Not open for further replies.
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to submission BUT I am wanting to replace my wire rope winch line with a synthetic rope,
on a #3500 winch...I've heard too many stories about maintenance required, so I'm asking the pros., this time..
Appreciate all replies, as to what you have found to be the best for your applications....Thx in advance...
PS - Does one need to use a an aluminum fairlead with this type of line and not a roller type as I have..seems like a roller
is better suited....explain to me pls

R

rickoshea

i would like to know how rope compares to wire when it's being used for plowing.(without a plow fairlead) you can't use wire rope with a hawse fairlead but you can use a roller with synth rope.some say it can bind in the corners of the roller but only in an extreme side pull up/down scenario.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Pls do not derail this post with plow talk....thx..

My unit is used primarily on my trapline and 9 time out of 10, no pull is straight ahead, usually at an angle but I cannot see
where a synthetic would get hung up or frayed by a roller fairlead...I could be wrong and may have to learn the hard way.
I just need a dependable set up as I am not "travelling with a pack" in the bush..
Have to ask about it about the weight/ shock comment....there is not that much difference in wights to be a concern...???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Using a new roller fairlead you may not have a issue. But in theory the coroner's can catch and pinch the line and shorten life over time vs a hawse. I would never use a roller that has scratches from cable.

I must recommend a hawse.

You mention rarely straight pulling and you pull at angels another thing you need to watch the walling of the spool. You don't want it to get above the spool wall. So even spread is important.

@rickoshea
Start a new topic. There is lots of info on your request.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Duplicate post.
See

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!