P500 Good story about why I chose the Pioneer 500...

P

PNWGuy

Last week was one of my "short weeks" at work. I work 12-hour shifts. So I work three 12-hour shifts and get four days off in a row one week, then the next week, I work four 12-hour shifts and get three days off.

It's a good gig. I don't make a ton of money, but I get a lot of time off and it's low stress. Living in an area with millions of acres of wilderness a half hour away gives me the opportunity to really enjoy nature.

Last week was a short week so I had four days off. I spent the first day off, Wednesday, visiting a couple of different UTV dealerships in the region sitting in and test driving every 50"" UTV on the market.

I had just sold my Jeep Wrangler and my Polaris ATV; both of which I purchased to explore the vast wilderness at my doorstep. I discovered after a couple of summers was that the Jeep was too wide to fit around the gates that guarded every single interesting road that led deep into the wilderness. Every road that wasn't gated off by the Forest Service or timber companies could be explored with my mildly lifted SUV. Or a freakin' Subaru.

The 2001 Polaris that I rescued from a neighbor's back yard and refurbished was capable, but unreliable. Plus, my companion, Rowdy, couldn't fit on it with me. He's a 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix that my daughter adopted from a shelter in 2009 at age three. Do the math and he's living on borrowed time. She got married after high school and moved to Japan with her Air Force husband. I got divorced a few years ago and bought a house in a small town in Idaho after moving back home from Arizona. I adopted Rowdy when she moved to Japan and Rowdy kept me sane.

We have been exploring the outback of Arizona and Idaho ever since.

He loved riding in the Jeep and refused to ride in a trailer pulled by the Polaris. So I had to leave him behind if I wanted to explore the woods.

We have gone on a bunch of hiking trips and he loves them, but I'm 49 and fat, and he's old. So our trips were limited to a few miles at most.

I got the bright idea that a UTV might be the answer. I wanted something that could go around the gates and had a large enough rack to fit Rowdy. I didn't want to spend more than $10k. I watched numerous Youtube videos and learned that I didn't want used; rednecks beat the heck out of their machines after a few beers and then sell them when they can't make the payments.

That led me to my quest last week of checking out every 50" UTV on the market.

The most comfortable and best fit was the Polaris RZR 570. The most fun was the Can Am Maverick Trail 800. The most reasonable and reliable was the Pioneer 500.

I spent all day Wednesday checking them out.

So on Thursday, I loaded up my retro-camper and headed 27 miles away into the relatively isolated Idaho woods. Found a perfect spot next to Bonami Creek just off a dirt/gravel road and spent about an hour or so setting up the vintage pop-up camper...

OFffz1kl4pdcJ66E1y msVmq4icsG9MBZOyZ6n 9JY0pX92IB

I then decided to take a short hike up the game trail next to the camp spot with Rowdy and my custom-built Marlin lever-action rifle in .45 Colt designed to offer protection while exploring against bears and wolves.

KH9DL1d48L8L4F5XPaF4STZgCH8RR8KoRG4u5oVX0qUpX92IB

Rowdy and I get about 300 yards up the draw and Rowdy starts sniffing and marking his territory like he does when we go for walks in town and he detects other canines.

YNMs1hODpn8sKZ2PCm ekEPJi yDiEIn18Q6gHngu2EpX92IB

I soon discover some wolf scat. It's very, very fresh. Less than a half hour old. I will spare you the photos of animal droppings...

So what does this have to do with buying a P5??

Rowdy and I spent the rest of the evening listening to the Sirius radio in my Yukon, next to the campfire, sipping whiskey, and pondering the various UTV choices. I was torn between the sexy and flashy Maverick and the reliable but utilitarian P5.

Suddenly, the satellite radio stopped. I had foolishly let it play too long. The battery in my Yukon was dead. I turned off the key and spent another hour or so enjoying a cheap cigar and more whiskey while wondering if our wolf friend had returned and was checking us out. I went to bed and fell fast asleep.

The next morning, I awoke with a terrible hangover and the realization that it was Friday morning and no one had driven by my camp site for the last 14 hours. I cooked breakfast, grabbed my survival pack, and proceeded to hike out of the woods. My plan was to reach cell service about 4-5 miles away and call my brother to come give me a jump start.

I got a couple of miles down the mountain when I heard a group of ATVs approach.

There were three of them and they were owned by a bunch of good ol' boys who had been chasing bears with their hounds all morning. The first two were 700cc ATVs and the last was a 2015 Pioneer 500. I told them that my battery had died and the one guy offered to go retrieve his pickup and come give me a jump start in about an hour or so.

