Good gun for open carry.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little caliber war info with scientific data...

9mm Versus .45 acp

Read that forum, extremely good info on all aspects of firearms and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will take FIRST HAND knowledge over that data any day. If I really believed that, I would start deer hunting with a 22, instead of 270, since the difference in energy must not matter.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nope, it’s all ballistics data and real world reports of actual shootings.

I’m not here to change your mind, carry and shoot what you like.

I use the milk jug filled with water test, 9mm just pokes a hole, 45ACP explodes, not to scientific and doesn't take a chronograph. HA! I HAVE A BERETA 9MM OLD STYLE FRAME, FOR SALE? Sorry didn't have my hearing aids in!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will take FIRST HAND knowledge over that data any day. If I really believed that, I would start deer hunting with a 22, instead of 270, since the difference in energy must not matter.
Truth be known, probably more deer taken and wasted with a 22 cal than any other. Due to the cheap rounds price, for people that were short of funds and food.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
It’s all good, carry on.

Reactions: mjn
J

JTW

While I will say that the 9mm ammo of today is better than that of 20-30 years ago. If it’s a subsonic round.. bigger IS better! That’s not taking weight, capacity or anything else into account, as I believe that’s a personal preference thing. But Statistics can be manipulated to support any claim... look at climate change! Lol.. Sometimes that old school logic and first hand experience is more accurate than the lastest data! I’d just assume not get shot with either.. but there’s a reason a shotgun with buck and slugs is sitting by the bed.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I will say that the 9mm ammo of today is better than that of 20-30 years ago. If it’s a subsonic round.. bigger IS better! That’s not taking weight, capacity or anything else into account, as I believe that’s a personal preference thing. But Statistics can be manipulated to support any claim... look at climate change! Lol.. Sometimes that old school logic and first hand experience is more accurate than the lastest data! I’d just assume not get shot with either.. but there’s a reason a shotgun with buck and slugs is sitting by the bed.
No doubt a 9mm can kill a man, so can a 22 ...... with IDEAL shot placement. In the heat of battle, no one will make perfect shots everytime. Bigger is not better, IF a person can not effectively shot it. In that case, get something they can control. For those that CAN put the heavy rounds in the kill zone, I call it good insurance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No doubt a 9mm can kill a man, so can a 22 ...... with IDEAL shot placement. In the heat of battle, no one will make perfect shots everytime. Bigger is not better, IF a person can not effectively shot it. In that case, get something they can control. For those that CAN put the heavy rounds in the kill zone, I call it good insurance.
WelI I need a little time to think about that, Ok enough time, bigger is better!

Reactions: JTW and Dp5hunter
J

JTW

Agreed... one of the main reasons departments in this part of the world transitioned were female officers and smaller stature men that couldn’t shoot the heavier recoil. Also, that was the time of the magazine capacity craze.

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nothing says you don’t need to be here than the sound of racking a shell in a pump 12 gauge!

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Out of curiosity how many here attend regular training classes or train/practice with a structured plan for each session? Is it just fun range time slinging lead down range or is it a structured practice session with goals and performance standards?

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Out of curiosity how many here attend regular training classes or train/practice with a structured plan for each session? Is it just fun range time slinging lead down range or is it a structured practice session with goals and performance standards?

Just shooting for fun and some practice.
Edit- my father toute me what I know about shooting.

Reactions: Max718
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Practice regularly. Shoot a lot for training and for fun.
What was embarrassing was at the neighbors range shooting a couple of months ago and was watching a couple of police officers shooting a course and when they finished they wanted to handle the Kimber that I had been shooting. We got talking about shooting and one of them started running his mouth and putting down "citizens carrying" and being able to shoot accurately. I asked if he would let me handle and shoot his weapon and proceeded to outshoot him with his own weapon.

That's why I carry and practice. Somebody has to be there when push comes to shove!

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Practice regularly. Shoot a lot for training and for fun.
What was embarrassing was at the neighbors range shooting a couple of months ago and was watching a couple of police officers shooting a course and when they finished they wanted to handle the Kimber that I had been shooting. We got talking about shooting and one of them started running his mouth and putting down "citizens carrying" and being able to shoot accurately. I asked if he would let me handle and shoot his weapon and proceeded to outshoot him with his own weapon.

That's why I carry and practice. Somebody has to be there when push comes to shove!

Putting in the work and doing it right.

Good drill is the 10x10x10 “The Test”

10 yards 10 rounds 10 seconds to a B8 target
90+ points is pass 89 and below is fail.
Shoot from concealment.

Better test is 25x10x10
25 yards 10 rounds 10 seconds

Train hard, train safe.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My wife is scared to death of guns, I have wondered if any one makes a devise that sounds like a pump shot gun being chambered? That would be perfect for her.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trained regularly for 32+ yrs with LSP. Since retiring we have a yearly 're-qualify training' for retirees to meet LEO CC requirement. I have missed the last 3 due to conflict dates for turkey season.

Just last week I went to shoot at the family range and was amazed how the muscle memory was still so functional after a 3 yr layoff, esp with the .357mag. That is on top of the 'age' and old eyes. 25yds brings out the weakness of the old eyes, but 10 yrds is still ...... shame on him!

Putting in the work and doing it right.

Good drill is the 10x10x10 “The Test”

10 yards 10 rounds 10 seconds to a B8 target
90+ points is pass 89 and below is fail.
Shoot from concealment.

Better test is 25x10x10
25 yards 10 rounds 10 seconds
Nothing wrong with training at 25 yds, but most police/self defense shooting are up close and personal. Yes, we trained from 3-25yds, with time limits. Training at 10yds with time limit is really good. Training at 3-5 yds is even better. At 3 yds, we had the gun tucked tight into your side, just above the holster, and shoot instinctive, no aim. Put the most training in the area that most likely (odds are) will occur. For individuals self defense, I would put 75% of time at 10 yds or less.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Illinois requires 16 hours for a ccw. I do practice drawing, firing and reloading regularly. It’s always interesting to see how quickly you get clumsy.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
SFC

SFC

Apr 22, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
I believe that the best carry gun is one that you are comfortable with shooting. If it doesn’t fit then it won’t work.
I also agree that you must spent time using the gun. Not everyone is a police officer or had military training and to me that doesn’t matter. PRACTICE does.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I believe that the best carry gun is one that you are comfortable with shooting. If it doesn’t fit then it won’t work.
I also agree that you must spent time using the gun. Not everyone is a police officer or had military training and to me that doesn’t matter. PRACTICE does.

So true. The reality is caliber doesn’t matter. It’s what you can reliably hit with.

Reactions: JTW and Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!