Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Have you read through a lot of the past posts and efficiency of them?
They work great!

the issue is more of not getting the cooling system up to temp. I block about 2/3rds of the front radiator to help bring the engine temp up to a good temp faster and keep it there. If you don’t you’ll build condensation up in the crankcase.

I plow in a sweatshirt and pants with my soft enclosure on on the winter.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Fwiw, I use the buddy heater in my golf cart without an enclosure and it works good for what it is.

I don’t like the tip shutoff however as it easily kicks out on mine if I mistakenly hit a bigger bump.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
No need for a heater with tempers like that. Either will heat that cab from what I gather. I helped install an inferno in a machine and it worked well for the one time I experienced it in operation. Soft sided cab that sealed nicely, slight snowfall and about 20 degrees F outside temp. I've also used the golf cart heater with a makeshift cab enclosure that did the trick in about the same conditions previously stated. I think the golf cart heater would work just fine with an actual cab kit instead of the tarps and old campaign signs I used for fun. From everything I have read/experienced the key to any of it is to get the cab sealed up well to keep the heat in. Any kind of wind, being stationary or underway without being good and sealed sucks the heat out immediately. Looking forward to hearing the experiences of you both.
Lebowski

Haha I'm all good, I promise. Seriously was just looking for feedback on specifically the little buddy heater 🤣 . When I first bought the machine, I was set on the inferno. Talked to a few more experienced members and was told the inferno is a coolant operated heater and to save my time and frustration and go straight to a diesel portable.

I'm going to be doing a lot of running and gunning and will no be sitting in the cab for prolonged periods. Figured the little buddy golf cart heater might do the trick on warming up the cab a bit when we are getting gear ready from the truck, taking down the ice hut, getting ready to head back to the truck, etc. I can see it being good for prolonged periods or plowing....but just didn't want to invest the money and time into installing it, if there were going to be issues or it wasn't going to work quickly like I needed it to.

Was trying to avoid typing all of my reasoning and backstory,etc. Was looking for past experience/input on the little buddy heater 🤣

Thanks for everyone's input...even the cordial folks ;)🤣🤣🤣

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 296476

Haha I'm all good, I promise. Seriously was just looking for feedback on specifically the little buddy heater 🤣 . When I first bought the machine, I was set on the inferno. Talked to a few more experienced members and was told the inferno is a coolant operated heater and to save my time and frustration and go straight to a diesel portable.

I'm going to be doing a lot of running and gunning and will no be sitting in the cab for prolonged periods. Figured the little buddy golf cart heater might do the trick on warming up the cab a bit when we are getting gear ready from the truck, taking down the ice hut, getting ready to head back to the truck, etc. I can see it being good for prolonged periods or plowing....but just didn't want to invest the money and time into installing it, if there were going to be issues or it wasn't going to work quickly like I needed it to.

Was trying to avoid typing all of my reasoning and backstory,etc. Was looking for past experience/input on the little buddy heater 🤣

Thanks for everyone's input...even the cordial folks ;)🤣🤣🤣
It will work perfect to heat the cab while you're packing up the ice shanty or loading/unloading the truck. I hacked together a temporary cab and it worked just fine for doing just those types of things.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can not say from experience on the golf cart heater, but I actually use one of the small mr buddy heaters in mine and it works quite well. A friend of mine uses his and just places it on the floor on low. He did have to disable the tip switch because it would keep tripping. The newer unit I have has a different style of switch, so unless you hit the brakes really hard it will keep running just fine. I had mine on the floor, but have actually made up a little support that allows it to sit between the front passengers up against the dash. I even actually installed a little fan on the handle that allows it to blows air back to my kids in the rear seats. I really looked at the golf cart heaters and but like someone said, the unit is pretty big and I didn't know if I could have a good place to put it. I figured I would try the heater I had and have been very happy with it. I know someone will say it is a accident waiting to happen, but they way we ride (SSSLLLOOOWWW) it works really good for my family.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
No need for a heater with tempers like that.
No temper here. I clearly tried repeatedly to avoid a dust up, but he kept coming back in an aggressive manner. At some point, I'm done being cordial. Doesn't matter anymore, I'm done with it.

I read through quite a few thread on the cab heater and most every comment was positive. The only negative comments were that it didn't heat up enough when it was really could out, but that could be addressed by blocking part of the rad. So AFAIC, whole "you just have no idea what you're talking about" is nonsensical.

But, I digress. My 1000-5 will get an Inferno cab heater for sure. Should be a pretty good improvement over the current plow whip ('14 Grizzly 700 EPS + Warn ProVantage setup).

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
No temper here. I clearly tried repeatedly to avoid a dust up, but he kept coming back in an aggressive manner. At some point, I'm done being cordial. Doesn't matter anymore, I'm done with it.

