P1000 Gear Shift Problem with Codes

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello,
I was riding in a creek yesterday kinda fast in about 2’-3’ of water in High range. Nothing deep at all. All of a sudden the engine died. I put it in neutral and it started back up. Soon as I would put it in any gear the engine would die. The gear indicator was giving some kind of code. If I remember correctly, I believe it was 5 long lines and 7 short lines.
I thought I was gonna have to be pulled home. I killed the engine and let it sit about 30 seconds. Turned the key to the on position and I could hear a solenoid or something functioning like it was trying to find the neutral position. I started it up and it went into gear and I made it home. All the gear functions work now.
The battery has been a little weak lately but not completely dead.
Any idea on what the problem could have been? This is only the 2nd problem I’ve had with the machine. It has 6,450 miles. The only other problem it’s given me is a stripped out steering joint, which Honda covered under a recall. This is a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS.
Thank You

• Wow
Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Low battery voltage and high battery consumption causes the transmissions on the pioneer to do wierd things. Most people run a second battery to reduce these issues.

I am not savy on the codes; someone should come along soon that may be more helpful.

3ft of water can be deep for the pioneer if vent lines have not been extended.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Low battery voltage and high battery consumption causes the transmissions on the pioneer to do wierd things. Most people run a second battery to reduce these issues.

I am not savy on the codes; someone should come along soon that may be more helpful.

3ft of water can be deep for the pioneer if vent lines have not been extended.
The battery has been ran down twice within 2 years. It’s probably time to replace it.

The vent lines were routed high when I bought the machine.

Thank You

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Shift drum position malfunction

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! What does this mean and what is the fix?
I believe it is either #3 or #5.
Grab a copy of the service manual and follow the diagnostic tree. It could be a bad wire somewhere as well.

Edit: If you upgrade your account to either supporting or lifetime member, there is a downloadable service manual available.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS.
Sounds like possible water ingestion. 16’-17’ are notorious to causing issues if you dont have it snorkeled and going through the water like you did.
Is yours snorkeled?

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like possible water ingestion. 16’-17’ are notorious to causing issues if you dont have it snorkeled and going through the water like you did.
Is yours snorkeled?
No, it is not snorkeled. I don’t go through deep water or mud ride. It does have 30” tires on 14” rims and a lift kit.
Is there anything I could easily check? It’s running fine and shifting fine this morning.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No, it is not snorkeled. I don’t go through deep water
In the 16’s dosnt take much! Just a light splash. Just ask @CumminsPusher if u dont believe me😉 or just search it up top. Its a must on a 16-17’
I would snorkel it through or under the hood, and all the vent lines cuz they are low.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is there anything I could easily check? It’s running fine and shifting fine this morning.
I would drain the oil and filters. The water might have settled. Or if u got it in the wiring harness could have dried up

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
***UPDATE***

It did it again while ago and I had to be pulled home. It will not downshift and when it does shift up while running, it will only run for a short distance and die. It did this after I turned the stereo on for a short period. It supposedly has the clutch kit update installed by Honda.
I’m hoping it’s just the battery because there’s no way I can afford to put it in the shop anytime soon.

Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It supposedly has the clutch kit update installed by Honda.
Did u check and verify? Supposedly aint gonna cut it!
IMG 5175

I’m hoping it’s just the battery
Put the battery on a “load” tester. You can get one at HF or any auto parts store. If it fails the load, get you a new battery.
That said…you said the battery was like a year old. Sounds like you have some accessories on this buggy. Do u have a second battery on the rig? If not, Id advise to get one and put all your accessories on it. If you have one, whats on your primary and your secondary?

Reactions: Travis R
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
***UPDATE***

It did it again while ago and I had to be pulled home. It will not downshift and when it does shift up while running, it will only run for a short distance and die. It did this after I turned the stereo on for a short period. It supposedly has the clutch kit update installed by Honda.
I’m hoping it’s just the battery because there’s no way I can afford to put it in the shop anytime soon.

This sounds like a shift motor problem, the more you describe it

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 438245

Put the battery on a “load” tester. You can get one at HF or any auto parts store. If it fails the load, get you a new battery.
That said…you said the battery was like a year old. Sounds like you have some accessories on this buggy. Do u have a second battery on the rig? If not, Id advise to get one and put all your accessories on it. If you have one, whats on your primary and your secondary?
I just installed a new battery. The old battery was stamped 2021. Waiting on rain to stop so I can try it out. I have a winch and a Bluetooth stereo box.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, the battery was not the problem. It was also giving an “E” or “F” in the gear selection display earlier.
It does not want to downshift and the AT/Manual transmission switch will not function.
No matter if I put the drive selection lever in “R”, “L”, or “H”, the machine will not move at all. The engine will just rev.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 438245

Yes, it has the updated clutch cover.

advertisement