GMRS radio install

L

leong27

Dec 22, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys. I have Pioneer 1000 -5 and i want to install Rugged radio GMR25. The directions stated that i must connect the radio strait to the battery. Did anyone connected the radio with the relay? I do not want to leave my UTV with the radio connected to the battery for a week or two when I am leaving to work.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi guys. I have Pioneer 1000 -5 and i want to install Rugged radio GMR25. The directions stated that i must connect the radio strait to the battery. Did anyone connected the radio with the relay? I do not want to leave my UTV with the radio connected to the battery for a week or two when I am leaving to work.
I would hook it to a relay or just to an on off switch for that matter.

Welcome from Michigan.
congrats on your first post.
#POIDH

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see this is slightly old by a few months but I would just like to add that I connected a fuse block/bus to a 30 amp relay. That relay gets its power from the battery, well actually the started solenoid. The relay switches on via power coming from the factory accessory harness. I used a fuse tap that I had but I realize there is harness adapter or similar you can buy purposed built for this. The setup turns on anything hooked to this block/bus when the key is on and turns it off when key is off. My UHF radio is hooked to that with no issues.

TAE6584  TAE6585  TAE6586

Last edited:
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wired mine mine straight to the battery, and turn it off when done riding.
Everything on my buggy is key on except my radio.
You need to post some pics cuz most everyone here is a picAholic
#NTC

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These radios also have an auto shut off function, adjustable by x time setting.
I have installed 4 of these ( and had to return 2 for defects. ) The first install had the x time off in the menu, but it had no xmit output and went back to Rugged. The replacement had really clipped menu options including time off option. The Rugged CSR actually called me about it before shipping the replacement. Not a super big deal with me since it is run with an intercom anyway.

All installs except for my son's P1000 were direct wired to battery. I put a 30 amp capacity relay wired to ignition on his between the radio and battery and and it works fine. His install (that radio had to go back also because of awful audio). Actually, I've gotten to install 6 Rugged GMRS to get 4 working installs. Plus the joy of eating the shipping returns. View attachment 342948
20210921 163656

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not promoting these at all, although my TYT works amazingly well for transmission and reception clarity, both GMRS and Ham frequencies. 30 to 70 miles with repeaters, in the mountains.
I mostly use emergency frequencies.
Steep programming - learning curve at first.
YMMV

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have a few TYTs and they have been golden. Use em for ham bands and some emcom VHF scanning. Software programming isn't too hard. The Rugged intercom interface is the ONLY reason we went with Rugged GMRS which is now type certified and "street legal" so to speak. The Rugged branded TYTs work just fine if you get a good one. We had a run of bad luck I guess. ☹️ A TYT mike with the keypad will allow you to access some of the menus on the neutered Rugged GMRS radios. The TYT on the bottom can do everything plus way more than the Rugged on top......just not legally.
20201201 120454

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine wasn't set on auto shut off this weekend and nearly drained my auxiliary battery.
Thought I fried the radio..had weird static bleed through.

Then I noticed my battery Isolator wasn't kicking a charge over from my main battery. Rode it all that day..checked and no current coming through the Isolator..
Removed the Isolator and found I had damaged it by over tightening one post during installation, breaking the housing and circuit board.
Had a spare, wired it and everything is charging like it's supposed to.

Not a True Am defect. My fault for a gorilla install. I will set the radio shut off now, though..
20220710 162432

Last edited:
ccso280k9

ccso280k9

Nov 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used a 30 amp relay with 45 watt VHF radio. It works good and the radio is controlled by the key.

czajkaej

czajkaej

Jul 2, 2022
Ridgecrest, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have mine going to the Aux Fuse Block, controlled by a solenoid on Key-On, but I also have another switch to activate the solenoid without the motor being on, so I can use the radio. I did a full walk thru including antenna placement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!