P1000 Getting Real

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Side note, am I the only one here who owns a Pioneer 1000-5 and doesn't think there is excessive heat? I've never found it to me a problem. I can feel a small amount behind the seat if I reach my arm around, but nothing excessive. If anything, the bit of heat has actually been a benefit for us here in northern PA.

I make this comment because before I bought my Pioneer I was really worried that excessive heat would be a problem, but happily it is not an issue for me.

OP,
My shifting got a lot quieter after my first service. At your mileage, I'd assume you've done that, but just to confirm, has the oil been changed? I agree that the shocks (especially the front) could be better. I worry a little about the clutch (again, only due to all the problems posted here), but at nearly 1,000 miles, my clutches have been problem free.

I think Honda added thicker seat foam on the 2017's, although I've never found my 2016 seat to be uncomfortable.

This isn't to say my Pioneer was perfect from the factory. I had to do the following:
  • adjust the 4wd/diff lock cable, I had unreliable engagement until I adjusted
  • adjust LED heatlights down, they were aimed way too high
  • perform front end wheel alignment, my machine was toed way out, it is not true to within 1/32"
  • center steering wheel (did this during alignment process)
  • adjust door stops to eliminate rattles

I'm as confused as you. I've read post's of unbearable heat to the point people refuse to ride in it, and to the extreme of steam burns. We've had our's for a few months now and we have never experienced any of that. Only time anyone has mentioned anything about heat was after we had been sitting still idling for about 5 minutes and then all I heard was "let's get moving, it's getting warm".

We live in central Florida (Definitely hot and humid this time of year). We went riding the past weekend. With the Florida heat and going through all kinds of water, no complaints.

Reactions: ghost and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm as confused as you. I've read post's of unbearable heat to the point people refuse to ride in it, and to the extreme of steam burns. We've had our's for a few months now and we have never experienced any of that. Only time anyone has mentioned anything about heat was after we had been sitting still idling for about 5 minutes and then all I heard was "let's get moving, it's getting warm".

We live in central Florida (Definitely hot and humid this time of year). We went riding the past weekend. With the Florida heat and going through all kinds of water, no complaints.

I think some of the complaints are from booze cruisers. Drive for 5 mins sit and listen to the radio and drink beer by the mud pit for an hour.

Mine stays moving and except for the steam bath on a cold day fogging up the windshield or someone in the right rear keeping there foot on the hotspot. I almost never turn on the bilge blower. I even have full skids. So even less airflow.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Hondas are utility models and I'm temped to install Kawasaki Teryx seat backs now but will wait until all the 2018 models are announced. Hopefully we will have sport models to compare with the RZR's for 2018. From all the Forum info we know they are coming. I'm not willing to wait so I bought a Yamaha YXZ for my fast paced rides. I have dibs on the first Honda sport model and have bought several UTV's from my dealer. My 2 RZR's and Ranger worked great but the failures Sucked plus I just hate being towed in.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

I'll have to pay attention to high range vs low. We do 90% of our trail riding in High range, Turf , and MT. Did use Low range 2WD in a couple of knarly areas.
Mine clunks loud in low range. Especially under a load, like in the sand. High range is much better.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
All the people that have installed fans (intake and exhaust) were just following the school of fish. There was never really a heat problem.

Reactions: Jbird
atvman17

atvman17

Jan 28, 2016
central bc. canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
with the hard mid panel and wind deflector ,the heat problem all but disappears. The 17 has a softer seat bottom that i am going to try. front shocks are too soft. First year models always have some short comings. over 2000 trouble free miles.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am one you can add to the list of never experiencing a heat problem and have always been confused with the complaints.

At one point I did start a thread to make it quieter because of the engine noise that a lot of people complained about and I cut a three-quarter inch piece of plywood and laid it over the compartment under the seat and it helped immensely and almost all the noise went away.

Unfortunately because of some things that came up in my life, I was never able to complete that project and post pictures and I always feel like a loser for doing that, but it is what it is and family comes first.

But the point here is that whatever small amount of heat I did feel, also went away with the noise because I had that whole area covered over.

I'm not really sure why no one else has picked up that ball and run with it because after listening to the noise and reading about the heat the first conclusion that I came up with was to cover off that entire area and though I did attach the plywood to the compartment, I never got around to figuring out a system of how to attach the seat to the plywood because once you drill a hole to go over the peg that holds the seat not much is sticking up to reengage it again.

Still I road around surprisingly with just the seat sitting freely on the plywood but eventually I did take the plywood off and reattach the seat. I think for anyone who has the spare time that is still an excellent fix for both noise and heat and it works wonders!

I pick up my Kawasaki pro rancher on Tuesday and I look forward to owning another UTV to do a comparison with the 1000 which I still have.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I am one you can add to the list of never experiencing a heat problem and have always been confused with the complaints.

