P1000 Getting Real

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from 15 days of riding trails in the mountains of Colorado. Really showed the short commings of our P1000-5. Not enough suspension combined with a seat that feels like 1/2" foam on a piece of 3/4" plywood beat the hell out of us. We now have 1190 miles on this unit and that wonderful "dual clutch" transmisission still clanks like hell when it shifts. Must say it compliments the rattling doors and dump bed. The seat heat is ridiculous even in the cool mountain air. Yea, many of these problems can be jury rigged but this begs the question why after paying this much money should we have to fix Honda's poor engineering? Maybe this is why we saw 50 new Razors for every Pioneer. Yea, I have heard about all the maintenance nightmares with Polaris. The funny thing is that with all the Razor owners we talked to none of them have experienced all the problems we hear about. Most of them were repeat buyers. We are retired so we will have to make the best of our purchase but my reccomendation to prospective buyers is to research other brands. All of this from a previous Honda believer who has owned multiple Honda dirtbikes, atvs, lawn mowers, autombiles, weed eaters, and generators. All great products until this Pioneer.

Last edited:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dam, my kids need better jobs! :) Nice!
Yep, incredible gift from two incredible people. We'll fix most of the things I mentioned and be thankful we have it. Thank goodness we don't have the water issue as most o f the trails we ride are dry and we go slow through the puddles.

Reactions: pct and X4Dice
DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, incredible gift from two incredible people. We'll fix most of the things I mentioned and be thankful we have it. Thank goodness we don't have the water issue as most o f the trails we ride are dry and we go slow through the puddles.

We've had water coming in the floor (before we snorkeled it) and had no problems. Just take it easy.

Screen Shot 2017 07 29 at 61821 PM

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry to hear about your disappointments. Most we have expressed concerns with through various post but it's good to hear new views.

Like others have said. We shouldn't have to "fix" a new machine. Honda is working on a heat and clutch solution but currently no real ETA. However rumors are heating up to expect them soon.

Yet, even then. I don't expect the heat solution to be nearly as good as some of the modifications this club has worked up.

So, With that said.
Requesting that the club keep this post respective and talk about how to get the most out of your rig.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry to hear about your disappointments. Most we have expressed concerns with through various post but it's good to hear new views.

Like others have said. We shouldn't have to "fix" a new machine. Honda is working on a heat and clutch solution but currently no real ETA. However rumors are heating up to expect them soon.

Yet, even then. I don't expect the heat solution to be nearly as good as some of the modifications this club has worked up.

So, With that said.
Requesting that the club keep this post respective and talk about how to get the most out of your rig.

Sorry, I was just trying to ease some concerns.

Reactions: pct and drfubar
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry, I was just trying to ease some concerns.
Wasn't directed at u.
I think we overlapped. Lol.

Just been several similar post gone haywire past few weeks. Would like to keep this one on track so voices can be heard.

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wasn't directed at u.
I think we overlapped. Lol.

Just been several similar post gone haywire past few weeks. Would like to keep this one on track so voices can be heard.

Cool! :)

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Just got back from 15 days of riding trails in the mountains of Colorado. Really showed the short commings of our P1000-5. Not enough suspension combined with a seat that feels like 1/2" foam on a piece of 3/4" plywood beat the hell out of us. We now have 1190 miles on this unit and that wonderful "dual clutch" transmisission still clanks like hell when it shifts. Must say it compliments the rattling doors and dump bed. The seat heat is ridiculous even in the cool mountain air. Yea, many of these problems can be jury rigged but this begs the question why after paying this much money should we have to fix Honda's poor engineering? Maybe this is why we saw 50 new Razors for every Pioneer. Yea, I have heard about all the maintenance nightmares with Polaris. The funny thing is that with all the Razor owners we talked to none of them have experienced all the problems we hear about. Most of them were repeat buyers. We are retired so we will have to make the best of our purchase but my reccomendation to prospective buyers is to research other brands. All of this from a previous Honda believer who has owned multiple Honda dirtbikes, atvs, lawn mowers, autombiles, weed eaters, and generators. All great products until this Pioneer.

Yeah - I hear you. I was thinking and saying the same things last year.
I've done a few mods for the heat and upgraded suspension. I also use a little memory foam seat pad. For the money I shouldn't have to.

On the flip side, I love this ride and any one that rides with me is impressed. I'm guessing I'll own this machine longer than most Razor/Ranger owners will own their's. There are a few issues but I'm counting on the Honda reliability to get me thru. We'll see how that plays out i guess. Been solid so far.

J

JTW

Jbird... couple suggestions... obviously suspension is costly. But everyone swears by the upgraded shocks. I ordered fronts today. We'll see. I would also recommend you sitting on a 2017 model seat. They're much softer. Might be worth ordering just the seat.

The seat heat is beatable for less than $100... blower fan and heat shield, even cheaper if you don't need the rear seats of the 5. Take the rear foot plastics off.

The dash has a Honda fix now... some little air dam. $12
Or a member has sold some gear shifter covers with a gasket that closes that dash heat off. $75

Honda also has a "fix" for the intake. It redirects it and solves the direct water injection issue. (I would still suggest you do that) $25

Can't say I have an issue with the clutch noise... and I've adjusted all the door and bed rattles out.

I'll also add to your list the lack of a e-brake is ridiculous to me. But a line lock fixes half of the issue with not having one.

