Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I cc a xds. Pretty accurate little one. m&p shield w/safety would be a little safer loaded. Liked the xds grip better. Alienware iwb with it is comfortable.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I prefer stainless.. but given your wants, I'd just go to a large gun store and look and handle as many different weapons and you could. What feels good to me might not to you. It also obviously depends on what kind of money you want to spend.. Thers something to be said about a guy wearing a western style rig with a shiny 45 long colt on his side! Lmao... you'll defiantly make a statement with your white pearl grips and matching Honda!

IMG 1087 IMG 1088

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

Also.. I'm not a fan of safety's for defensive weapons.. but that's something you really need to ask yourself. Can you and will you train enough to disengage a safety if you have but less than seconds to react?

Reactions: BigOL3 and Hondasxs
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I carry the new Glock 42 it's thinner than the older Glocks. You can get it in 9mm or .380

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer stainless.. but given your wants, I'd just go to a large gun store and look and handle as many different weapons and you could. What feels good to me might not to you. It also obviously depends on what kind of money you want to spend.. Thers something to be said about a guy wearing a western style rig with a shiny 45 long colt on his side! Lmao... you'll defiantly make a statement with your white pearl grips and matching Honda!

View attachment 26039 View attachment 26041
Don't think the big chrome revolver idea hasn't crossed my mind. I've got the Stetson and wranglers lol

advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll look at those. Too bulky can get uncomfortable after wearing it all day.
The G43 is a good weapon. Only weighs in a little over 22 oz. fully loaded. 6+1 cap. Single stack in 9mm

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'll be heading to the local gun shop this weekend and putting my hands in a few, that'll give me a good idea. That Glock looks like it might be a little small for my taste. I prefer larger frame pisols

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'll be heading to the local gun shop this weekend and putting my hands in a few, that'll give me a good idea. That Glock looks like it might be a little small for my taste. I prefer larger frame pisols
The most important thing is find a weapon that is comfortable for you to carry and manipulate. If it's not comfortable you won't carry it and that defeats the purpose. Good luck.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The holster is a very important when it comes to comfort also. I use a Bianchi holster for my a Glock 42, it is molded leather very comfortable especially when it gets broken in.

Reactions: GlockMeister
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The holster is a very important when it comes to comfort also. I use a Bianchi holster for my a Glock 42, it is molded leather very comfortable especially when it gets broken in.
Yeah, I prefer leather to hard plastic any day. Not sure how is like the ones that keep it right at your belt line. I'd think a "Western" style that hangs on your hip would be more comfortable

Reactions: JTW
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Please don't take offense at this but frankly there isn't one.

Unless you are wearing a duty belt and a Level 4 retention holster along with the training on weapon retention and ground fighting to go along with it.

Bear with me.

I firmly believe in the 2A and CCW anywhere and I have had a CCW and do so on a regular basis since 1997.

That being said Civilians have NO BUSINESS open carrying firearms unless you are on private property hunting or something like that. It is a very, very bad idea to be in public.

-It "scares the horses". Face it, a significant number of people in the US have no firearm training and no experience with weapons. Seeing people that aren't police carrying weapons is "intimidating" to them. Particularly if that person is physically smaller and/or of a different sex/ethnicity than the person carrying the weapon. This does nothing to help our cause and ultimately hurts it as people don't like being fearful and they vote on their fears.

-There are morons everywhere, including gun owners. While you may be a 100% "switched on" individual there is a Cleetus doppleganger of you somewhere that will be doing unsafe things with his sidearm because he wants to "feel big" by making everyone look at him and fear him and will carry the weapon unsafely. See point #1.

-Carrying a weapon opening makes you a "shoot me first" target during an attack and you give up your primary tactical advantage which is surprise. You don't have a radio, you don't have a vest, you don't have backup but you have a gun which means if someone starts attacking and you are the focus, you probably lose because action beats reaction. This also negates the primary benefit of a CCW armed society in that perps don't know who does and who doesn't have a gun so they avoid targeting people who may be armed.

-Guns in "normal" non retention holsters are grab targets of opportunity for thieves and psychopaths. Even with your head on a swivel you can't be 100% observant of everyone around you and you will be giving a weapon to someone that absolutely shouldn't have it.

-It makes extra work on LEOs. If you aren't a cop, they don't know if you are a law abiding citizen exercising a fundamental right or a nutcase trying at best to intimidate the sheeple or at worst a wolf looking to prey upon some so they are taking their attention away from real problems and keeping a weather eye on you because they don't know you. If you were concealed, they would be oblivious and could focus on keeping the real criminals at bay rather than watching you.

DO carry a gun.

DO get training.

DON'T carry openly in public.

Stay inside the OODA loop of your potential adversaries and keep that iron hidden until it is needed.
Your point is accepted. I understand where you are coming from.

However: The gun control activists and liberals all want to point out the "Cleetus Dopplegangers" and try to regulate us to 100% safety and we the "sheeple" are expected to lay down our dangerous unnecessary guns to prevent that one in a million "wolf" from being able to strike.

I say lets beat the sh_t out of anyone that abuses gun ownership by using it in a criminal way.

OH! You are absolutely right. If a gun is taken out in public, it needs to be strapped in tight so that it cannot be removed by someone else. (without wrestling for it).

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The G42 is a good weapon. Only weighs in a little over 22 oz. fully loaded. 6+1 cap. Single stack in 9mm

The 43 is the 9mm, the 42 is .380.

Personally I carry a G19, G26 or a NAA Guardian in .32 ACP depending on how I have to dress. My wife carries a G42 and loves it. I need to spend some more time with it as the few times I have fired it, because it is so small it tended to squirm around in my hand more than I like.

Avoiding the open carry/CCW debate, there are certain brands I would avoid.

-Taurus anything. I used to own a Taurus PT92, actually my second handgun ever, never a problem but my life is worth more than taking that chance

-High Point - Zamak (No reason to go further)

-Springfield Armory XD anything. It is made it Croatia, would you buy a car or a computer or cell phone designed and manufactured in Croatia? Why would you buy something that could be something you may stake your life on from them? Not to mention it used to be imported by another company (out of Knoxville) for less than 1/2 the cost that SA charges for the same design. I had a bad experience with one where a grain of sand (from riding ATVs in an open top, open carry holster by the way) kept the grip safety from actuating and we couldn't get the gun to fire nor could we clear the live round because the grip safety locked the slide closed. Finally with the application of lots of water and a knife blade, we got the grip safety un-jammed. My life is worth more than that.

You will usually be fairly safe getting anything from S&W, Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger and maybe a few others (FN, CZ, Browning, Walther). That being said, avoid the "special snowflake" guns. There is a reason that most police departments across the US utilize certain brands of firearms and not others. It isn't because they are the cheapest or have the best marketing campaign either.

If you decide you are going 1911, be prepared to spend some serious cash and/or get really good at gunsmithing.

I saw where you mentioned a drop leg holster. Don't. Drop leg holsters exist to allow people to clear bulky body armor. They suck for carrying. Get a high quality well made holster that holds the handgun as high and tight as possible and better yet has at least some form of retention. That means no "tactical nylon" anything! :) You also need a real belt. Not something you buy at Wal-mart. You need a high quality (read thick) leather or riggers belt that is as wide as possible. Particularly if you are going with a heavier gun. Heavier guns will tend to pull the holster outwards and a wider belt will distribute that load across a larger area and both make it more comfortable and keep the weapon where you can get to it.

Remember that it is a right AND a responsibility.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!