Got a free Pioneer but it makes a noise

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just bought a house in the mountains and they threw in the 2018 Pioneer 700 4 so I'm joining the club. Thanks for having me!

The Honda only has a couple hundred miles on it so nearly new but it makes a clacking metallic clattering noise sometimes when coasting. It almost sounds like a loose chain on a motorcycle. It only does it when there is no load on the engine. If I accelerate it goes away and if the hill gets steep enough that the engine is braking it goes away.

Any suggestions and fixes most appreciated and I look forward to hanging out here for years to come!

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

I am sure some of the 700 owners will chime in with their thoughts on the noise your new rig is making.

Remember...pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Clutch adjustment maybe? Not sure if you adjust a 700 clutch like you do a 500. My wife had a 700 and she never had this issue. However, on my old P5 I had this exact thing happening and I convinced myself the noise was coming from the rear diff. I bought new bearings for the rear diff and tore it all apart only to find everything was tight in there. Put it all back together and investigated further and come to find out the clutch needed to be adjusted. I guess when I dropped it in gear the internal clutch would rotate 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn before it started rotating the driveshaft and when it did it had the same noise you describe. I adjusted the clutch and problem went away. Not sure if the P7 drivetrain is the same.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome aboard. I assume the new home is in Colorado and not Costa Rica. Either place is fine. We are coming to visit.

Check your axles. A universal join can rattle like that. See if all the boots are in new condition.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. Without hearing it myself, I think it might be the rear brakes making noise possibly from sitting. I would jack it up and spin the wheels by hand to see if you can isolate the noise. Otherwise the 7hundo is a solid machine. Enjoy the new house and ride. 😎
#ntc😎

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the club
We had more then good luck with our 700, it’s a solid machine.
Can you possibly send a video with the noise for some to hear? Just put on YouTube and copy/paste link.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just bought a house in the mountains and they threw in the 2018 Pioneer 700 4 so I'm joining the club. Thanks for having me!

The Honda only has a couple hundred miles on it so nearly new but it makes a clacking metallic clattering noise sometimes when coasting. It almost sounds like a loose chain on a motorcycle. It only does it when there is no load on the engine. If I accelerate it goes away and if the hill gets steep enough that the engine is braking it goes away.

Any suggestions and fixes most appreciated and I look forward to hanging out here for years to come!
Welcome here. You bought a pioneer and they threw in a house....😎

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 700 is know to be pretty noisy in the rear end, and most people related it to straight cut differential gears or the pinion brake. When I had my 700, I let a friend drive and I sat in the back seat. I thought it was going to blow apart because how noisy it was coasting down a hill or on the flat. I looked it over and searched the forum back then but everyone said to just drive it. I sold it at 4500 miles and the new owner is pushing 6000. I would check the rear brake and like someone said maybe apply the emergency brake to see if it helps, but it might just be how it is.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ride it like you stole it! If you need anymore assurance take to dealership. Mine has made a clacking sound since new, coasting down inclines, coasting on flat ground and down shifting! When you get back from a ride enjoy the home. Welcome aboard from Northeast Texas!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's probably normal. For sure, check the joints and stuff...but it's probably fine.

Here's a video I made of my 1st pioneer 700. Notice the downhill where you get the clanks and crunches, in addition to the braking "gear lash". It was still doing it at 8900 miles when I sold it...so I guess it gets a pass.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!