I think for anyone who has the spare time that is still an excellent fix for both noise and heat and it works wonders!
I'm not sure how to reconcile those two statements???

advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not sure how to reconcile those two statements???

I'm not sure how you can't? LOL

I said the solution I came up with was for the NOISE, not heat, but that the little bit of heat I did feel, not an issue heat, but the little bit, went completely away so it will also fix both!

If you think about it, where would the heat come from if the engine bay was completely blocked off?

Reactions: AZhunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not sure how you can't? LOL

I said the solution I came up with was for the NOISE, not heat, but that the little bit of heat I did feel, not an issue heat, but the little bit, went completely away so it will also fix both!

If you think about it, where would the heat come from if the engine bay was completely blocked off?
Do you have any pics of the plywood mod that fixed the noise and heat?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you have any pics of the plywood mod that fixed the noise and heat?

Now now now, you are not fully reading my post!! Shame on you for glancing at the writings of an artist! LMAO! you're going to make me post the "I am a loser" again? geez you're cruel... :)

"Unfortunately because of some things that came up in my life, I was never able to complete that project and post pictures and I always feel like a loser for doing that, but it is what it is and family comes first."

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just took a piece of plywood and then took a pencil and scrolled out the shape. Cut it with a jigsaw and I was done!

I was going to take a noise meter and do a before and after and all that stuff but as I say...

Reactions: AZhunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Now now now, you are not fully reading my post!! Shame on you for glancing at the writings of an artist! LMAO! you're going to make me post the "I am a loser" again? geez you're cruel... :)

"Unfortunately because of some things that came up in my life, I was never able to complete that project and post pictures and I always feel like a loser for doing that, but it is what it is and family comes first."
Lmao, that's funny dude. :D

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

At one point I did start a thread to make it quieter because of the engine noise that a lot of people complained about and I cut a three-quarter inch piece of plywood and laid it over the compartment under the seat and it helped immensely and almost all the noise went away.

Unfortunately because of some things that came up in my life, I was never able to complete that project and post pictures and I always feel like a loser for doing that, but it is what it is and family comes first.

But the point here is that whatever small amount of heat I did feel, also went away with the noise because I had that whole area covered over.

I'm not really sure why no one else has picked up that ball and run with it because after listening to the noise and reading about the heat the first conclusion that I came up with was to cover off that entire area and though I did attach the plywood to the compartment, I never got around to figuring out a system of how to attach the seat to the plywood because once you drill a hole to go over the peg that holds the seat not much is sticking up to reengage it again.

Still I road around surprisingly with just the seat sitting freely on the plywood but eventually I did take the plywood off and reattach the seat. I think for anyone who has the spare time that is still an excellent fix for both noise and heat and it works wonders!

I pick up my Kawasaki pro rancher on Tuesday and I look forward to owning another UTV to do a comparison with the 1000 which I still have.
I would think you could just put some straight thin metal on the edges and it would act as a catch so the wood didn't fall into the engine bay. I might be dumbing this down too much but thats my first thought.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since this post seems to be about Real Feedback I'd like to post...

I went from a 2015 RZR XP 1000 to my P1K-5. My RZR never gave me any issue, however i was worried about longevity. I didn't like the timing chain noise at start up... I was hoping the P1K would be a problem free cross between Trail and sport. Upon my first day I looked the machine over, closely. I've adjusted the doors, however they still rattle. I'm afraid that the rear doors will break off if someone leans on them.... There is no comparison between the RZR doors that use metal for support. I'm shocked that there is NO metal shields between the engine and the seat I sit on... No wonder it gets hot! What would happen if the engine through a rod? Would I get hit by a flying rod? ... The plastic wheel wells will easily break with the right hit... Am I protected? Why did Honda NOT stand behind water ingested engine blows, then release a fix? This is ridiculous. At least Polaris fixed their issues at NO cost to me!! I think my Honda rides good for what it is... I'm not happy with how it pushes in corners. This I feel is dangerous... I love how smooth and quite it is at slow speeds! This is very useful for cutting trails!! With all the clutch issues that have been reported, can my Honda plow snow and survive? Will Honda blame me if it fails? Seems to me they said it can tow 2000lbs and carry 1000 in the bed. I paid 20k for my Honda and accessories, so I tend to get a bit emotional when I think about the short comings it has. I found comfort with hearing that Honda would release fixes after the fact, however I've lost hope because there's been nothing done. I spoke with Honda Customer Service a few times and left the phone call feeling like Honda believes the failures are abuse. Have you guys seen what people put RZRs through? My Honda would last 10mins with that type of abuse.... Yes, I'm disappointed with this product. It has some strengths that I mentioned, however they don't make up for the poor engineering and ridicules Customer Service comments. The anger on this forum is getting more traction and it's NOT the fault of the people venting. They / we just want what we paid for and we're all shocked that it's a Honda product.

2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!