I hiked back to camp and proceeded to break down camp and get ready to leave. The guy showed up in an old F-150 and got me started in about 5 minutes.

He then told me that he had a 2017 P5 at home and extolled the virtues of it. We talked for about an hour about ATVs and UTVs and how much he loved his 2017 but urged me to buy a 2015 with the lower gears for better hill-climbing ability.

I took the interaction as a sign from God. I drove back home, showered, and headed to the bank. Told them I wanted the 2018 Pioneer 500 and to get the paperwork started.

I pick it up on Thursday.

And that is how I decided to buy a P5.

I realized that although a sexy Can Am would make me more attractive to the opposite sex(yeah, I'm single and need a girlfriend...), and a Polaris Rzr 570 was more comfortable; that the Honda would get me back out of the woods and home safely to enjoy the things that really matter.

Since committing to the Pioneer and coming to terms with my decision, I do not regret pulling the trigger on one. It makes the most sense and I believe, is the best choice for the truly wild areas that I explore.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am a published author and enjoy pounding the keys once in a while...

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Last week was one of my "short weeks" at work. I work 12-hour shifts. So I work three 12-hour shifts and get four days off in a row one week, then the next week, I work four 12-hour shifts and get three days off.

It's a good gig. I don't make a ton of money, but I get a lot of time off and it's low stress. Living in an area with millions of acres of wilderness a half hour away gives me the opportunity to really enjoy nature.

Last week was a short week so I had four days off. I spent the first day off, Wednesday, visiting a couple of different UTV dealerships in the region sitting in and test driving every 50"" UTV on the market.

I had just sold my Jeep Wrangler and my Polaris ATV; both of which I purchased to explore the vast wilderness at my doorstep. I discovered after a couple of summers was that the Jeep was too wide to fit around the gates that guarded every single interesting road that led deep into the wilderness. Every road that wasn't gated off by the Forest Service or timber companies could be explored with my mildly lifted SUV. Or a freakin' Subaru.

The 2001 Polaris that I rescued from a neighbor's back yard and refurbished was capable, but unreliable. Plus, my companion, Rowdy, couldn't fit on it with me. He's a 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix that my daughter adopted from a shelter in 2009 at age three. Do the math and he's living on borrowed time. She got married after high school and moved to Japan with her Air Force husband. I got divorced a few years ago and bought a house in a small town in Idaho after moving back home from Arizona. I adopted Rowdy when she moved to Japan and Rowdy kept me sane.

He loved riding in the Jeep and refused to ride in a trailer pulled by the Polaris. So I had to leave him behind if I wanted to explore the woods.

We have gone on a bunch of hiking trips and he loves them, but I'm 49 and fat, and he's old. So our trips were limited to a few miles at most.

I got the bright idea that a UTV might be the answer. I wanted something that could go around the gates and had a large enough rack to fit Rowdy. I didn't want to spend more than $10k. I watched numerous Youtube videos and learned that I didn't want used; rednecks beat the heck out of their machines after a few beers and then sell them when they can't make the payments.

The most comfortable and best fit was the Polaris RZR 570. The most fun was the Can Am Maverick Trail 800. The most reasonable and reliable was the Pioneer 500.

So on Thursday, I loaded up my retro-camper and headed 27 miles away into the relatively isolated Idaho woods. Found a perfect spot next to Bonami Creek just off a dirt/gravel road and spent about an hour or so setting up the vintage pop-up camper...

View attachment 81863

I then decided to take a short hike up the game trail next to the camp spot with Rowdy and my custom-built Marlin lever-action rifle in .45 Colt designed to offer protection while exploring against bears and wolves.

View attachment 81865

Rowdy and I get about 300 yards up the draw and Rowdy starts sniffing and marking his territory like he does when we go for walks in town and he detects other canines.

View attachment 81866

I soon discover some wolf scat. It's very, very fresh. Less than a half hour old. I will spare you the photos of animal droppings...

Rowdy and I spent the rest of the evening listening to the Sirius radio in my Yukon, next to the campfire, sipping whiskey, and pondering the various UTV choices. I was torn between the sexy and flashy Maverick and the reliable but utilitarian P5.

Suddenly, the satellite radio stopped. I had foolishly let it play too long. The battery in my Yukon was dead. I turned off the key and spent another hour or so enjoying a cheap cigar and more whiskey while wondering if our wolf friend had returned and was checking us out. I went to bed and fell fast asleep.

The next morning, I awoke with a terrible hangover and the realization that it was Friday morning and no one had driven by my camp site for the last 14 hours. I cooked breakfast, grabbed my survival pack, and proceeded to hike out of the woods. My plan was to reach cell service about 4-5 miles away and call my brother to come give me a jump start.

