Rugged Radio Pig Tail

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have a Rugged Radio ABM-25 or GMR-25 and would be willing to remove the 4 hex screws on top? This will show the circuitry and I would like to know where Rugged is Tapping into the parent radio (TYT-8600) for their intercom pigtail.

I have a TYT that I would like to covert to use the intercom.

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the internals of the TYT. Pretty sure Rugged plumbs their wire in the same place TYT plumbs in the fan. I assume they just drill out the hole larger.
20220930 182018

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
External speaker 6 or 8mm plug in ?
You lose the water rating when the door to access that port is opened.

The contacts for that port are easy to access on the board. They are to the right of where the power leads connect.

It's the mic and PTT I am after still.

Connect those points to a 5 conductor wire and add an XLR mini plug on the end and we are plug and play with Rugged Radio intercoms

Attachments

• 5-Pin-Headset-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
    135.8 KB · Views: 76
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
they sell a plug that plugs into where the mic plugs in, i did a rj45 splitter right there so i can still use the mic, and it also connects to my intercoms.

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw that cable but it is about 75 dollars for a 5 dollar cable and the radio loses it's water rating when the rear port is accessed. It's also a cleaner install when you just have the signals pig tail coming out the back.

Reactions: Smitty335
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dove a bit deeper and removed the faceplate. Easy access to the back of the microphone jack. Easier than I expected honestly.

That gives me access to all the solder connections I need. Just waiting on the 5 conductor cable and mini XLR connector to arrive.

The TYT TH-8600 is available from letsgetsreadyinc.com for 104 dollars with free shipping. The company is here is the US so speaking with them about any issues is straight forward. When done, for a total of less than 115 bucks you have exact the radio that Rugged is selling but with unlocked firmware allowing access to the "full" VHF/UHF band and all the other various features.

I will post up photos of the completed work when I get the wire and connector in hand.

20220930 184903 20221001 082023 20221001 082446 20221001 082435

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Edit- It is sold.

I have a TYT 8600 I’ll let go with magnet mount antenna for $75 + shipping. Never installed.
39D74D87 B4C8 4FD8 9A1B BE78420A7C86

Last edited:
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the list of items I used to complete this project.
TYT TH-8600 Radio
Small Tube of Silicone
5 Conductor 28 awg Wire
Female Mini-XLR Connector
Soldering Iron with Fine Tip
.3mm Solder
Electrical Solder Flux
Toothbrush
Denatured or Rubbing Alcohol

Disassemble the radio as in the photos above.
All it takes is an allen wrench and small torx. One of the torx screw are under a white sticker you have peel off.

Remove the fan and rubber plug for the wires.
 TAE8758

TAE8760

Feed the 5 conductor wire through the hole and remove outer conduit. Feed the white, yellow and red wires through to the front of the radio. These will be connected to back of the microphone jack for the Mic Ground, PTT and Mic Positive. The green and black wires will be connected to the Speaker + and Speaker - at the back of the radio.
 TAE8763

Clean the back of the microphone port with a toothbrush and alcohol.
 TAE8766

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Strip the insulation off the yellow, white, and red wires just a touch. Tin the end of the wires with a bit of solder. Put a small amount of flux on the microphone terminals. Following the TYT Pin-Out diagram, solder the white wire the Ground lug (#2), the yellow wire to the PTT lug (#4) and the red wire to the Mic lug (#1). Remember you will be looking at the back of the connector so adjust accordingly.

TAE8764

TAE8768

Guide the wires and ribbon cable through the slot in the radio case and re-connect the ribbon cable. Go to the rear of the radio where the external speaker jack is affixed to the circuit board. Solder the black wire to the rear (speaker ground) and the green wire to the center (speaker postive).
 TAE8769

Use some silicone to seal up the hole in the case where the pigtail and fan power wires exit. Use some silicone. I would also route/secure the wires inside the radio case in a fashion where they won't rub on items and short out. Some silicone can take care of this.

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Strip of a small amount of the black conduit on the wire, and a small amount off each conductor. Tin the end of each conductor. Put a small amount of flux on the lugs of the new mini-XLR connector and tin each lug with a small amount of solder. Attach the wires. White goes to Lug 1, Yellow to Lug 2, Red to Lug 3, Green to Lug 4, and black to Lug 5. Add some silicone around the lugs to weather seal them and prevent them from shorting out.
 TAE8771

TAE8772

TAE8773

TAE8774

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not too be ignorant or rude. I have this radio, what does this modification accomplish?
It gives you the pigtail to connect your radio into the Rugged intercom system so you can use headsets, remote PTT, and/or talk to the occupants of your machine. The next thing would be to find where Rugged gets their intercom units from as they too are ridiculously expensive. The fact that this kit is over a grand is just flooring...

I have just never been into Rugged Radio as while they are not really doing anything wrong by charging what they do the costs are stupid high and I feel they are just praying on those who are un-informed when it comes to radios. I first noticed them when I saw them charging 80 dollars for a basic Baofeng UV5R that costs 25 dollars. They also programmed their radios with frequencies that were not at all legal for people to use but they advertised this in such a way people thought it was. Not too long ago the FCC gave them a large smack across the face and that is saying something. It takes ALOT to get the attention of the FCC.

Last edited:
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah. I don't have any plans at the moment to push past the point of the radio modification.

I don't use the intercom system but a friend of mine was thinking about it. He needed two systems so this started as a way to at least save him a couple hundred dollars.

I doubt Rugged designed or made their intercom units. It is just a matter of finding where they are sourcing them, plastering their name on it, spending a ton of money on marketing and then selling it at massive mark up.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also am interested in the tyt radio mod. I currently have 2 of these and would like to build another intercom system for my second machine.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah. I don't have any plans at the moment to push past the point of the radio modification.
Do you have the know-how on how to create an intercom on the in-expensive side?
If you do, could you put together an order or build list to create one?
I don't know how to ask that without coming across rude. Please know that is not my intent.

Reactions: Tramguage1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!