my bike. I use gasoline in my car and diesel fuel in my tractor. This is not rocket science people. Pick the best oil designed for the application.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm not going to debate different oils. I've had luck where I've had luck and others the same. The topic was asking about synthetic. I do believe that it's safe to run synthetic as to why I finally switched. Like I said I've seen no evidence as of lately to believe differently and I do believe that synthetic runs smoother is quieter and shifts better. For us I'm glad we finally switched and there is no looking back. its a lot more pleasant to drive.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Just did my first oil change at 170 miles I always go over on mileage due to letting the engine break in! I drained both drain plugs replaced the engine filter & DCT filter. I used 6 quarts of GN4 10w30. Mine shifts so much better. Very smooth. I will change the DCT filter at every oil change. It uses the same engine oil to me it should be changed with the engine oil filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Like many I am a big believer in using synthetics & do in all of my engines regardless of what it moves. Have been using Amsoil now for some time & happy to say the least - now for my P1000K interesting enough when I look @ the Amsoil site they do not have any fluids yet recommended to use from their product line. See Attachment. I will use synthetic for the next oil change - I always allow a good break in first but for now I suppose what ever syn' Honda has so as to not have any warranty issues.

AmsOil P1Kpptx

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called Amsoil as to why they don't list any fluids for the p1k, their response was its just too new and don't have info on the pioneer as of yet but assured me that the 0w40 atv-utv oil would be fine to use in the p1k. I changed my oil yesterday at 1050 mi, 2nd oil change, and went with the Amsoil 0w40, first ride and first impression, NICE!!

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
I called Amsoil as to why they don't list any fluids for the p1k, their response was its just too new and don't have info on the pioneer as of yet but assured me that the 0w40 atv-utv oil would be fine to use in the p1k. I changed my oil yesterday at 1050 mi, 2nd oil change, and went with the Amsoil 0w40, first ride and first impression, NICE!!
Thank you for checking into this. Now after the fact feel a bit foolish for not doing that myself, have called for other issues & always got an answer to my question from AmsOil - very good customer service. Will be rolling up on the 600 mile service soon & w/ this news plan to do the same.

DoubleDoc

DoubleDoc

Mar 28, 2017
Gods Country (Montana)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents!
I am curious as to what your oil change intervals are using synthetics? Are you following Hondas OEM oil intervals? Longer intervals? I understand the only true and best way to guarantee protection is via an oil analysis. I'm cheap too cheap for such :p but also curious to what you all are doing? (I am running T6 exclusively since my first service, OEM filters). Most of my use is at 8500' elevation or above, machine runs "cool", lots of dust/particulate. I drive like an old man (so I am told:D). We follow Honda's recommended drain intervals - which IMHO believe is over-kill w a synthetic oil?) Am I wasting oil?

Some of the motorcycle crew (touring bikes/Goldwings) are using T6 and running 5k drain intervals. I know comparing the two machines (and their use/application) isn't quite comparing apples to apples.

Reactions: elkguide
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents!
I am curious as to what your oil change intervals are using synthetics? Are you following Hondas OEM oil intervals? Longer intervals? I understand the only true and best way to guarantee protection is via an oil analysis. I'm cheap too cheap for such :p but also curious to what you all are doing? (I am running T6 exclusively since my first service, OEM filters). Most of my use is at 8500' elevation or above, machine runs "cool", lots of dust/particulate. I drive like an old man (so I am told:D). We follow Honda's recommended drain intervals - which IMHO believe is over-kill w a synthetic oil?) Am I wasting oil?

Some of the motorcycle crew (touring bikes/Goldwings) are using T6 and running 5k drain intervals. I know comparing the two machines (and their use/application) isn't quite comparing apples to apples.
Follow the intervals. Honda Engineers spend years testing engines and intervals to get the longest life out of the engines. Oil changes are relatively cheap compared to potential engine problems due to engine oil. 1200mile intervals will be roughly a years use depending on your situation. Even if you do not accumulate 1200 miles in a year, you should still change it once per rolling calender year.

Reactions: lee