I got a couple of miles down the mountain when I heard a group of ATVs approach.

There were three of them and they were owned by a bunch of good ol' boys who had been chasing bears with their hounds all morning. The first two were 700cc ATVs and the last was a 2015 Pioneer 500. I told them that my battery had died and the one guy offered to go retrieve his pickup and come give me a jump start in about an hour or so.

I hiked back to camp and proceeded to break down camp and get ready to leave. The guy showed up in an old F-150 and got me started in about 5 minutes.

He then told me that he had a 2017 P5 at home and extolled the virtues of it. We talked for about an hour about ATVs and UTVs and how much he loved his 2017 but urged me to buy a 2015 with the lower gears for better hill-climbing ability.

I took the interaction as a sign from God. I drove back home, showered, and headed to the bank. Told them I wanted the 2018 Pioneer 500 and to get the paperwork started.

I realized that although a sexy Can Am would make me more attractive to the opposite sex(yeah, I'm single and need a girlfriend...), and a Polaris Rzr 570 was more comfortable; that the Honda would get me back out of the woods and home safely to enjoy the things that really matter.

Since committing to the Pioneer and coming to terms with my decision, I do not regret pulling the trigger on one. It makes the most sense and I believe, is the best choice for the truly wild areas that I explore.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am a published author and enjoy pounding the keys once in a while...
Welcome
You made a good choice
Concerned about your choice in whiskey though.The reason I drink whiskey is no hangover..
I do drink it straight..
Also great story

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club, you made a great choice. I too agonized about what I would buy back when I was shopping for a side by side. I was stuck between the P5 and a Yamaha Wolverine. You won’t regret the pioneer, it’s a very reliable machine. Keep in mind it’s never to late to land a second job at the local auto parts store...you’re going to need the money for all of the mods you will want to do. Have fun and be safe.

P.s. Great story, I enjoyed the read.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Great Lakes State! You made a good choice, your gona love it!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's a good story @PNWGuy . Almost didn't read it as it looked pretty lengthy but it made for a good read. They're not the most popular machines out there so having one show up to save you sounds like fate to me. Might want to invest in a little Noco jumpstarter if you plan on doing much more of that listening and drinking thing. ;)

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Kentucky, time to switch to a good Kentucky Bourbon. Not sure that would have helped the dead battery but at least it would have left a better taste in your mouth.

P

PNWGuy

I forgot how brutal too many Seven and Sevens can be... Normally enjoy a Jameson's on the rocks or a good scotch and in moderation so usually no ill effects.
Welcome from Kentucky, time to switch to a good Kentucky Bourbon. Not sure that would have helped the dead battery but at least it would have left a better taste in your mouth.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good choice sir. I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's a phenomenal little machine! Let the build begin and let's hit some trails!
P.S. pictures or it didn't happen...
IMG 1075

D

Deleted member 3748

Suddenly, the satellite radio stopped. I had foolishly let it play too long. The battery in my Yukon was dead.

Great story and great purchase. I had the P500 for 2-1/2 years and it never let me down. Although I did have a problem with my truck and had to let it sit for a few months. The battery was toast... not even the power locks would work. I plugged in my little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life. I drove 30 miles to the next stop and shut it down. The battery has surely recharged by now, right? Nope. This battery is ruined. Plugged in the little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life. Off to the gas station. I know the battery is done so I plugged in the little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life and took me home. I plugged the Noco back into its charger and it was still reading fully charged.

https://amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 81863

View attachment 81865

View attachment 81866

Good story! And WELCOME!

P

PNWGuy

Great story and great purchase. I had the P500 for 2-1/2 years and it never let me down. Although I did have a problem with my truck and had to let it sit for a few months. The battery was toast... not even the power locks would work. I plugged in my little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life. I drove 30 miles to the next stop and shut it down. The battery has surely recharged by now, right? Nope. This battery is ruined. Plugged in the little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life. Off to the gas station. I know the battery is done so I plugged in the little Noco and boom that V8 roared back to life and took me home. I plugged the Noco back into its charger and it was still reading fully charged.

I've been looking at those ultra compact battery packs... My dad bought one. Gave me his old giant one after I told him what happened, LOL.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've been looking at those ultra compact battery packs... My dad bought one. Gave me his old giant one after I told him what happened, LOL.

The days of jumper cables are gone when you have one of those. Yeah, dad's are cool like that, nowadays I'm the one that's giving. ;)

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great story and welcome! You and @DG Rider should have some great conversations!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ordered one and thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!