I read through quite a few thread on the cab heater and most every comment was positive. The only negative comments were that it didn't heat up enough when it was really could out, but that could be addressed by blocking part of the rad. So AFAIC, whole "you just have no idea what you're talking about" is nonsensical.

But, I digress. My 1000-5 will get an Inferno cab heater for sure. Should be a pretty good improvement over the current plow whip ('14 Grizzly 700 EPS + Warn ProVantage setup).
Oh I'm all but positive you will really like your Inferno cab heater. Like I said the one I helped install worked quite well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
But, I digress. My 1000-5 will get an Inferno cab heater for sure.

Here lies the problem. This is a 500 thread and a lot of the P1 stuff just doesn't apply. I don't know anything about either heater other than what I've read on here for yrs. Consensus says that the 500 doesn't generate enough heat through the coolant system.

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lets be realistic boys. coolant heaters are ok, but its cold out and that heat should stay in the motor. little buddys are great, keep one in each of my vehicles for winter incase of emergency and the car/ truck wont run so we dont freeze to death before help arrives (also 4lbs or propane). i think a little buddy would work fantastic for what your trying to do. i have been wildly unimpressed with coolant fed cab heaters with small engines. espar or wabco diesel heaters are the answer. most of my 18 wheelers have espar d2 heaters in them to keep the sleeper and cab warm thru the winters up here. some of them i put in the d4's those suckers make heat. if i ever decide to put a cab on my p1 i will be putting in a d4 espar. 2 quarts of diesel would toast you out of that cab on an all day adventure. i have 60 d2s and 10 d4s in operation. hell even the chinese copy cats are like 100$ and seem like they would work for this type of application. my guys need the heaters to run 10-14hrs a night for the whole season, i cant gamble on the china specials.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Here lies the problem. This is a 500 thread and a lot of the P1 stuff just doesn't apply. I don't know anything about either heater other than what I've read on here for yrs. Consensus says that the 500 doesn't generate enough heat through the coolant system.
Here lies the answer: Inferno doesn't only make cab heaters for the 1000. Among others, they make one specifically for the Pioneer 500.

• Haha
Reactions: rustyneversleeps
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here lies the answer: Inferno doesn't only make cab heaters for the 1000. Among others, they make one specifically for the Pioneer 500.

There is? Damn man, you know more about the 500 than we do and you don't even own one!
Wait, you don't own a P1 either?
Pretty sure there's nothing you can tell anyone on this forum that hasn't been known and discussed for yrs, thanks though. :rolleyes:

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
There is? Damn man, you know more about the 500 than we do and you don't even own one!
Wait, you don't own a P1 either?
Pretty sure there's nothing you can tell anyone on this forum that hasn't been known and discussed for yrs, thanks though. :rolleyes:
I know Inferno makes a cab heater for the Pioneer 500, which is all that matters in the context of my post.

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

I built my own coolant heater system a few years ago. Link below.

The heater core is rated for 28,000 btu vs the Inferno that is rated at 18,000. These numbers really don't mean anything as you are harvesting all the heat you can from the 500/520 motor. You're not hitting either one of those numbers off that motor.

A quick numbered list synopsis of how it performs and if it's right for you.
  1. If you want to sit in the cab and idle and get toasty warm without running hard before than it's not for you.
  2. If you want instant heat, when you fire it up, (less that 15 minutes), it's not for you.
  3. If you actively drive the 500/520 and not set around idling then the coolant heater system can create good heat.
  4. The biggest problem with this machine is sealing up the cab. The better you can enclose it the better, which is hard to do. Cruising down the road at 25 mph or more will really blow the heat out of the cab that you are generating. This will be a downfall of any heater system.
  5. And if it gets real cold, aka freezing, you have to fully block the radiator with a piece of cardboard or whatever to get all your heat to the heater core. It literally turns the heater core into your radiator. No it wont' overheat in these cold situations and you will get all the heat of the engine into the cab.
  6. For those that think that coolant heater systems are robbing the P500/520 of the heat that is needed to operate properly. The heater is plumbed in outside the thermostat. So the engine is always operating at it's optimal temp. Anything excess that would be sent to the radiator is what is being harvesting for the heater
Not to stir the hornets nest that this thread has become but the coolant heater shouldn't be dismissed. It just depends on your usage. I personaly would like both heater options. Heater buddy for sitting stationary for long periods and coolant heater for running. Maybe I'll buy one .....

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking about throwing one of these in the cab during the winter/ice fishing for a little extra heat. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these and has any feedback?

Thinking it will need to go in the passenger cup holder, as it might get too hot on the wheel in the driver's side cupholder....

Might consider a 12 volt heated vest like motorcycle riders use also. Wear close to the body with outer wear on top of the vest.

Reactions: toddvdh and Dave75
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Might consider a 12 volt heated vest like motorcycle riders use also. Wear close to the body with outer wear on top of the vest.
Don't forget the heated socks!

advertisement