P500 Fun with numbers - gears and sprocket ratio's

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Sitting here on a warm summers day trying to figure out a gearing and sprocket problem, to hot outside to do much else.

vehicle:2017 pioneer 500

Anyway onto the math problem: convert an add-on rear propeller shaft to spin at the rate of the front propeller shaft using chain-&-sprockets.
The closest I get is a 28T to 18T chain/sprocket combo

My 2017 P500 front diff uses 13Tx53T(4.07 ratio) gears and the rear uses 21Tx53T(2.52 ratio) gears so if I wanted to use a P500 front diff in the rear and convert the ratio using chain-&-sprockets what chain sprocket ratio's would I need?

Reactions: Rustell
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I think I got it, off by 1 I'd need 29x18...….cool guess that solves that.
EDIT:21x13 would fit even better

Last edited:
Reactions: Rustell
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The front & rear diffs have the same ratio, it's a mis-print in the parts list. Both front & rear driveshaft run off the same output shaft.....see "final shaft" in the parts schematic. Our options are to replace the gears on the trans main shaft/final shaft or replace the final drive gears to the P7 ones.....they will fit but that's expensive.

Reactions: DG Rider and lee
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I seam to recall that @JWB has a p700 front diff assembly under his work bench.
Not sure what his plans for it are but I think the torqumasters diff lock put the original plan on hold.

Just a thought.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The front & rear diffs have the same ratio, it's a mis-print in the parts list. Both front & rear driveshaft run off the same output shaft.....see "final shaft" in the parts schematic. Our options are to replace the gears on the trans main shaft/final shaft or replace the final drive gears to the P7 ones.....they will fit but that's expensive.
^^^ This

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I did
I did not know this Hmmm....interesting well anyway the long shot plan is to end up with a P566 as in pioneer 500 6x6 it looks impossible but I still have a glimmer of hope for now, i'll know more after this weekend up there. Right now I'm just toying around with it but once I get E.R.V. back down state for the winter I can start the real work if IF I find a path for a driveshaft to the rear add on tires, it would be so much easier with a diff that has an input and output through shaft.

So the plan.........if I can work it all out is to use a p5 front diff in an add on copy of the P5 rear frame/suspension.
The front add on propeller shaft would possibly be mounted in the P5 and allow the rear add on frame to couple right at the rear of the P5 the whole thing would be removable if wanted.
The add on diff would be a P500 front diff it would need a 6wd engagement cable and possibly a locker teehee.
so it would end up being 2wd, 4wd or 6wd along with a massive 4'x6' cargo bed area.

I know it is a wild idea but if it can be done I think it should be done.

Last edited:
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Some of you guys probably read my posts then look at my avatar picture and think "his helmet must be on to tight, must be squeezing all the oxygen out of his brain"

My last project was this blaster that I stuffed a 200cc, 4 stroke, electric start, 5 speed manual chinese engine into just because I had the stuff laying around at a cost of about $800, I called it BLASTARD. Rode it for two seasons and it would carry 5 gear with me on it at 275lbs, I figure it topped out at 45-50.

Reactions: Mudwing and 906UP
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Have you considered building a half track like @solrus ?

P500 - Pioneer 500 quick detach rear tires track system
He did very well on that awesome project but I'll stick to just wheels/tires for now, when I get up to our shack to my P5 thursday I'll spend some time looking at how/where I might be able to snake a propeller shaft through the frame to the back.Finding a way to get power to the add on wheels is key to making it work and I still think there are a couple of options.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!