Good - Better - Best

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to submission BUT I am wanting to replace my wire rope winch line with a synthetic rope,
on a #3500 winch...I've heard too many stories about maintenance required, so I'm asking the pros., this time..
Appreciate all replies, as to what you have found to be the best for your applications....Thx in advance...
Not sure if this will double post....but...what about the fairlead.....will the roller type, which I have not work and an aluminum
one be needed....can't see the reasoning

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
What supposed maintenance? The horrors of occasionally running it through a clean bucket of water? Google yourself some vids of braided synthetic line failure vs steel cable. Not to mention the weight reduction, your shocks will thank you.

Oh, and change from a roller fairlead to a smooth aluminum one.

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

i prefer wire for what i use my rig for.i read in my owners manual it's not compatible with rope.it's a runva 4500 lb.my Ram powerwagon has rope but i've only used it twice so i can't give a definitive comparison yet.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
What supposed maintenance? The horrors of occasionally running it through a clean bucket of water? Google yourself some vids of braided synthetic line failure vs steel cable. Not to mention the weight reduction, your shocks will thank you.
A user of this line had breakage problem and was told by his Polaris dealer that the line had to be run out and dried when it got wet......Hello...

R

rickoshea

A user of this line had breakage problem and was told by his Polaris dealer that the line had to be run out and dried when it got wet......Hello...
that's crazy.you can't keep a winch dry unless you keep it in the garage.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I would think that the absense of backlash when breaking when using the synthetic would be the best and safest benefit.
So, I have seen the backlash with nylon rope but they claim that "some" of these ropes are "prestretched".
Would that not eliminate this situation ..???

advertisement
R

rickoshea

Roller fairlead is better for plowing. Hawse is better for angled pulls. Synthetic is better all the way around IMO. Can tie a knot in it if it breaks, won't take your head off if it snaps, no frayed wires to cut your hands up.
you don't think synth rope will f you up if it snaps and hits you??i beg to differ.i've seen first hand what a snapped rope can do.that's what a kinetic damper is for.use it or suffer the consequences.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Roller fairlead is better for plowing. Hawse is better for angled pulls. Synthetic is better all the way around IMO. Can tie a knot in it if it breaks, won't take your head off if it snaps, no frayed wires to cut your hands up.
Maybe my original question was not worded clearly enough....This is not my first rodeo with winching and wire rope...haha
But as far as SYNTHETIC line is concerned and the many products on the market....WHAT is the G, B , Best.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Weeeeeeelllll that's the problem right there!
He had a POO POO!
Question answered ;)

R

rickoshea

Maybe my original question was not worded clearly enough....This is not my first rodeo with winching and wire rope...haha
But as far as SYNTHETIC line is concerned and the many products on the market....WHAT is the G, B , Best.
define g/b/best.thicker means you lose distance.most line is safety tested and rated.are you maxing out your rating every time you winch and are you using snatch blocks and pulling from the first roll on the drum all the time? are you winching out of mud or just up rock trails? if not,it makes little difference.next up,soft shackles vs steel

Reactions: Mudwing
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
$45 will get you two 50ft synthetic lines from Amazon. $25 for a fairlead. Put one on the winch and the other in your recovery bag. Change out your $20+ line once a year If it makes you happy. I have yet to break my synthetic line in over 2 years with alot of winching. I changed it out after one year because it looked rough. The first 1.5 years I had steel cable. Broke it. Would have killed someone if they would have been in the way. Really no debate in the eyes of someone that uses them regularly. My stays wet and muddy. I never pull it out to wash it.

Last edited:
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
define g/b/best.thicker means you lose distance.most line is safety tested and rated.are you maxing out your rating every time you winch and are you using snatch blocks and pulling from the first roll on the drum all the time? are you winching out of mud or just up rock trails? if not,it makes little difference.next up,soft shackles vs steel
As I mentioned at the onset....I only have a #3500 winch. Original wire rope was 1/4" dia..There is no sense in using a #20,000 line, on a winch of this size..plus a full drum decreases you power immensely, I am looking to find a PRODUCT name for a given dia...whether it be 1/4" or 5/16. There is quite an assortment on Amazon to choose from...I'm asking ..which one G - B - Best..???

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!