BOX1

Good gun for open carry.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So true. The reality is caliber doesn’t matter. It’s what you can reliably hit with.
It is true ANY caliber can potentially kill a person. That does NOT equate to "caliber does not matter". I hope to never get shot, but if I do, from the victim standpoint, I rather it be a .380 or .32 and NOT a .45, .40, or .357 ...... I am just crazy that way ..... lol. From the shooter standpoint, if I could not control a big caliber, I would try the smaller caliber until I found one that worked for me. Kinda like if I get in an auto accident, I prefer it be with a 1600# smart car rather than a 80,000# Semi. You might get kill with either of them, depending on the variable, but I like the odds of the smart car better ...... I am just crazy that way ..... lol.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know the OP didn't want to hear any negative comments about open carry, but here it is anyway. @Crow_Hunter basically hit the nail on the head. Like it or not, the Libtards are focusing their attention on US, the legal gun owners. We should do our best NOT to appear as if we are attempting to intimidate the normal folks. I believe open carry in populated areas does hurt our cause. If you're in a small backwoods town where everyone carrys anyway... who cares. Not in the city where you're surrounded by non-firearm type folks. The average dude looks at you with suspicion, and figures you're just trying to be barney badass.

Please don't take offense at this but frankly there isn't one.

Unless you are wearing a duty belt and a Level 4 retention holster along with the training on weapon retention and ground fighting to go along with it.

Bear with me.

I firmly believe in the 2A and CCW anywhere and I have had a CCW and do so on a regular basis since 1997.

That being said Civilians have NO BUSINESS open carrying firearms unless you are on private property hunting or something like that.
**I don't agree with the verbiage here. Civilians DO have the right to open carry. My opinion is that they shouldn't, for reasons stated further down in this post.

It is a very, very bad idea to be in public.

-It "scares the horses". Face it, a significant number of people in the US have no firearm training and no experience with weapons. Seeing people that aren't police carrying weapons is "intimidating" to them. Particularly if that person is physically smaller and/or of a different sex/ethnicity than the person carrying the weapon.

This does nothing to help our cause and ultimately hurts it as people don't like being fearful and they vote on their fears.
**THIS^^

-There are morons everywhere, including gun owners. While you may be a 100% "switched on" individual there is a Cleetus doppleganger of you somewhere that will be doing unsafe things with his sidearm because he wants to "feel big" by making everyone look at him and fear him and will carry the weapon unsafely. See point #1.
**Most times I see someone carrying openly (unless I'm out in the woods) it appears they have a "look at me" attitude.

-Carrying a weapon opening makes you a "shoot me first" target during an attack and you give up your primary tactical advantage which is surprise.
**BINGO!! You have LOST the most important tactical advantage; the element of surprise.

You don't have a radio, you don't have a vest, you don't have backup but you have a gun which means if someone starts attacking and you are the focus, you probably lose because action beats reaction. This also negates the primary benefit of a CCW armed society in that perps don't know who does and who doesn't have a gun so they avoid targeting people who may be armed.

-Guns in "normal" non retention holsters are grab targets of opportunity for thieves and psychopaths. Even with your head on a swivel you can't be 100% observant of everyone around you and you will be giving a weapon to someone that absolutely shouldn't have it.
**Truth.

-It makes extra work on LEOs. If you aren't a cop, they don't know if you are a law abiding citizen exercising a fundamental right or a nutcase trying at best to intimidate the sheeple or at worst a wolf looking to prey upon some so they are taking their attention away from real problems and keeping a weather eye on you because they don't know you. If you were concealed, they would be oblivious and could focus on keeping the real criminals at bay rather than watching you.
**100% correct.

DO carry a gun.

DO get training.

DON'T carry openly in public.

Stay inside the OODA loop of your potential adversaries and keep that iron hidden until it is needed.

J

JTW

I know the OP didn't want to hear any negative comments about open carry, but here it is anyway. @Crow_Hunter basically hit the nail on the head. Like it or not, the Libtards are focusing their attention on US, the legal gun owners. We should do our best NOT to appear as if we are attempting to intimidate the normal folks. I believe open carry in populated areas does hurt our cause. If you're in a small backwoods town where everyone carrys anyway... who cares. Not in the city where you're surrounded by non-firearm type folks. The average dude looks at you with suspicion, and figures you're just trying to be barney badass.
Common sense goes a long way. I’m as pro carry as it gets but if I see a dude in Walmart packing an AR around I’m prolly gunna follow him thru the store and be on high alert.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Common sense goes a long way. I’m as pro carry as it gets but if I see a dude in Walmart packing an AR around I’m prolly gunna follow him thru the store and be on high alert.

Yep. Problem is, "common sense" isn't so common anymore. In fact.. it's almost a super-power. :)

Daily, I see people who's noggin is so far up their anus it'd take surgery to remove it.

Reactions: SFC and JTW
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Yep. Problem is, "common sense" isn't so common anymore. In fact.. it's almost a super-power. :)

Daily, I see people who's noggin is so far up their anus it'd take surgery to remove it.
That is so true brother that it's scarry.

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Out of curiosity how many here attend regular training classes or train/practice with a structured plan for each session? Is it just fun range time slinging lead down range or is it a structured practice session with goals and performance standards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since buying the Honda - not as much - before then at least 2 to 3 times a month and 3 times a week and dry firing every night when getting ready for a match.. I would have specific drills or skills I was working on at each practice under timer as well.

Weather this spring dampened the practice sessions but I will still dry fire a couple times a week

I try and take at least one training class Every two years. But I also have friend who are firearm instructors that coach on a pretty regular basis

J

JTW

Since buying the Honda - not as much - before then at least 2 to 3 times a month and 3 times a week and dry firing every night when getting ready for a match.. I would have specific drills or skills I was working on at each practice under timer as well.

Weather this spring dampened the practice sessions but I will still dry fire a couple times a week

I try and take at least one training class Every two years. But I also have friend who are firearm instructors that coach on a pretty regular basis
Why’s the biggest load you shoot for a competition? :)

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why’s the biggest load you shoot for a competition? :)
When shooting USPSA I shoot limited division the most and there I usually shoot a 40 cal with 21+ 1 capacity. Basically choosing 40cal because it is the caliber that you can hold the most rounds in a 104mm magazine and still make major power factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!