P1000 Getting the jitters

F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I waited patiently for 2 months for mine to arrive (which was supposed to be last week) but now I was told middle of October… I’m now being less patient and looking into the used market. I hope your dealer comes through for you!

O

Obob

Apr 5, 2021
Mi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, I've also been patiently waiting sice early June for a July 29th dealer arrival date. All along figuring it would get pushed back a couple of weeks probably. So i called on Friday the 30th and was told Honda pushed delivery back to end of Sept. 2 more months !

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have owned my Pioneer 1000-3 since December 2017. Did my own oil changes. Tightened loose grounds. Installed 2 lithium batteries. Had dealer install Talon lower reverse gears. Been driving up and down desert mountains. Had one flat when I woke up in the morning. Stick through the sidewall. Have been driving as a replacement to my 47 Willys Jeep. Don't go too fast, but I am a rock hound and regularly overload the bed with 1500 pounds plus. No issues, no leaks, starts every day. Don't do mud. We don't have any here in Nevada, but we do have heat. Installed by-pass switch on fan so I can run it solid with heavy loads at 120 degrees in Death Valley area. Have never seen more than 3 bars, and that stopped with the by-pass switch. My fault. Way overloaded with elk and gear, hot, and high altitude (12,000 ft) in Colorado mountains. Still, she's never left me broke down or undriveable. Oh, and I have towed my neighbors Polaris General in from hunting trips twice at 12,000 ft. Blown belt and blown clutch and motor case. Honda just pulled him back slowly, but on the trails we were on it's lucky he got back at all. Good luck, you will love NOT working on your Honda!

D

Dasmoeturhead

I've had my P1K since Jan 2016. It's a frigging anvil. Routine maintenance is easy if your the least bit mechanically inclined. I used mine for over 5 years on my 10 acre property as a work horse. It ended up being my right hand. We moved off the mountain 7 months ago, so it doesn't really see any hard work now. Today however I found d a trail called the Buffalo Mountain ATV park just outside of Johnson City TN. It's 13 miles In and back on the same road. Opened to atv's,m/C, and sxs's. So now my Machine will be used for fun not work. Yee haw. Enjoy your new machine.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Not to hijack this thread, but Buffalo Mountain trail has a Max width of 50". Sorry for the miss info. The place looked nice.

J

JMB237

Supporting Member
Apr 6, 2021
Athens, AL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As i'm waiting for my P1K5 base model to arrive in a couple weeks (or so). I'm getting the jitters as i read the
the horror stories for the cost of 1st service Schedual maintenance, Shift cable adjustments on new machine, Etc.
And even some posts commenting "Junk Ass Hondas", Are those true sentiments or sarcasm?
I am mechanical, But it just does sound like a lack of quality control for such an expensive vehicle.
I Plan on doing my own service, can't fathom paying those costs.
Nor do i plan on buying extended warranty coverage, Any thoughts and/or comments?
Anyone have a list of those service maintenance scheduals? For my old Tractor and my snowmobiles i have manuals
Is there one available for this machine?
Just having jitters,
wondering if its worth buying. My main use is going to be on my 20 acres working fire wood etc. and riding to a couple river spots with wife and friends, grandchildren. Some road riding, some trail riding, I won't be baja or mud bogging, Just Family fun.
?
What color base model are you waiting for? I have a green one on order that was supposed to arrive sometime in September and now it’s “new date” is October 29.

O

Obob

Apr 5, 2021
Mi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I put the deposit down Late may or early June. The dealer told me they had one on order that wasn't spoken for. It was for a July 29th dealer arrival, Now its end of September delivery.

Reactions: Lady01
Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As i'm waiting for my P1K5 base model to arrive in a couple weeks (or so). I'm getting the jitters as i read the
the horror stories for the cost of 1st service Schedual maintenance, Shift cable adjustments on new machine, Etc.
And even some posts commenting "Junk Ass Hondas", Are those true sentiments or sarcasm?
I am mechanical, But it just does sound like a lack of quality control for such an expensive vehicle.
I Plan on doing my own service, can't fathom paying those costs.
Nor do i plan on buying extended warranty coverage, Any thoughts and/or comments?
Anyone have a list of those service maintenance scheduals? For my old Tractor and my snowmobiles i have manuals
Is there one available for this machine?
Just having jitters,
wondering if its worth buying. My main use is going to be on my 20 acres working fire wood etc. and riding to a couple river spots with wife and friends, grandchildren. Some road riding, some trail riding, I won't be baja or mud bogging, Just Family fun.
?
My dealer in Ohio charges 280.00

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the shop manual for $48 here (good quality):

Service Shop Repair Manual

Tweaking the shift cable was easy, there are good videos posted.

I'm assuming the assemblies are bolted together in SC. Most of the fasteners, such as the 5mm hex drive bolts or those holding the seat back mounted, were over-torqued (though one of the seat back bolts was missing - later found loose under the seat). So yeah, I'd say the US assembly is sub-par but nothing serious, at least on the '21 SE I bought.

I'm going to listen to the valve train for excessive noise, and do my own 100 mile service (keeping receipts etc). No extended warranty for me.

D

Dasmoeturhead

The pioneer will fit the bill for you just fine. I used mine for 5.5 years on my 10 acres. There's no way I could have managed that property as well as I did without my Pioneer. Like you I would take my dogs to the river, and family and friends. I used it for dump runs to town when I didn't want to start the old Ram 3500 Diesel. We'd go to town for lunch after yard work, we always showed up to parties and concerts up in the mountains. Everybody up here does the same thing. It's normal here to see more sxs's, and atv's at a party than it is to see cars or trucks. We moved off the mountain Dec 2020. I only have 3/4 of acre now, but the Pioneer is still earning her keep. Just cut up a downed tree branch and loaded it on a utility trailer, getting it ready to go to the dump.. Love East TN
Bottom line; it'll work Hard for you. I was the 1st person to buy a Pioneer1000 up here, but now there are at least 7 of them now. They all owned Gators until they seen mine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!