It does suck not being 100% satisfied and particularly with what they cost... however, with that said. A jeep is much more expensive and every other brand has its own issues. For less than $300 every issue, minus the clutch situation and suspension can be a pretty simple and inexpensively fixed. Now, I do think Honda should send owners the upgraded fixes without the charge! But they are still cheap... sooo. It all really boils back to what are your intention for the machine. It's not the best trail machine. It's not the best work machine. It's not the best family hauler. It's the hybrid of all those things... kind of the jack of all trades but master of none. But for one machine that can do it all... it's pretty damn good.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jbird... couple suggestions... obviously suspension is costly. But everyone swears by the upgraded shocks. I ordered fronts today. We'll see. I would also recommend you sitting on a 2017 model seat. They're much softer. Might be worth ordering just the seat.

The seat heat is beatable for less than $100... blower fan and heat shield, even cheaper if you don't need the rear seats of the 5. Take the rear foot plastics off.

The dash has a Honda fix now... some little air dam. $12
Or a member has sold some gear shifter covers with a gasket that closes that dash heat off. $75

Honda also has a "fix" for the intake. It redirects it and solves the direct water injection issue. (I would still suggest you do that) $25

Can't say I have an issue with the clutch noise... and I've adjusted all the door and bed rattles out.

I'll also add to your list the lack of a e-brake is ridiculous to me. But a line lock fixes half of the issue with not having one.

It does suck not being 100% satisfied and particularly with what they cost... however, with that said. A jeep is much more expensive and every other brand has its own issues. For less than $300 every issue, minus the clutch situation and suspension can be a pretty simple and inexpensively fixed. Now, I do think Honda should send owners the upgraded fixes without the charge! But they are still cheap... sooo. It all really boils back to what are your intention for the machine. It's not the best trail machine. It's not the best work machine. It's not the best family hauler. It's the hybrid of all those things... kind of the jack of all trades but master of none. But for one machine that can do it all... it's pretty damn good.
Thanks JTW for the suggestions. I will check with you on some of the fixes on how you did them if you don't mind.

M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Side note, am I the only one here who owns a Pioneer 1000-5 and doesn't think there is excessive heat? I've never found it to me a problem. I can feel a small amount behind the seat if I reach my arm around, but nothing excessive. If anything, the bit of heat has actually been a benefit for us here in northern PA.

I make this comment because before I bought my Pioneer I was really worried that excessive heat would be a problem, but happily it is not an issue for me.

OP,
My shifting got a lot quieter after my first service. At your mileage, I'd assume you've done that, but just to confirm, has the oil been changed? I agree that the shocks (especially the front) could be better. I worry a little about the clutch (again, only due to all the problems posted here), but at nearly 1,000 miles, my clutches have been problem free.

I think Honda added thicker seat foam on the 2017's, although I've never found my 2016 seat to be uncomfortable.

This isn't to say my Pioneer was perfect from the factory. I had to do the following:
  • adjust the 4wd/diff lock cable, I had unreliable engagement until I adjusted
  • adjust LED heatlights down, they were aimed way too high
  • perform front end wheel alignment, my machine was toed way out, it is not true to within 1/32"
  • center steering wheel (did this during alignment process)
  • adjust door stops to eliminate rattles

Reactions: pct and DMH
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Side note, am I the only one here who owns a Pioneer 1000-5 and doesn't think there is excessive heat? I've never found it to me a problem. I can feel a small amount behind the seat if I reach my arm around, but nothing excessive. If anything, the bit of heat has actually been a benefit for us here in northern PA.

I make this comment because before I bought my Pioneer I was really worried that excessive heat would be a problem, but happily it is not an issue for me.

OP,
My shifting got a lot quieter after my first service. At your mileage, I'd assume you've done that, but just to confirm, has the oil been changed? I agree that the shocks (especially the front) could be better. I worry a little about the clutch (again, only due to all the problems posted here), but at nearly 1,000 miles, my clutches have been problem free.

I think Honda added thicker seat foam on the 2017's, although I've never found my 2016 seat to be uncomfortable.

This isn't to say my Pioneer was perfect from the factory. I had to do the following:
  • adjust the 4wd/diff lock cable, I had unreliable engagement until I adjusted
  • adjust LED heatlights down, they were aimed way too high
  • perform front end wheel alignment, my machine was toed way out, it is not true to within 1/32"
  • center steering wheel (did this during alignment process)
  • adjust door stops to eliminate rattles
Yes the oil was changed at the first service. The differential oil was not changed but as the 1200 mile service is basically due now I plan to have a heavier transmission oil installed (90 wt Lucas) as people report this really helps quiet things down. I never saw the seat hardness as a problem till we started riding 5-7 hours a day on the Colorado trails. Our backs still hurt over that. Lol. On a positive note, we have had no clutch problems so far.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The stock suspension on my 9 year old Polaris is still superior to the s*** Honda installs at the factory. I'm ordering Elka stage 5's this week. Another 3K to bring the P1K up to par. And I haven't even begun to deal with the seat heat problem that doesn't exist on the Polaris. I feel your pain. ;) Side note, you going to ride Bear Creek (Lake Greeson)?

M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes the oil was changed at the first service. The differential oil was not changed but as the 1200 mile service is basically due now I plan to have a heavier transmission oil installed (90 wt Lucas) as people report this really helps quiet things down. I never saw the seat hardness as a problem till we started riding 5-7 hours a day on the Colorado trails. Our backs still hurt over that. Lol. On a positive note, we have had no clutch problems so far.
I changed my F/R diff's to 75w-140 Amsoil, it is a bit quieter now.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
This was a gift from my son and daughter-in-law.
Your opinion is truly unbiased....
Folks that paid That money tend to stay quiet or over look the issues...
I still think of you keep it you can work out the bugs....Your kids meant well and you are a lucky bugger..
A lot of people are fed up with Polaris and can am and want something reliable. And if they get bad PK1 they will never buy a Honda Tee shirt again..

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Lol!!! That's funny! Did you notice if clunks loudly in high, low or both equally?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!