P1000 Gear selection on trails

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just picked up my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 delux yesterday and after going thur the manual I found that there is not much info on gear selection or RPM range for trail riding other than low is for 5mph or lower. What gear selection are you using on the trails. From what I can figure out is AT mode and use the paddles to go up or down or just stay in AT mode and let the trans do the selection. I just don't want the clutch to heat up.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a manual guy most of the time. Low if not going over 30 mph for long stretches and Hi if mainly going over 30. At Hi on roads. Don't use the "Sport Mode" at all.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run in high majority of time - only time I put in low is on a long technical climb that I will be in 4WD for or if I have a really rocky decent that I want to maximize the engine braking on.

Sport mode if I am on groomed trails with a lot of water breaks (Mill Creek)

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish it would stay in whatever mode it was in last. Been stuck more than once where I don' t think I would have been had it stayed in manual. Stopped, shut it off , accessed the situation, turned back on and go for it forgetting I'm in auto now and having it shift before I wanted it to. I might have to put a sign up reminding me to know what mode I'm in.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I'm a manual guy most of the time. Low if not going over 30 mph for long stretches and Hi if mainly going over 30. At Hi on roads. Don't use the "Sport Mode" at all.

What are your reasons for not running Sport Mode?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Most times in trails I’m in low manual. Nice to never grab brakes. Not a fan of auto low at all. Higher speed I usually still run manual, I just like it better.
But I do believe most of the issues like was said are over so it’s really up to the operator. Kinda whatever someone likes, that’s the beauty of this system. Super slow should be done in low still, never hill hold the machine with the throttle, try to jump on it a little if backing up a hill and you’ll be fine.

J

JTW

Most times in trails I’m in low manual. Nice to never grab brakes. Not a fan of auto low at all. Higher speed I usually still run manual, I just like it better.
But I do believe most of the issues like was said are over so it’s really up to the operator. Kinda whatever someone likes, that’s the beauty of this system. Super slow should be done in low still, never hill hold the machine with the throttle, try to jump on it a little if backing up a hill and you’ll be fine.
Exactly!

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are your reasons for not running Sport Mode?

I like to control RPM.

Wish all my vehicles had a manual option. Cant stand it when I have my truck on cruise and it down shifts to maintain speed. Wish it would just slow down a little and avoid the shift. Maybe newer truck have that option ? Mines an 04.

J

JTW

I like to control RPM.

Wish all my vehicles had a manual option. Cant stand it when I have my truck on cruise and it down shifts to maintain speed. Wish it would just slow down a little and avoid the shift. Maybe newer truck have that option ? Mines an 04.
That’s the beauty of a turbo... be it ecoboost or diesel. I do find myself reaching for the paddles after a weekend ride.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s the beauty of a turbo... be it ecoboost or diesel. I do find myself reaching for the paddles after a weekend ride.
Ha! The other day driving my wife’s rig hard on the dirt road I kept finding myself grabbing air coming into corners. Sam was making fun of me saying “don’t shift Dad” on a corner. Cracked me up

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I just switched commuter vehicles form a Honda Accord 4cyl with a 5 speed to a Chevy HHR automatic. Missing the manual, cant stand the HHR shifting when it wants, but was so sick of getting in and out of the Accord being so low to the ground. Getting hard to find manual transmission vehicles . Wife got a new accord, cant get it with a manual that she wanted. The auto tranny in the new Accord is ok, but she'd rather have a manual.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just switched commuter vehicles form a Honda Accord 4cyl with a 5 speed to a Chevy HHR automatic. Missing the manual, cant stand the HHR shifting when it wants, but was so sick of getting in and out of the Accord being so low to the ground. Getting hard to find manual transmission vehicles . Wife got a new accord, cant get it with a manual that she wanted. The auto tranny in the new Accord is ok, but she'd rather have a manual.
Both our camping rigs are manual. Absolutely love it for getting around the hills, my wife too. Whole generations growing up that can’t drive manual. Not that it really matters anymore but glad all my kids can and do.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both our camping rigs are manual. Absolutely love it for getting around the hills, my wife too. Whole generations growing up that can’t drive manual. Not that it really matters anymore but glad all my kids can and do.

Manual transmission AKA , new, anti theft device.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I wish it would stay in whatever mode it was in last. Been stuck more than once where I don' t think I would have been had it stayed in manual. Stopped, shut it off , accessed the situation, turned back on and go for it forgetting I'm in auto now and having it shift before I wanted it to. I might have to put a sign up reminding me to know what mode I'm in.

The reason you got stuck is because you didn't have it in sport mode LOL

Think about it?
Sport Mode auto is the best mode to be in when you hit a mud hole, it keeps your Rpm's up.
Situation
If the mud is slick and you start really spinning you don't want shift up until you hit red line so you don't bogg the engine.
Sport Mode wins
The mud is sticky engine starts pulling down it shifts up quicker.
Sport Mode wins again
In auto you can shift up and down with the paddles but it keeps you from accidentally shift up a gear to High and bogging the engine because it is out the Sport Mode RPM range.
Sport Mode wins again

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reason you got stuck is because you didn't have it in sport mode LOL

Think about it?
Sport Mode auto is the best mode to be in when you hit a mud hole, it keeps your Rpm's up.
Situation
If the mud is slick and you start really spinning you don't want shift up until you hit red line so you don't bogg the engine.
Sport Mode wins
The mud is sticky engine starts pulling down it shifts up quicker.
Sport Mode wins again
In auto you can shift up and down with the paddles but it keeps you from accidentally shift up a gear to High and bogging the engine because it is out the Sport Mode RPM range.
Sport Mode wins again

In all your situations, for me, manual wins. I control the RPM. To each their own.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!